Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inefficiency of Eircom service provision

Options
  • 15-05-2008 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

We've just moved house and, not for the first time, found that the single most stressful part is dealing with Eircom. I work from home so voice + broadband is absolutely essential. Seeing as we were just moving around the corner on this occasion, and to a house served by the same exchange, we thought it would be plain sailing...
    • Over two weeks ago (on getting the key to our new address), we requested the migration of services. We were told that because the exchange was the same our phone number would be unchanged, as would our account number.
    • The number was moved across yesterday. The engineer they sent out to wire up the RJ-11 sockets was very competent, efficient, and business-like - top marks there. He advised us to wait until today and then phone 1901 to get the broadband activated on the line. He had it all ready to go back at the exchange.
    • 1901 told us that our account number was innactive. Huh? It turns out that just this morning they have introduced a new system which means that you get a new account number when you move address - even if the phone number is the same.
    • To order broadband in such a way as to avoid charges we have to wait up to two weeks to receive our new account number in the post, then place the order online (potential chicken/egg problem there?), then wait anything up to a month for this order to be actioned.
    • To order broadband immediately via 1901 we have to pay €30, even if the only reason for having to do that is because they have changed our account number despite telling us they would not.
    • The allocation of a new account number creates the additional hassle of having to change details with bank, etc.
    Here's what I don't understand:
    • Why is it not possible to order broadband at the same time as ordering the phone line? "Hello, we're moving house and we would like to transfer all our services from A to B." How hard can that be? The multi-step process currently followed means that when you add all potential delays up it could take up to 2 months from moving into your house before you get broadband.
    • Why do they allocate a new account number for the same customer at the same phone number? This actually sounds like a bit of a scam when you think about it...in the dead period that you're waiting for the account number to arrive in the post you can't switch to a call bundle, therefore you're paying full whack for everything. Unless you want to pay €30.
    • If they really must allocate a new account number, and have to communicate this to the customer physically for security reasons, why not get the engineer to provide it in person?
    On the upside, it gave me great pleasure to tell the 1901 operator "I'll take that free Netopia router even though I don't need it because it's bound to be worth at least €30!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

cantalach wrote:
    we thought it would be plain sailing...
    Mistake No.1.:)
    cantalach wrote:
    1901 told us that our account number was innactive. Huh? It turns out that just this morning they have introduced a new system which means that you get a new account number when you move address - even if the phone number is the same.
    Thats always been the way. I moved house 3 times in the last 9 years, keeping the same number, and got a new account number each time. Don't know why you were told different.
    cantalach wrote:
    Why is it not possible to order broadband at the same time as ordering the phone line?
    You can. Well you can for new installations, not sure about moving house.
    cantalach wrote:
    If they really must allocate a new account number, and have to communicate this to the customer physically for security reasons, why not get the engineer to provide it in person?
    Ring again to get your account number. Tell them you need it to set up the DD in the bank. If they don't give it ask to speak to a manager. Make sure to ring from the number that the account is attached to (not a mobile).

Your suggestions are all common sense but you have to remember it Eircom you're dealing with.
    Last edited by cantalach : Today at 12:02. Reason: Two typos spotted by my wife!
    Snigger:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Thats always been the way. I moved house 3 times in the last 9 years, keeping the same number, and got a new account number each time. Don't know why you were told different.

Hmm...the person with whom I was speaking said that it was a new system that had just come in today.

(If anyone from Eircom happens to be reading, I can supply the person's name and 'rank' if you're interested.)
    You can. Well you can for new installations, not sure about moving house.

The thing is though, it was a new installation (10-11 months ago) at the place we just left and we were given the same story there, i.e. we had to order the line first and only when it was activated could we phone 1901 and order the broadband. Perhaps it has changed since but that was definitely the way back then. Or perhaps more correctly, that's what we were told. The unfortunate thing with Eircom is that luck plays a big part in terms of who you end up speaking with at 1901.

Thanks for your suggestion re the account number!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Regarding ordering Broadband at the same time as the line - eircom wont know whether the phone line is capable of broadband until it is installed and tested, even with brand new lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

Regarding ordering Broadband at the same time as the line - eircom wont know whether the phone line is capable of broadband until it is installed and tested, even with brand new lines.

I realise that, but that surely doesn't prevent an order from being taken? If the line turns out to be unsuitable when it's connected up, fine, the broadband doesn't get enabled. If it is suitable, great, the service is enabled there and then without further to-ing and fro-ing.

The way it is at the moment is analogous to a restaurant where they are happy to take an order for your starter but say that you must wait until that comes out before ordering a main course!

(Continuing the analogy, they then tell you that you can't have the Lobster because your table is too far from the kitchen but you can have the sardines on toast.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

True but you can order both at the same time from their website. I has the added advantage that the engineer knows that the line is for BB and won't be put on a splitter (if possible).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

True but you can order both at the same time from their website. I has the added advantage that the engineer knows that the line is for BB and won't be put on a splitter (if possible).

Nope, I tried this myself. They wont take an order for both on a new line. They insist on the line being up and running before allowing broadband to be ordered.

Advertisement