Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I killed it!

Options
  • 15-05-2008 11:44am

The other day I was running the strimmer around cutting long grass & weeds that the lawnmower couldn't reach.
    Unfortunately got too close to a couple of harwthorn bushes & small beech trees and stripped some of the bark off all round, I am of the understanding that a tree "ringed" this way will die as the sap can't pass an open cut.

I have put some waterproof tape around them, what do you think my chances are of saving them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Possibly not. I'd take the tape off and let nature heal or rid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

remove the tape, place an old tyre around the bottom, fill around it with earth, plant some peas or beans, and it will never happen again

Just to update this thread, I forgot to take the tape off untill a couple of weeks ago.
    It was still alive and I took off the tape, still going strong along with a couple of hawthorns that got "strimmed".

I just put grass clippings down to stop the weeds now.

orbiturary.

The beech died :(

but the harthorn started sooting up from below the strim line.

The strimmer had been "retired" for the time being!

Advertisement