Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic water tank overflow

Options
  • 15-05-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with the attic water tank. The level has risen to the level of the spout and it is leaking down into the water tank below it and flowing out onto the drainpipe at the roof. It must be something to do with the ballcock, as it isnt allowing the water to be released the way it should be. What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

If the water stops flowing when the ballcock is fully raised then you need to screw the ball in a bit more or bend the arm down a wee bit (assuming it's brass),
    If the water is still flowing with the ballcock fully raised then you may need to turn off the water supply to the tank and disassemble/clean the seals.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

eddie73 wrote: »
    I have a problem with the attic water tank. The level has risen to the level of the spout and it is leaking down into the water tank below it and flowing out onto the drainpipe at the roof. It must be something to do with the ballcock, as it isnt allowing the water to be released the way it should be. What can I do?

First, I'd unscrew the float ball and shake it to see if it's half filled with water. If it has, then that's probably your problem (half filled float means it sits lower in the water and the water can rise up to the overflow). You'll pick up a replacement in any hardware shop for half nothinig.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 budcans47

Hi its most likely you need a new ballcock , If you cant fit a new one your self while you are waiting for someone to fit one turn on a cold tap in the bathroom and let it run slowly and you will find the over flow will stop, its only a temporary solution,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭donaghs

Something similar has happened to me recently, and there was some damage to items in the house. Has anyone ever put in a house insurance claim for this sort of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    Same problem recently, €10 fitted new ballcock and all is well again... 10 minute job.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement