Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two unusual sightings (for me)

• 15-05-2008 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

There are numerous rabbits in the fields beside where I work, so they are commonly seen and are quite used to humans. Last year when passing in my car I definitely saw a black rabbit. I stopped and checked. He didn't move and I got a long look at him. He was definitely a wild rabbit (not one of those big floppy earred pets) and was jet black. Is this unusual ?

Only last week in the same workplace where we have a long artificial pool with a fountain in the middle I saw a woodpigeon swimming. His feathers were all fluffed up (in the manner of swans) and he was most definitely swimming. I stopped to look and he took off. I checked the water depth in case it was shallow enough to walk on but it was at least a foot to eighteen inches deep. Is this unusual ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

dunno about the wood pidgeon, but google melanism for an explanation of the rabbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

While neither is rare they are uncommon. The black rabbit is usually seen in young rabbits as the colouring seems to be a disadvantage when it comes to surviving predators.
    The Woodpigeon was bathing as this is nesting/brooding time and the plumage gats in a bad condition and washing helps expel parasites. Bathing in water 18 inches deep is not usual but does happen form time to time. They sometimes get it hard to take off from the water but after a bit of panic they usually succeed.

Advertisement