Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt and kits - Cost

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

if you do the timing belt on its own the labour would be the bigest part but its better do the kit as you are replacing all the belts and the water pump

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You tend to get what you pay for (€43 + postage).
    I'd be reluctant to buy these items online as I'd prefer to be able to return to the outlet were something to go.
    Refunds

We will issue a full refund for any returned products when your return meets the above requirements. The cost of shipping will be credited only in those instances where the return is a result of our error.
    Guarantee

Foreign CarParts Online and Fcpgroton guarantees the workmanship of the products sold. If you have received a defective product, please review the manufacturer information included with your new product. If you wish to return it, please visit our returns form for more information.
    If the belt snaps after 1k miles, who pays for the new engine? Getting your €43+postage won't be a consolation!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think a genuine VW kit+ pump would be 250+ euro so you are saving a lot there. But as kbannon says you will have a headache if you buy that off ebay and something fails and wrecks your engine. The parts should be guaranteed but it wouldn't be simple to get the cost of a new engine out of the various parties involved.

Now what you could do is bring to a decent indy garage, instruct them to use good quality but non genuine parts, let them order the parts, agree with the garage what will happen if there is an engine wrecking problem with the belt or tensioners. That way if something goes bang, the onus is on the garage to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I think a genuine VW kit+ pump would be 250+ euro so you are saving a lot there. But as kbannon says you will have a headache if you buy that off ebay and something fails and wrecks your engine. The parts should be guaranteed but it wouldn't be simple to get the cost of a new engine out of the various parties involved.

Now what you could do is bring to a decent indy garage, instruct them to use good quality but non genuine parts, let them order the parts, agree with the garage what will happen if there is an engine wrecking problem with the belt or tensioners. That way if something goes bang, the onus is on the garage to deal with it.

If I got quality parts in a motor factors then should I expect my independent mechanic to guarantee it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If I got quality parts in a motor factors then should I expect my independent mechanic to guarantee it?
    No. It would not be reasonable to expect the mechanic to guarantee any parts they didn't source, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Anan1 wrote: »
    No. It would not be reasonable to expect the mechanic to guarantee any parts they didn't source, IMO.

Even if they were a reputable brand that he uses himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I work for a wholesale carparts compnay and supply Motor factors with belts etc. We have had instances where belts are have broke and damaged engines. The manufacture has stood over the cliam when it was proven that the belt / pully's were at fault and have replaced engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Even if they were a reputable brand that he uses himself?
    I wouldn't think so. For all the mechanic knows, the parts could be knock-offs/seconds, etc etc. If the mechanic got the parts then it would be up to the mechanic to chase down the supplier in the event of a catastrophe. If you get the parts, I think you're taking over that responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Alot of the parts are made by third parties for the manufacturers anyway, e.g. bosch make quite a few components for VAG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

My own mechanic is quite happy to do the work with parts I've sourced. The difference is that we've agreed where I'll buy them from. I go in and buy the parts at trade prices (I spend a lot maintaining a good few cars) then call him to have him do the job for me. If anything goes wrong with the parts, he'll go the motor factors himself and get it sorted. It's the best of both worlds for me.

If this is just a one off job, why not just go the motor factors and ask for a price for the parts, then ask them to recommend a local mechanic they deal with who could do the work and stand over it?

Gil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

FCP Groton are fine to deal with. Ive bought lots of kit from them for VW without issues. They stock good stuff, generally from the orignal manufactuer's of the parts rather that the "rebranded" same product that you may pay 40% more for.

Only thing about that kit is that it is missing the Hydraulic Tensioner. It is essential that you replace this too.

Belt snapping, while possible is very, very, very unlikely. Just be prepared to be hit for duty+VAT when it hits the irish shores.

edit: hmm I think this model doesnt have a hydraulic tensioner, just the "wind-back" type. Should be good to go then.

Advertisement