Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shopplifting on a boat

• 15-05-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

What would happen if you was stopped on a ferry to england and the bleep at the door went off.Then you was taken to the office on the boat and had your belongings searched and they found nothing,would this be a false arrest,or if this was to happen on a boat crossing to say from dublin to england would this be a juristiction problem or are laws and rights different on a boat,id be intreasted in what people no on this matter.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mick087 wrote: »
    What would happen if you was stopped on a ferry to england and the bleep at the door went off.Then you was taken to the office on the boat and had your belongings searched and they found nothing,would this be a false arrest,or if this was to happen on a boat crossing to say from dublin to england would this be a juristiction problem or are laws and rights different on a boat,id be intreasted in what people no on this matter.

As far as I know a boat on the high seas is considered to be subject to the laws of it's flag (i.e. UK ship subject to UK laws etc).

I wonder if shoplifting on the high seas could be considered piracy. I'd love to be brought to the central criminal court or ct 1 in the old bailey for nicking a bottle of jameson and 20 b&h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What would happen if you was stopped on a ferry to england and the bleep at the door went off.Then you was taken to the office on the boat and had your belongings searched and they found nothing,would this be a false arrest
    They would have to arrest you first to be false arrest.
    One of the interesting things I've noticed about programs where they do "behind the scenes" thing with security guards and shoplifters, is that you rarely see the security guys get physical or forceful with the offenders. They tend to get them in a way that sounds as though they're making demands, when in actual fact they're getting the offender to comply, such as - "Can I ask you please to step back into the store?", and, "Can you empty your pockets for me, do you mind if I take a look in this bag?".

As Johnny says, I think depending on the jurisdiction of the sea and the flag of boat, you can be tried under normal laws.

In international waters, to the best of my knowledge, maritime law comes into effect where if certain countries are signed up to it, they can try someone. That is, if I murder someone in international water en route to New York, for example, I can be arrested and tried for murder upon landing in the US. I could be way off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Captains have considerable powers that most proprietors don't.

In international waters, I suspect an offence of false imprisonment wouldn't stand (but kidnap would).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You will need to read up on Bahamaian law as most ferries seem to be registered in the Bahamas or other such exotic locations.

I would also imagine if the alleged offence was commited inside the 12 mile limit the law of the country concerned would apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

As far as I know a boat on the high seas is considered to be subject to the laws of it's flag (i.e. UK ship subject to UK laws etc).

I also think that this is the correct view. The infamous Dutch 'abortion ship' operates on this basis - i.e. sails outside Irish territorial waters to carry out legal Dutch abortions and beyond the jurisdictional reach of Ireland's more conservative abortion laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

So what most people seem to think that if this was to happen to a irish citizan there would not be much point in takeing this to a irish court.he would really need to be takeing this up in England/wales more closer to the ships destination.This is a tricky one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

So what most people seem to think that if this was to happen to a irish citizan there would not be much point in takeing this to a irish court.he would really need to be takeing this up in England/wales more closer to the ships destination.This is a tricky one.

You can't ask for specific legal advice in this forum. I know you didn't actually ask for any but it seems to me like you are edging in that direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In practice, I imagine any offence in Irish Territorial waters will be dealt in Ireland, any offence in British Territorial waters will be dealt in Britain and any offence occurring in the high seas will be dealt with at the next port.

Advertisement