Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Broken key fob

Options
  • 15-05-2008 12:05pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭

The clip on my Remote central locking broke a while back. Now i cant put it on a key ring so i have to use the Key itself to open doors.
    I have nothing left to glue back together so ive no idea what to do. Can you get replacement casings for fobs? I dont want to have to get a whole new one and be charged a fortune.
    Its for a 00 Honda Civic.

FYI, the Key and fob are seperate.

What to do what to do? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ebay?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thats awful strange. I remember looking there a few months ago and nothing! But there we are, 3 of em there this time.

Edit: Theres no place that just sells the casing is there? All i need is a replacement case, not the electronics inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

I had a customer today with the same problem ('99 Civic).
    I had to order a new fob for him,as Honda does only complete fobs.
    The price is 113 Euros + vat...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Open up the fob and see if there is an area near the edges where you can drill a hole through it without damaging any electronics. It's possible on some remotes - not sure about Honda though. If you can drill a hole just loop a small cable tie through the hole so you can reattach it to your key ring.

I thought of doing that, but it'll look s***e. I wouldnt mind sheding a few Euros for a propper fob. Maybe the ones on Ebay arnt such a bad deal, considering the cost from Honda!

• Advertisement

Could you post a picture (or a link maybe) of your fob?
    I might have a faulty one lying around in the workshop...

gibbon75 wrote: »

21011614a7754392095l.jpg

Thats me fob in question there.
    It should look like this:
    ce_1_b.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Cut a piece of paper clip (the wire ones) long enough to bridge the gap in the plastic. using a long nose pliers heat it over a candle. then press it into the plastic bits sticking out. with a bit of maneouvering the plastic will flow around it. and grab the piece of clip. file off rough edges paint. cheap cheerful and should work.

If you have a soldering Iron this works even better as you can work the plastic better.

stratos wrote: »
    cheap cheerful and should work.

Ive thought about going down that route but always though, what if it broke off, and then i lose my fob. Id have to get a full replacement and it reprogramed and as seen before, €113 + Vat

No joy so Gibbon75??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I heard of a funny story in the UK where a dog chewed a chipped key fob from a set of keys and swallowed it. The AA was called out and to help and ended up having to place the dog near the ignition switch to start the car. She had to take the dog with her every time she wanted to start the car until she ordered a replacement key fob. Perhaps if you have a dog you could do the same. :D

I heard of a funny story in the UK where a dog chewed a chipped key fob from a set of keys and swallowed it. The AA was called out and to help and ended up having to place the dog near the ignition switch to start the car. She had to take the dog with her every time she wanted to start the car until she ordered a replacement key fob. Perhaps if you have a dog you could do the same. :D
    Or i could use my key! ;)

Black Knight:

No joy unfortunatly.All we have is the newer type fob with two buttons.

In the meantime the fob has landed that I ordered for an elderly man,who had the same problem just like yourself.
    I rang him that his fob is here (he knew about the price),he asked me again for the costs.When I told him it was 113+VAT,a big pause in the phone,then he said he had to lay it for a while...
    This means I won't see him anymore.Just wanted to offer him free coding (as it takes 5 minutes).

Rant off :D

Black Knight:
    In the meantime the fob has landed that I ordered for an elderly man,who had the same problem just like yourself.
    I rang him that his fob is here (he knew about the price),he asked me again for the costs.When I told him it was 113+VAT,a big pause in the phone,then he said he had to lay it for a while...
    This means I won't see him anymore.Just wanted to offer him free coding (as it takes 5 minutes).

Rant off :D

No point in having that lying about the place, think its best you just give it to me! :D

The best I could do is cost price.
    But I have to wait 2 weeks in case he would change his mind.

Hey all, Ended up just buying a used one off ebay. Got a programming guide online too and programmed the fob. Works like a charm now.

Took only 2 days between buying and recieving the fob, and all at the cost of only €35, so all in all, thats not too bad compared to buying off honda!

Advertisement