Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road tyres on mountain bike

Options
  • 15-05-2008 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, i've been commuting in and out of college for a few years on a Giant rock SE, nothing special but never let me down and i'm pretty happy with it. I have the original knobbly-off road tyres that came with it and one needs replacing now, seems to have become warped,vibrating at speed and cracking around the bead. Tyre size is 26x1.95
    So now that i'm going to replace the tyres is it worth changing to a road/slick tyre? do i have to change the wheels?

Any opinions would be appreciated
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you are commuting, yes, definately change, it will be a phenomenal difference for very little money. You will not need to change the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yes, my rear slicks exploded this morning in a fountain of tube slime. Reasonably spectacular. Had to turn around and stroll back home with the bike.

Anyway, just been looking at new slicks. I might go from 1.5" to 1", why mess around ?

These look goodo
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18797

but a bit expensive. I might get cheapo 1" ones, pump em up as high pressure as possible with slime tubes. Works out cheaper, dunno if as good.
    Cheapos
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12607
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26896

Actually.. that might not work. CRC don't seem to have any slime filled tubes that do 1.0. Might just go for the fancy Continental Grand Prix MTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Can anyone recommend a set of slicks for 26x2 wheels? would 1.95 tyres be ok? roughly how skinny can i go tyre wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think slicks only really start around 1.6 and really it would be no harm to go a bit thinner; I would suggest 1.3" = 33mm which would be enormous by road bike standards but would give you a much better ride than you have now. I wouldn't be scared of going to 1" either although might wonder on the wheel rim width at that point.

I don't think there would be an issue going to 1.3 on your current wheels but maybe a MTB person could confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

blorg wrote: »
    I don't think there would be an issue going to 1.3 on your current wheels but maybe a MTB person could confirm this.

I'm running 1.25 tyres on regular MTB rims - Mavic 519's. No problems whatsoever.

• Advertisement

nice one, cheers for the info

I'm looking at these schwalbe ones, are the options at the bottom just what colour they are?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300003751&N=Schwalbe%20City%20Jet%20Tyre%20and%20Tube%20Set

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

simonw wrote: »
    are the options at the bottom just what colour they are?

yep. colour and valve choice.

is car type just the standard bike valve, and presta the really skinny one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

is car type just the standard bike valve, and presta the really skinny one?

yep.

• Advertisement

nice one, tom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Insanity Phil

I'm looking at these schwalbe ones, are the options at the bottom just what colour they are?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300003751&N=Schwalbe%20City%20Jet%20Tyre%20and%20Tube%20Set

I've had a set of them for a couple of years for commuting, they're fine + good value. They aren't the best tyres for cornering at speed, I think because they are quite hard rubber. On the plus side they have hardly worn...

I recently got a set of Continental Sport Contact tyres 26 x 1.6" semi-slicks which I think are better in that they seem faster and grippier on tarmac. Ace for winging round town roads like a nut!. Utter ****e if you shortcut across grass or gravel...

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I've just (as in this evening) changed out the 26x1.95knobblies on my MTB for a pair of cheap 26x1.25 "All Terranosarous" tyres which have a much smoother tread, but still keep some grip as all my local roads are covered in cow poo all the time.

I've only been able to take it for a quick spin, and the ride difference is pretty big. It seems much easier, but was much firmer - probably as they're 90psi rather than 60 psi.

I changed them as I'm doing a 50k charity cycle next weekend and wanted to make it as easy as possible as I'm a fat middle aged geezer (but not nearly as fat as I was 3 months ago !!!).

I like the difference and will keep the tyres on, but still feel I may buy a cheapish road bike this weekend to make it easier still.

I guess my recomednations would be to try it and see.

Advertisement