Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP using NTL/UPC modem

Options
  • 15-05-2008 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

HI folks,

I just got in last night NTL broadband and i noticed it came with Scienfic Altanta VOIP modem. I know NTL are now doing VOIP but I didn't take up there offer.

I'm still currently with BT BB (will be cancelling shortly) and use a VOIP adapter to get cheap calls.
    Do you think I can use NTL modem/VOIP socket to plug in directly my analog phone? I'd have to be able to put in Blueface's SIP info somewhere into the modem. Do you think this will be possible?

If this works I could switch off one less box :)

thanks
    pan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No. You can't enter the Blueface settings. Even if you could it wouldn't work.

While UPC does use SIP based VOIP, it's a QOS managed service using a secure private IP (can't be voice spammed or IP connected, only rung via real number). You can't use it for any other supplier. It will work with ordinary phone or most DECT bases. It should be higher quality than Blueface as your Blueface SIP uses public internet (insecure) and can't have any QOS management.

UPC (NTL) also have their own voice gateway, so your call doesn't go on the internet. Digiweb Metro, Smart and Magnet also have their own versions of this scheme which is far better than 3rd Party VOIP.

If the supplied Modem is JUST a modem (no router functions), then you need an ethernet router/Firewall and connect your Blueface SIP and PC to that. A Basic Cable modem generally only allows one device to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Thanks watty,

I suspected that they might have the modem lock down....

• Registered Users Posts: 47 trveller72

watty wrote: »
    ... Digiweb Metro, Smart and Magnet also have their own versions of this scheme which is far better than 3rd Party VOIP.
    Magnet offers IS a VoIp service. They give you an ATA device and if you try hard enough you will be able to access the web interface and and change the settings:
    - the device is M-ATA-1 SmartLink by Patton Electronics
    - this is for Fibre to Home package
    - you will need a router

Advertisement