Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slope soaring ... another newbe questions...

Options
  • 15-05-2008 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi there,

just curious if <this > plane will suit for the slope ?
    Mine does not have neither floats nor wheels and has brushless setup...
    My biggest worry is about "soft cover" - I guess, "landing strip" on a slope will not be that smooth as field at Phoenix ...

I also have Mutiplex FunJet ... couple guys at field have advised me to bring her to the slope ...

Btw, is anyone going to be on Killakee slopes this Sunday (18/05) ?

Regards,
    Dennis

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Without the floats and wheels it will soar fine.
    But it would not penetrate very well, so if the wind is over say force 3 - 15kph on the lfat I wouldn't make the trip to the slope with that model. Less than eg force 3 and you will have a ball. Give it a try and see.

The Killakee slope needs a westerly, or south westerly. Don't go if these east winds continue. Look at Howth Head instead if you are northside.

The landings.... heather is like a vast big mattress. Grass fields will not seem quite the same after a heather landing flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

coolwings wrote: »
    The Killakee slope needs a westerly, or south westerly. Don't go if these east winds continue. Look at Howth Head instead if you are northside.

The landings.... heather is like a vast big mattress. Grass fields will not seem quite the same after a heather landing flight.

Thanks coolwings.

What about Glencree slope ? it seems to be on the same road (?) and faces South-East ...

eh, I'll try Howth then ... anyone up there this Sunday ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The Howth one is here: http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/slopesoaring/howth-slopes.htm I just added a couple of new photos to that page.

The Glencree one is funny. I'd save it for a south east wind. But Glencree is lovely to fly off.
    Today is NE and Bray Head would be brilliant, but the walk and climb !

There has to be a spot on Howth that as I haven't tried in NE . You would have to walk to the left at the T below the summit carpark.

The obvious one - the Bailey entrance has a cliff facing NE. Basically the south slope and you turn around and take twenty paces forward.

howth-slope.jpg

Remember to check for a nice bush or area of grassy vegetation to land it on before chucking!

The thing about Howth is passers by. If they flock around for a gaze then you are pushed into keeping it over the water all the flight, not wanting to overfly anyone for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Hi Guys,

As far as I know, there is a NOTAM for Howth (that was a few years back when I tried this slope... Certainly still exist:confused:)

So, Glencree or Bray Head will be the choice ! (no need to climb for Bray, check out my forum, all infos are here thanks to the Shankill's guys ! :))

For the rest, well, you have my answer :D

Fred

Advertisement