Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best elite-style game?

Options
  • 15-05-2008 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions on a good space-combat games, preferably with the role-play/trading element too?
    I remember playing space rogue on the mac ages ago and really enjoyed it.
    Was thinking of getting a new one with the good graphics and all.
    Is the X series good? The combat looks a little dull on it in youtube.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

If you have the patience of a saint and the naivety of a catholic schoolgirl you could wait for Elite 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

http://www.eve-online.com/ but its a monthly subscription

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I wouldn't play an mmporpg - think I'd get too addicted
    Had the impression the combat in eve is fairly dull too really - more akin to turn based rpgs than to space combat action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

The X series wasn't bad, it kinda went downhill with X3 and a sharp learning curve unless you can get past the start. It basicly throws you in the game with no help or pointers. It was quiet demanding on hardware requirements at the time. I might reinstall it through steam and give it a go again.

The Freespace series of games is pretty good if you just want space combat, 1 and 2 are pretty amazing games. Tachyon: The fringe wasn't too bad (combat only aswell)

Freelancer would be the one that comes to mind when I think of elite like games, then Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos (although not much trading, more stealing, still pretty good. I like the method of travel used in system) Privateer 2: The Darkening, Hardwar (based on an asteroid but quiet like elite, trade, do what you want, etc. You just have to watch out for the ground) Darkstar One was pretty much a freelancer clone but so much less. Space Rangers 2: Dominators has combat and trade in a good balance but it's a top down view of the universe so if you find combat in Eve dull looking then you won't like this.

Here's more of a list.

Eve isn't bad but isn't really like any of those games, it might be inspired by them but not like them at all. You pilot from the third person so there's no fast dodging or lighting maneuvers like in elite or freelancer.

Space combat - both Freespace games. If you haven't played them then you haven't seen space ships that actually look big.

Trade/Combat - Freelancer with a runner up of I-War 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

X3 is 14.99 in game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i loved freelancer. The easy controls using just the mouse was sweet. Combat did get repetitive but the different worlds and trading and exploring was fun. Multiplayer on LAN was the best.

I had X2 but i was only using a controller didnt feel good and seemed pretty complex so i just gave up. Darkstar i just gave up as well.

Played eve-online a lot but kind of different to that of freelancer in that you have to devote a lot more to it, and the combat is point and click.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Another vote for Freelancer. Might have to dig it out again now actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Auvers wrote: »
    http://www.eve-online.com/ but its a monthly subscription

I play this. Its the best MMORPG out there. It has a nightmarish learning curve but once you get into it its fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

eve online

Zillah wrote: »
    I play this. Its the best MMORPG out there. It has a nightmarish learning curve but once you get into it its fantastic.

Eve-online learning curve. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Last game of this nature I played was I-war, not sure of its space trading credentials but a very nice game it was. Beautiful looking and ran on pretty much anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I also liked Freelancer (no trading though, X3 is good for that, but yes its a big learning curve).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Freelancer - Defo

I dug it out last week and im about 50 hours into it and i still havent found every base/station/system/planet yet. good few hours to go. ive been playing it allot the last week because i was bored and thank **** it works on vista without those annoying XP sound issues the game had.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

+1 for freelancer.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident is very good too imo, no trading per say, but you get certain amounts of credits after every mission to spend on repairs,equiptment,weapons etc. A good, well done storyline, and some epic battles. You don't control the ship(s) 1st person, you give orders and manage settings, kind like an RTS, but it feels very different to an RTS to me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mantel wrote: »

I saw that once before and really wanted to find it again, thank you.

stevenmu wrote: »
    +1 for freelancer.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident is very good too imo, no trading per say, but you get certain amounts of credits after every mission to spend on repairs,equiptment,weapons etc. A good, well done storyline, and some epic battles. You don't control the ship(s) 1st person, you give orders and manage settings, kind like an RTS, but it feels very different to an RTS to me at least.

I found Nexus to be quite boring. The fights last sooooo long and your allies always get themselves blown up so get to spend the next hour taking down one or two enemy ship shields. It annoyed the hell out of me, it looked awesome though.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Or you could try Space Rangers 2 if you like your Elite games in even numbered dimensions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

its in beta , but taikodom isnt too bad
    http://www.taikodom.com/
    Game is in full english , but a high proportion of players are brazilian though so a lot of the chat can be in portugese.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Mantel wrote: »
    I found Nexus to be quite boring. The fights last sooooo long and your allies always get themselves blown up so get to spend the next hour taking down one or two enemy ship shields. It annoyed the hell out of me, it looked awesome though.
    I didn't find they took too long myself, the trick was to setup your weapons right and give specific orders, so you could intruct all your ships to concentrate on draining shields, then when they were done order them to use hull destroying weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Or just use certain ships to attck the shield module and poof, down goes the enemy ship.

Nexus is an RTS however.

My vote probably goes for Eve Online follwed by X3 however both have vertical learning curves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement