Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forum Meet Ups: Why Don't You Go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Forum Grudges, afraid of getting thumped.
    I always get the impression that everyone else would already know each other and I'd wandering about looking slightly lost, saying 'hi, I'm super_furry,' with everyone asking 'who?' or nodding politely before turning to their mates.

+1:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

funk-you wrote: »
    No point going to a huge sausage fest, we all know there's no wimmimz on the internet.

-Funk
    So irishird is really irishbbloke?:eek: Holy gender confusing awkward bedroom moments batman, somebody better go and tell DesF immediately. Before its too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Generally do two introductions...maybe three if I feel like telling folks I'm esteban. I just really wanted an award that night :(

Suits me more to go now cos I'm in DUB but looks like meh job is gonna cause some conflicts :/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Too Cliquey
    would like to attend one but i think i'd be too freaked out walking into a pub alone, looking for someone who looks like they post on a forum. .

:D Exactly.. worse for a girl too.. I'd look sweet standing at a bar on my tod..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

funk-you wrote: »
    No point going to a huge sausage fest, we all know there's no wimmimz on the internet.

-Funk
    +1
    Boards.ie official sausage fest statistics

I've never been, but I could imagine a night filled with...
    :pac: "Oh hai, what's your boards.ie username?"
    :cool: "MickyMac22"
    :pac: "O rly?"
    :cool: "Yeah, lolz
    :pac: "..."
    :cool: "..."
    :pac: "K, bai"
    (repeat x100)

I've done the whole meet-strange-people-from-teh-interweb at Lans, and tbh, it's just weird... people you spend hundreds of hours talking to in IRC over about 5 years... meet them in person and find out how little you actually have to talk about... "Sooooo.... how about them lolcats?"
    I'm so over it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I only go to meets that take place in far off fields and everyone's armed to the teeth or couchsurfing one's where I meet backpackers far far from home. I keep meaning to go to a Galway one though.

I hate the introductions though, that's just a reminder of how stupid scumlord sounds as a name for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Pighead doesn't go because his "normal" boards alterego is in attendance.
    The body they share hasn't figured out how to be two people, in the same place as the same time. Yet.

If lizardfudge and monkeyfudge can manage to go to the same beers then I'm sure Pighead and ********* can too.
    would like to attend one but i think i'd be too freaked out walking into a pub alone, looking for someone who looks like they post on a forum. though monkeyfudge's idea of cream eggs or whatever seemed novel.

They were Kinder Eggs... creme eggs would be a terrible idea as they are seasonal.... also there wouldn't be any toys for me to play with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I do go so theres no point in me being involved with this poll.
    I wouldnt even mind going it alone but its in dublin. I dont have the kind of cash to get me there and drink. I have to wait till I'm a legend of the board or something and get a free drink or two. But we all know, that will never happen.

Rubbish Overheal, of course it will happen.
    Cool Username: Check
    Over 500 Posts: Check
    Campaign Organiser to bring back the roll eyes smiley: Check

You tick all the right boxes sunshine.

Pigheads quite tempted to organise a forum meet for people who don't like attending forum meets. Wonder would many come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Are these forum meets advertised heavily?

I've never even heard of them!

Pighead wrote: »
    Rubbish Overheal, of course it will happen.
    Cool Username: Check
    Over 500 Posts: Check
    Campaign Organiser to bring back the roll eyes smiley: Check

You tick all the right boxes sunshine.

Pigheads quite tempted to organise a forum meet for people who don't like attending forum meets. Wonder would many come?

:pac:

I dunno you couldnt call it a forum meet. It would have to be something like Super Secret Hideyourface Café Swapmeet. With Beer.

nevermind they realize the truth when they get there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What a spanner.

Watch it pighead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just as a matter of interest has there ever been a sligo beers AC

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

just as a matter of interest has there ever been a sligo beers AC

Not as far as I know. There was meant to be one at chrstmas but it kinda fell through at the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Too Cliquey
    Wheres the "Nobody else gives a **** if I go, so why should I" option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Too Cliquey
    Dont post often enough to have built up a comradeship with anyone! I usually just read the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dont post often enough to have built up a comradeship with anyone! I usually just read the posts.

tbh, the comradeship is sometimes because the people have met in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Too Cliquey
    DesF wrote: »
    tbh, the comradeship is sometimes because the people have met in real life.

Yea, with people I know IRL I just walk over to them\text\call rather than talk on boards with them. The meets do sound fun and all (love Dicey Rileys, June 20th = Birthday :)) but its mainly the not knowing anybody well enough.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just waiting for Hagar to organise the South of France beers and I'll be there. Unless there's one the weekend after next in Kilkenny by some chance, I'll be there then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Too many people to meet at the one time, shyness.
    LOL FTW TBH ROFL
    sher those people can't even talk proper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Admit it Piggie.
    The only reason you've never gone to one is because we would be meeting the real you and that just scares ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm waiting on the US beers.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Admit it Piggie.
    The only reason you've never gone to one is because we would be meeting the real you and that just scares ya.
    C'mon babes you of all people should now how confident Pighead is in real life. Most blokes wouldn't even dream of trying the deadly scorpion position in the bedroom. Doesn't phase Pighead though. Not one little bit.

The only thing that scares Pighead is how deep the love he has for you is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Partially because the whole boards meet up scene seems a bit cliquey, partially because I like keeping the internet and real life seperate, and partially because the idea of someone you've never met before potentially knowing more about you, your thoughts and opinions than some of your friends is slightly disturbing.

