Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio - Over footpath or flush ?

Options
  • 15-05-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

I am currently planning to put in a patio in a small back garden ( 25ft x 25ft), The first question is - is it better to (a) build the patio over the existing footpath and extend out or (b) to build it to the same level as the footpath leaving the path visible (possible put a lateral drain between the path and patio). I am not sure if i was to lay the patio over the concrete path how i would change the existing drainage outlet (would have to raise it), and also how i would taper off the patio at the end of the path so it doesnt leave a step. (just cut the patio blocks / pavers to taper? )

Any ideas or previous experiences would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

have a look at www.pavingexpert.com

personally i'd slab over the existing pathways, provided you still have
    a minimum of 150mm to your DPC and making sure the patio slopes
    away from the house

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

how do i know where the DPC ends ?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

...have been a stupid question..! Oh well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Damp proof course (DPC) in my house at least is at floor level.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

measure the from floor internal to path external you should have a mim of 150mm. If you have the slab laid and you still have 150mm you should be all right. but dont quote me on it (fri night few beers and all that)

• Advertisement
Advertisement