Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

for the teachers finishing up soon...

• 15-05-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

hey,

I was just wondering with the summer now here, what will you teachers be getting up to with all that time off! im curious and jealous :mad: :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Collecting our tax from a recliner with built in massage features, glass of brandy in one hand, cuban cigar in the other, robe draped off to the right just enough so that the balls dangle out and are warmed by the heat emanating from their marble fireplace...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

ooooohhhhh thats GOTTA hurt! i assume your alittle envious of the extended holidays they receive :D ah well can't say i blame them! im starting to think i should have chose a career path with more holidays than money and more stress!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

And a good few will be collecting extra cash by supervising and correcting exams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

jon1981 wrote: »
    hey,

I was just wondering with the summer now here, what will you teachers be getting up to with all that time off! im curious and jealous :mad: :pac:
    Double jobbing ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I finish about June 23rd - will go for 18 days to Europe, then a week in Ireland, then back in and out of the school getting ready for next year.
    I'll be in for almost all of August following the Leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Double job a bit & have a 2 week holiday booked each month too! Lots of D.I.Y. to be done and of course working on the abs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Similar to Spurious, I'll be in for another 5-6 weeks yet.
    I'm in Scotland and we finish end of June. After that it's 2 weeks of family visting, 3 weeks of doing summer school, then a week off to France before going back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I have booked 5 days in New York in June, a week in Scandinavia in August and I'm correcting LC papers in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

since im only starting out and subbing for the past year think il be going on the old "rock and roll" and trying to sort out a more steady job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'll be spending it looking for my first teaching job! Also working in an Irish summer college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Spending more time outside the Eu than in it! Have to come home to wash the clothes and I'm teaching years, we take our hols sooooooooo for granted tho love making people jealous of them! Remember its not 3 months we have off, its 4 and a half if u count the other breaks or to rub the salt in more, thats 18 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Sleep. Sleep. Sleep. 2 wk holiday somewhere hot. Sleep some more. Catch up with family / friends. Sleep. Oh and clean up my room in school. And post a loada sh!te on boards.ie :D

Really can't stand people who give out about them though. My answer to them is always, 'Have you never thought of teaching yourself?' And they ALWAYS say, 'God, no!' We deserve them.

Here here, I learnt that phrase too! Used to always defend the hols, now I just wind people up more who give out about them, they can all try to do it themselves and learn the hard way that its well deserved!
    Think I take them for granted though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

Good point. I always say it to my non-teaching friends who get dead jealous at this time of year. "If you think it's a great deal, I can advise you on doing a B.ED/H-Dip and becoming a Teacher. How do you fancy that?" The response is always a resounding "NO, Thanks! I couldn't take it!".

What will I be doing for the summer? Looking after my own three kids who'll be off school. (Teaching is easier!:eek:)

I'll send you a postcard!

My friend always says...'We all got the same C.A.O. form.' which I think is a tad cheeky but also quite funny!

My friend always says...'We all got the same C.A.O. form.' which I think is a tad cheeky but also quite funny!
    LOL! Two old college-friends of mine, who on approaching early middle age, began to wonder about switching careers from finance to teaching, so that they could spend more time with their kids in the summer, etc. etc. etc., changed their minds abruptly when I took them to visit our school during classtimes (so that they could see both the working conditions and the reality of modern classroom life), and particularly when I gave them a copy of the pay-scales and showed them where they would be starting! One commented that he couldn't switch because a) his wife would have to go back to work and b) his children would have to leave their Private School......such Hardship....;)

This summer, apart from looking after the kids, I'll try to get lots of cycling in, including the Wicklow 200, and try to indulge my other hobbies as well. A good bit of reading, hopefully, and birdwatching when possible (yes, birdwatching....some people actually enjoy it....)

• Advertisement

So many people I know who qualified don't teach because the reality is so very different. I love it but I can see how one would have a different idea of it than what it is really!

So many people I know who qualified don't teach because the reality is so very different. I love it but I can see how one would have a different idea of it than what it is really!
    Yeah, watching "Goodbye Mr. Chips" or "Dead Poets' Society" is a really bad way to formulate a desire to teach....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Yeah, watching "Goodbye Mr. Chips" or "Dead Poets' Society" is a really bad way to formulate a desire to teach....:D

Lol. The closest I've ever seen to reality is whe Arnie is thrown into a classroom in Kindgarten Cop. However, the reality doesn't last long - I mean as if one loud roar of "QUIEEEEETTTTT" or whatever he says would suffice :D

more like that crap programme Please Sir! Or indeed teachers is a good depiction of teacher attitude and pressure and staffrooms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Captain Scarlett is a tad disingenuous to write about "two old college-friends of mine, who on approaching early middle age, began to wonder about switching careers from finance to teaching.................when I gave them a copy of the pay-scales and showed them where they would be starting.....one commented that he couldn't switch because a) his wife would have to go back to work and b) his children would have to leave their Private School......such Hardship...."

Naturally, when someone is approaching middle-age and has a career elsewhere they will have lifestyle and salary expectations quite different from a 22/23 year old college graduate going teaching. It is not quite the same as comparing the careers in the abstract.

Let's be Devil's Advocate for a moment...........

If teachers are entitled to ask others who complain about teachers' holidays "why don't you do it then?", (and teachers are right - it's none of anyone else's business) then surely on reading some of the commentary here about teaching, people outside of teaching are entitled to pose the question if the classroom is such a forbidding atmosphere and the money so relatively unattractive, why on earth do teachers do it?

How could someone love a career situation which sounds like that of a Trappist Monk in the middle of the Battle of Stalingrad?:D Why not go into the more lucrative and comfortable surrounds of business instead?

Rosita wrote: »
    ................if the classroom is such a forbidding atmosphere and the money so relatively unattractive, why on earth do teachers do it?

How could someone love a career situation which sounds like that of a Trappist Monk in the middle of the Battle of Stalingrad?:D Why not go into the more lucrative and comfortable surrounds of business instead?
    Apologies, Rosita, you are quite right and I wasn't trying to compare pay rates at two very different career stages. The account of my two mates is true, though, and obviously they would have been starting at the bottom.

Also, the money isn't unattractive....I don't think I'm paid badly. Depends on what lifestyle you want, I suppose. I like mine. Why on earth do teachers do it? I started teaching in Ireland at a relatively advanced age (over 30), so having done other jobs I am fortunate enought to be able to compare. I do it because I love it. There is never a morning when I say "Oh God, I don't want to go to work today", and there is never a day when I look at a clock and wish my working day were over. I don't think the classroom is a "forbidding" atmosphere (and in fairness I didn't say that). It is a "robust" and "challenging" one, though, and if you're unused to it, as my mates were, it could be very daunting. Why don't I go into the more lucrative Business area instead? Because I'd be crap at it. I worked in a shoe-shop as a college-student, and couldn't sell shoes even to people who wanted them. So I can't sell. But I can teach. The old GBS cliché "Those who can, do, those who can't, teach" elicited an interesting rejoinder from a colleague once...."But what about those who can teach?". Trappist Monk in the middle of the Battle of Stalingrad? I like your metaphor. Very far from the truth, though, but I'll run it by the Religion and History teachers...;). Have a great weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Apologies, Rosita, you are quite right and I wasn't trying to compare pay rates at two very different career stages. The account of my two mates is true, though, and obviously they would have been starting at the bottom.

Also, the money isn't unattractive....I don't think I'm paid badly. Depends on what lifestyle you want, I suppose. I like mine. Why on earth do teachers do it? I started teaching in Ireland at a relatively advanced age (over 30), so having done other jobs I am fortunate enought to be able to compare. I do it because I love it. There is never a morning when I say "Oh God, I don't want to go to work today", and there is never a day when I look at a clock and wish my working day were over. I don't think the classroom is a "forbidding" atmosphere (and in fairness I didn't say that). It is a "robust" and "challenging" one, though, and if you're unused to it, as my mates were, it could be very daunting. Why don't I go into the more lucrative Business area instead? Because I'd be crap at it. I worked in a shoe-shop as a college-student, and couldn't sell shoes even to people who wanted them. So I can't sell. But I can teach. The old GBS cliché "Those who can, do, those who can't, teach" elicited an interesting rejoinder from a colleague once...."But what about those who can teach?". Trappist Monk in the middle of the Battle of Stalingrad? I like your metaphor. Very far from the truth, though, but I'll run it by the Religion and History teachers...;). Have a great weekend!

Admirable reply. Have a good one too.;)

Rosita wrote: »
    Admirable reply. Have a good one too.;)
    Thanks Rosita! I like this Boards.ie thing. I only joined this week, it's my second ever forum (my other being for birdwatchers....really...). I'm just catching up with the 21st Century.....but to all the teachers and students (and their parents) out there, have a great holiday, I hope the weather holds up for you. And to all the students at all levels who have exams, best of luck!

Advertisement