Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual Names

• 15-05-2008 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

In another thread DesF asked me what my name means, and I don't know. My name is "Caimin" by the way. I've never met another Caimin, although I know there are a few out there.

So, are you a Caimin too? Have you an unusual name that the new teacher always paused at while reading out the role in school? Do you just automatically spell your name everytime you say it on the phone? And finally, the next time someone asks what Caimin means, what should I say?

Comments

I have an annoying name, that nobody could say/spell until I was 9/10.
    Actually they still can't pronouce it.
    So I had a long list of unpleasant nicknames as a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Rhys used to make some of the teachers think.

If someone asks me what it means the standard response is "It's Welsh"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

tbh wrote: »
    In another thread DesF asked me what my name means, and I don't know. My name is "Caimin" by the way. I've never met another Caimin, although I know there are a few out there.

So, are you a Caimin too? Have you an unusual name that the new teacher always paused at while reading out the role in school? Do you just automatically spell your name everytime you say it on the phone? And finally, the next time someone asks what Caimin means, what should I say?
    Doesn't Caimin mean Hurley or something like that?

Anyway back in the 80's in Pigheads village there dwelt a family of native Indians who all had rather strange names. There was a chick called Crystal Waters, a young lad called Rugged Mountain and a mother called Dignity Valley. They used to tell Pighead that if he were native indian he would have been called Big Chief Wondrous Penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

tried that one pighead, Brother Curtain told me it was Camàn. Got me six of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

there was a girl a year ahead of me in primary school called Carrie Oakey!! as far as im aware she changed it a little later on

unfortunately, Clare was as far as they got - that's where the name is from. Although there is a type of crocodile called a caiman, and I used to say that I was named after that because I was born with two teeth. I wasn't, and I wasn't. Six of the best for lying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Why dont you go to them people in shopping centres the ones tat tell you what your name means and if that doesnt work just ask your parents or book of names in Easons could do the job

blank looks all round marti. Any time I get to a book, it either doesn't have my name, or it's something like this:

Cahir KA-here Guard. A High King of Ireland.
    Caimin KAY-min saint from Co Clare
    Cáirbre CAR-bra Rugged, or Charioteer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Then just make something up that sounds exotic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

There used to be a girl in our school called Amanda Rynn... she avoided wearing any fake tan for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

tbh wrote: »
    tried that one pighead, Brother Curtain told me it was Camàn. Got me six of the best.
    Bah, bloody brothers and their six of the best disciplining techniques. Lazy mans option. Instead of educating they hit people.

Somebody should have told that Brother Curtain to pull himself together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I know a girl called Kareen < Never seen it spelt this way before. Its indian, She is not indian,

I also went to school with a girl called February. God love her.

I think you should say, you were conceived on the caimin islands in a drug fuelled orgie on the beach..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

there are some really good free names databases out there.
    did a search on one ive used before and this is all that came up
    http://www.behindthename.com/php/search.php?nmd=n&terms=caimin&submit=Go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I've a pretty unusual first name though it never caused too much confusion. A lot of people tend to call me by a more common name that sounds similar to it.

You're name doesn't have to mean anything by the way. For years I thought mine had none, other than it was that of an Irish saint, until I came across an entry for it in the Collins name dictionary.

Here's a little biog I found on St. Caimin, case you're interested: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/people/saint_caimin.htm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

depending on your age and parents, could be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khayman

but i doubt it hehe ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Quality wrote: »

I also went to school with a girl called February. God love her.

Lol, I went to school with a girl called January!!

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I've a pretty unusual first name though it never caused too much confusion. A lot of people tend to call me by a more common name that sounds similar to it.

You're name doesn't have to mean anything by the way. For years I thought mine had none, other than it was that of an Irish saint, until I came across an entry for it in the Collins name dictionary.

Here's a little biog I found on St. Caimin, case you're interested: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/people/saint_caimin.htm.

cheers EH, I've seen that alright - as far as I can figure, my name doesn't actually mean anything - just a name. Although, it's pretty similar to Caoimhin, so probably dervies from that..

@nerin - that's a cool bio :)

Advertisement