Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen Keys

Options
  • 15-05-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Was unfortunately broken into day before yesterday and house was fleeced of most of my prized AV posessions :mad:
    They also however took the spare key off my car!
    Have been onto the insurance company to ask if i'm covered if they steal the car with the keys they took, and they are getting back to me (apparently!!) ..still waiting!
    Have had to hide the car last two nights at a friends house in case they came back for it.
    Have been to the garage this morning and had the one key I do have re-coded as a stop gap. So they would be able to open the doors but not start the car in theory! Getting locks changed is going to be very expensive :mad:
    Any one any experience of anything similar?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Insured or not your going to have to get new locks fitted so why the wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

Purely the cost of getting it done at the moment and what the insurance company are offering minus the excess would leave it at over a grand to change the locks.. won't have that for a few weeks unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

Nothing really to add about the keys etc but if you are worried about it being taken, how about one of those clamps you can buy in argos and clamp the car when parked up just incase?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Maybe an ambitious garda (if they exist) will set up a sting operation. Leave the car there and see if they come back. You might get some of your stuff back too.

Doubt it would happen though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do home insurance policies shell out for the likes of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

Yeah the home insurance will cover 750 euro with a 250 excess so barely covers a third of the cost of getting the locks changed unfortunately!

Was thinking of something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Firstly, What sort of car is it????

If its a BMW the missing keys can be taken off the immobiliser, so the key will still open the car but not start it.

If its not a BMW, you may still be able to do something like this, ie change the immobiliser chips in each key you have and reprogram the immobiliser.

industria wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Was unfortunately broken into day before yesterday and house was fleeced of most of my prized AV posessions :mad:
    They also however took the spare key off my car!
    Have been onto the insurance company to ask if i'm covered if they steal the car with the keys they took, and they are getting back to me (apparently!!) ..still waiting!
    Have had to hide the car last two nights at a friends house in case they came back for it.
    Have been to the garage this morning and had the one key I do have re-coded as a stop gap. So they would be able to open the doors but not start the car in theory! Getting locks changed is going to be very expensive :mad:
    Any one any experience of anything similar?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yep, if you have the key recoded to the immobiliser that'll be the only key that starts it. They can get into it, they can't take it.

Advertisement