Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone every swayed by this forum? Lisbon

Options
  • 15-05-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

As you may tell from my posts I am pro-Lisbon, although I do my best to argue reasonably.I see a post on the other side and of course I think that is wrong, and want to reply. To be fair I'm sure those on the no side free the same in reverse.

It just strikes me that most of the people posting are very much yes or no. Even those people who say they are un-decided appear to strongly favour one side over the other. I wonder how many people are reading who might actually be swayed? Maybe they are reading but not commenting?

It's fun and all with our critical and dogmatic rhetoric, and I'll probably keep going, but I wonder how useful is it? I guess the big problem is that those people who should be here reading and debating are probably not. Is this an overly pessimistic view?

Ix.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

i'd be VERY surprised if anyones swayed by a discussion on the net. i reckon everyones pretty much made up their mind on this thing already, they just dont want to admit it in a poll.

its fun to thrash out the issues but thats about all thats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Actually, I've still got one foot on the fence at the moment, but am siding towards the Yes side of things. I decided to wait till the actual vote until I decide since there's so much info out there that I want to make sure I make the choice I think is best.

It's not so much as I'll be swayed by the posts here, but they are good for explaining some of the finer points of the article as well as clearing away the lies from the facts, on both sides.

So in summary, keep arguing, it's helping me out! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

i believe people who are swaying twoards a yes vote could be swayed by here or by a random drunk fool or anyone

as these people - except an exceptionaly marvellous few - clearly have not read all the text including ammendments and are thinking of voting yes because ff and fg say so and sf and the ''communists'' are voting yes

Resorting to insults now?

that is not an insult

pick out the insulting word(s), please

• Advertisement

i believe people who are swaying twoards a yes vote could be swayed by here or by a random drunk fool or anyone

There you go, or am I mistaking? Is that not a disparaging comment against anyone?

yes

a random drunk fool on the street is unlikely to have read the treaty
    like some politicians who are telling people to vote yes

still dont get my point?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

humanji wrote: »
    Actually, I've still got one foot on the fence at the moment, but am siding towards the Yes side of things. I decided to wait till the actual vote until I decide since there's so much info out there that I want to make sure I make the choice I think is best.

It's not so much as I'll be swayed by the posts here, but they are good for explaining some of the finer points of the article as well as clearing away the lies from the facts, on both sides.
    I'd probably fall into the same category myself. Some of the posts on here have been extremely informative - kudos to all those involved. But as humanji says, there is a wealth of information out there - I have found the information from the Referendum Commission particularly useful. The more I read, the more I find it difficult to understand why so many people are so afraid of what is essentially a bit of housekeeping within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I think people like conchubhar1 help quite a lot of people make up their minds.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

i think people shouldnt use sarcasm or should make a decent point in their statements

cordially
    yours sincerely
    master arse-face
    himself truly
    european overlord
    ''vote (yes) or die bitch'
    etc etc
    mise le meas
    conchubhar
    conor
    yes, it is my name
    signing off
    pretentious tit himself
    srl srl srl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

i think people shouldnt use sarcasm or should make a decent point in their statements

cordially
    yours sincerely
    master arse-face
    himself truly
    european overlord
    etc etc
    mise le meas
    conchubhar
    conor
    yes, it is my name
    signing off
    pretentious tit himself
    srl srl srl

Well, I'd like to thank you for your contribution.

hopefully,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

cordially
    yours sincerely
    master arse-face
    himself truly
    european overlord
    etc etc
    mise le meas
    conchubhar
    conor
    yes, it is my name
    signing off
    pretentious tit himself
    srl srl srl

I think you should shut up and stop insulting the intelligence of people voting either way. Ironic that you show your true level of reasoning to be quite low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Yeah i;ve made a decision based on this forum. I don't want to say the word swayed as no-one pushed me either way, I simply got my questions answered.

I came to the forum knowing literally next to nothing about the issue so i'd pretty much say this and the referendum commision site has done it for me :D

That's what's great about forums like this. I new feck all about it too and have learned quite a lot. As I was saying above, the extreme amount of disinformation is staggering and having people who understand the treaty clearing up both sides of the argument is invaluable.

That's why I don't get people who say they claim there's no information out there on the treaty. There's plenty, you just have to make an effort.

Advertisement