Will I ever show up at one? Probably.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

C'mon babes you of all people should now how confident Pighead is in real life. Most blokes wouldn't even dream of trying the deadly scorpion position in the bedroom. Doesn't phase Pighead though. Not one little bit.

The only thing that scares Pighead is how deep the love he has for you is.

Yeah,yeah.I reckon you're afraid to go because you actually do have the head of a pig.Dont let it worry you,we at meetups are very nonjudgemental..we could have a chorus of "Old McDonald Had A Farm" and you can join in when it gets to the bit about the pigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Too Cliquey
    Why i don't go? I'm terribly paranoid of internet people and i have this huge insecurity where if i go, i'll end up getting knocked out by half the boards.ie members there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I probably won't ever go to one coz
    (1) I'm terrible when it comes to meetin' new people and I make a rubbish first impression!.
    (2) On this vast website I am insignificant
    (3) I'm lazy.

Degsy wrote: »
    Yeah,yeah.I reckon you're afraid to go because you actually do have the head of a pig.Dont let it worry you,we at meetups are very nonjudgemental..we could have a chorus of "Old McDonald Had A Farm" and you can join in when it gets to the bit about the pigs.
    People don't speak to you at Forum Meet Ups. Ya wanna know why? IT'S BECAUSE YOU LOOK LIKE A BOUNCER AND EVERYBODY HATES BOUNCERS.

People don't speak to you at Forum Meet Ups. Ya wanna know why? IT'S BECAUSE YOU LOOK LIKE A BOUNCER AND EVERYBODY HATES BOUNCERS.

Oh they speak to me alright,sometimes they come home with me too.Girls would rather have a bloke who looks like a bouncer than somebody who looks like a pig doing a handstand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Oh they speak to me alright,sometimes they come home with me too.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

• Advertisement

Oh they speak to me alright,sometimes they come home with me too.Girls would rather have a bloke who looks like a bouncer than somebody who looks like a pig doing a handstand.
    Nice post Degsy, that's put everything into perspective. Enough bickering. Lets leave this sorry mess behind us and engage in some friendly small talk.

So then, still single Degsy, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I would spend the entire time judging them for not being as perfect as I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Too busy with real life
    bloke who looks like a bouncer ... somebody who looks like a pig doing a handstand.

:confused: Isn't that the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Under 18 :(

Well that hasn't stopped me before, but I seem to get IDed a lot more lately! I might go along to more next year though.

Nice post Degsy, that's put everything into perspective. Enough bickering. Lets leave this sorry mess behind us and engage in some friendly small talk.

So then, still single Degsy, yeah?

No actually.Did your Thai "girlfriend" ever come back after she went to get milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

nipplenuts wrote: »
    :confused: Isn't that the same thing?

Bouncers are generally people who are too thick to even become pigs......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Too Cliquey
    Tinytony wrote: »
    Bouncers are generally people who are too thick to even become pigs......

People that hold that view are generally undesirables that cannot get into places.
    ++generalisations

...I would love to see a pig doing a hand-stand...

The post directly below will have to satisfy me.

No actually.Did your Thai "girlfriend" ever come back after she went to get milk?
    There was an old man called Degsy,
    who had shite stains all over his legsy,
    He got them one day,
    whilst making love in the hay,
    to a horny old bull called Megsy.

Paulie The Pig
    He weareth a wig
    A wooden leg and surgical truss.
    He put the moves on a wench
    Who gagged at the stench
    And punched Pig Paul in the puss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Too busy whenever I'm in Ireland, and there's a boards beers on.

I won a Playstation Portable at the last one I was at, so I should go more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Too Cliquey
    Chronic shyness. I've suffered from it all my life. I'm fine once the ice is broken, but I seem to have major problems breaking the ice. I hate parties and other gatherings for this reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I might go to one when people know who I am.

kowloon wrote: »
    I might go to one when people know who I am.

Arent such tings generally how you get known

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Overheal wrote: »
    Arent such tings generally how you get known

Quiet you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd go to the Dublin ones only to get drunk and start shouting "post in your own goddamn regional forum, goddammit" :D

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I wonder if Degsy went through a bad break-up or something. Such spite and malice most of the time.

biko wrote: »
    I'd go to the Dublin ones only to get drunk and start shouting "post in your own goddamn forum, goddammit"

And there shall be one table for every forum. Anonymous posters must wear a scooby doo mask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Frankly, going to Dublin to drink with what amounts to a bunch of strangers and then having to get home again that evening strikes me as being a little too much hassle. I could drive down and not drink but f*ck that sh*t, or I could get rat arsed and rely on making the train/bus home (which I invariably miss).
    If I lived in or near Dublin I'd probably go, there are certainly some people I'd like to meet.
    Someone suggested a local Beers on the north east forum a while back, but it didn't attract a whole lot of interest (suggesting Dundalk as a possible venue can have that effect).

Something I do think should be done is some sort of boards get together at EP this year...you have people travelling from all over the country to that so you don't end up with just a bunch of Dubs in a pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Donegal Beers! Everyone invited!

Scratch that, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

... your all just not quite attractive enough to be graced with my overwhelmingly beautiful presence.

Nah, its more because I'm probably outside the usual boardsie meeting demographic as a 20yo male.

• Advertisement
Advertisement