Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to speak to about lowering speed limit on roads?

Options
  • 15-05-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering does anyone know who to speak to about getting the speed limit lowered on a road beside my house. The road I'm talking about is the one going past Tesco towards Blacklion. It also needs speed bumps.

Since work has started on the harbour the road has gotten much, much busier. Trucks with stuff like hardcore bound for the harbour are really flying along. Its not just those though all the usual traffic, Tesco trucks and buses speed along there too. Its really dangerous for people crossing over to/from Applewood.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Hi, just wondering does anyone know who to speak to about getting the speed limit lowered on a road beside my house. The road I'm talking about is the one going past Tesco towards Blacklion. It also needs speed bumps.

Since work has started on the harbour the road has gotten much, much busier. Trucks with stuff like hardcore bound for the harbour are really flying along. Its not just those though all the usual traffic, Tesco trucks and buses speed along there too. Its really dangerous for people crossing over to/from Applewood.

Thanks

Wicklow Country Council, I'd imagine! http://www.wicklow.ie/roads/roads.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Yes I did think of that! The first time I rang I didn't have any luck at all in finding out who deals with this. If you have ever dealt with the co council office you may understand.
    Anyway, I rang them back there and was put through to the engineer's office in Greystones. No plans for speed ramps or anything on that road but the speed limit is 30! It is up to the police to monitor the speed on it - council/engineers aren't interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

If the council/engineers aren't interested well I'm sure the Councillors will be...we vote them in...get onto the Town Council screaming.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Yes I did think of that! The first time I rang I didn't have any luck at all in finding out who deals with this. If you have ever dealt with the co council office you may understand.
    Anyway, I rang them back there and was put through to the engineer's office in Greystones. No plans for speed ramps or anything on that road but the speed limit is 30! It is up to the police to monitor the speed on it - council/engineers aren't interested.

30..?? thats only 20 mph, sure id walk faster than that....

Yeah now I think about that she must have meant mph rather than km. She also said that speed ramps are never put on roads like that but actually there are speed ramps further up the same road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

Yeah now I think about that she must have meant mph rather than km. She also said that speed ramps are never put on roads like that but actually there are speed ramps further up the same road.

They do fly on that road alright, especially when they are coming back empty. The speed ramps near the cinema/fire brigade were put down specifically to stop those trucks speeding - why is it OK to put them there and not on other busy roads (that have the same speed limit).
    Some will debate whether speed ramps really stop people speeding - but if they are putting them elsewhere then why not here.
    So it's now official - Welsh Wizard can walk to town quicker than a DART. Sure between bikes and walking we don't need public transport now at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

How come you're not a renowned marathon contender then?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

How come you're not a renowned marathon contender then?
    :D

I find walking to stupid-quinn far enough... let alone any sort of marathon or walking to town...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

It is up to the police to monitor the speed on it - council/engineers aren't interested.

Yes, this is the official attitude in a nutshell - I got a similar response from the Council in relatuion to a different stretch of 50kph road.

On a more positve note, if you could show that speeding is causing excessive noise in a residential area, then I understand that new european anti noise regulations are due to be implemented in Ireland soon, under which I believe (this is open to correction though) councils will have a positive obligation to take traffic calming measures such as speed ramps where speeding causes a noise problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

i cant ****ing stand speed bumps

i got a question of my own

why do they vary in size?
    and whatever happened to the speed bumps in greystones along side tescos?

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    On a more positve note, if you could show that speeding is causing excessive noise in a residential area, then I understand that new european anti noise regulations are due to be implemented in Ireland soon, under which I believe (this is open to correction though) councils will have a positive obligation to take traffic calming measures such as speed ramps where speeding causes a noise problem.

Yes thats how I started noticing it in the first place. During the day is bad enough but trucks at night are beyond ridiculous. A few weeks ago I heard a really loud bang followed by some yelping. I rang out and there was a poor dog there in horrific pain. The fcuker who hit him kept driving.

I can but can't believe the attitude of the council. A woman was already killed a short way up the road. What do they want to happen? Its disgusting. The police too hiding on the Southern cross all the time or even going through Kilmac too - those roads are grand, its the smaller ones that people are walking around on that are so dangerous.

I'll look into the noise pollution part of it - just outside my back garden there is a pothole or something that everyone who speeds bangs through. Not the most soothing noise when trucks keep hitting it and the load they are carrying bangs around.

I recently got planning permission and had to pay nearly 20K to the council - 13k of that was towards the upkeep of the roads in my area. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

That section of road is a bit of an accident waiting to happen, perhaps traffic lights (i never thought i would say this!) might actually serve a purpose for the people leaving Tesco and Gratten Pk etc.

Try the road safety authority, they oversee a lot of things you might think would be the councils job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Hey littlefriend,

We must be practically neighbours. I'm just up past the vets heading towards Roches and getting in and out of the driveway is a total nightmare. I've even had people pass me out at speed when i'm indicating to turn into my drive :confused: Total lunacy.

My own dog was killed on that stretch of road only 2 weeks ago. Fair enough he shouldn't have been out there but he slipped the collar and ran out. I can't help thinking if the guy was driving a little slower he might have had a chance. It's only a matter of time before it's anothar person getting hit.

Unfortunatley it's policy not to put ramps on national routes and that is considered a national route. It doesn't make sense though as they put one up the top of the hill at Crowe Abbey which is the same road.

I'm just applying for planning permission at the moment and have no doubt i'll get stuck with the same bill. It's just a rip off.

Anyway, if I can help out in any way count me in because with 2 kids it's always a major concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

i cant ****ing stand speed bumps

i got a question of my own

why do they vary in size?
    and whatever happened to the speed bumps in greystones along side tescos?

I agree with you. I hate ramps too. But having just lost a dog, and having seen my neighbour lose 2 dogs I really want something done before it's a child getting hit.

A kid was killed outside our gate about 20 years ago and that was when the roads were quiet, and anothar woman was killed a couple of years back opposite Tesco's.

Something really needs to be done.

Advertisement