Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Littering; what can be done?

Options
  • 15-05-2008 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

The Dodder, Blessington, Greystones, Dalkey, Dun Laoighre. Litter and rubbish that's obviously left behind by people fishing. Fishing line,rig wrappers,tin cans. The state of Colliemore yesterday was a disgrace,Plastic bags and wrappers everywhere. I nearly flipped the lid at one young fellah,who after pouring a half a packet of popcorn into the water beside the seals threw the packet in after it. I didnt waste my breath because I had already had an arguement with him and his ould lad because they robbed my scissors, which I saw! What can be done about this lads? Now in Bulloch and Colliemore there is no bin which doesnt help. The inside of the east pier in DL has bins and it quite clean, The west pier doesn't. I did a clean up with the Dodder Anglers last year and aprt from the usual beer cans,shopping bags etc. I couldnt believe the amount of fishing paraphanelia I found myself: Broken rods,rig packets,Miles of line, old bait boxes,sweetcorn tins etc. I just dont understand how people can discard their stuff like this. There's supposed to be a bailif on the dodder, Ive seen the guy in Blessington a good few times and Blessington's not bad. Its the sort of carry on which will lead to conflict between anglers and local councils. The greater Dun Laoighre/Killiney ban which does exist but not enforced will be.
    Certainly bins in certain areas would help-nobody want to carry around stinking bait bags but I do! I dont leave a thing. What about a litter warden, Is there a litter warden? Or even just someone to go around and have a ittle chat with people about the importance of cleaning up after themselves. And its not just the young fellahs either.
    Any ideas? Could I write a letter tot he council requesting public bins or even signage to remind people to clean up and their are fines etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i started a thread about littering before as i beleive we have one of the most beutiful country's in the world, its just a pity its full of dirty bastards!

i would write a letter to the council, but in fairness what do they care.

2 people who could help - joe duffy or gerry ryan (i mean that sincerely, at least when people call them it highlights a problem)

One other option would be your TD - we all forget that its not favours not we want from them, its in fact thier job to do things for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I dont think bins will do much some of the eejits cant figure out what they are for. I find with most people somthing like " I think you dropped something" loudly usually is enough to embarress them. :D.
    Is there a baliff on the Dodder never saw him once, seen plenty of anglers with out permits (both Irish and foreign) taking more than the bag limit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Just about all committed anglers have a black bag in the rucksac or whatever.
    it's not for our own rubbish which we take away anyway ... it's for the stuff other slob anglers have left in a fishing spot we value.

We know after a while that if we don't clean up our own favourite spot, noone will, and we lose it sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Bins won't help, people will use them to dump their house waste in, rather than pay bin charges at home, and unless the bins are emptied daily, they'll actually end up making the situation worse.

People need to stop being such lazy a$$ tramps and bring their friggin litter home with them.

Noel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I had to severly bite my lip in Balscadden in september,a bunch of utter scumbags were drinking cans and bottles and throwing them into the water along with plastic bags.The stuff all washes up on a beach around the corner and its a disgusting mess.Maybe a few bins and signs around might ease the problem but scumbags will always be scumbags.

• Advertisement
Advertisement