Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy Gel Bars?

Options
  • 15-05-2008 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm doing the Ring of Kerry cycle again this year, last year I hit the wall somewhere after descending from Coomakista. I was chatting with a friend who's done a good few charity cycles and he said that there is a Gel Bar you can get for an energy boost. Anyone know the name or where they can be got or more importantly are they any good?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Any health store or bike shop will supply them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

but remember to drink lots of water when taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I don't find them any better than any other type of food. They do not make a dramatic impact that people seem to think they do, if you need a quick dose of sugar to ensure you don't bonk in the closing stages they are no harm, but some people struggle to digest them. Enervit are pretty good, taste like cough drops sadly, but work well. I was recommended them by some pretty good RAS riders (who have won stages), and although I don't like the taste they do go down easier than most. My advice is to stop in Cahirciveen and stuff as many sandwiches, buns, bananas and whatever else you can find into you. Same difference. As I recall that event puts on quite a spread at the foodstops.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I went around most of the ring last week in glorious sunshine and I must say it is quite spectacular if you get the weather. Unfortunately can't make it down there in July.

Most gels taste revolting especially when they 'warm up' after a few hours in your jersey. These orange ones aren't too bad though :
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4207
    The gels provide carb replacement but they dehydrate you quicker so need to take on more water. Also they won't stop hunger pangs on a long trip so you should also take on food as you go along - bananas, bars, fig rolls,raisins etc
    You should snack regularly when out training to get your body used to digesting while exercising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I use PowerBar Gel (Strawberry and Banana) and PowerBar Ride bars.
    I have Maximuscle Viper for a drink, but obviously that runs out.

The sambos and cake and tea at the RoK stops are great, as are the random 'unofficial' stops where residents along the route hand out stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

daymobrew wrote: »
    I use PowerBar Gel (Strawberry and Banana) and PowerBar Ride bars.
    I have Maximuscle Viper for a drink, but obviously that runs out.

The sambos and cake and tea at the RoK stops are great, as are the random 'unofficial' stops where residents along the route hand out stuff.

That viper stuff is lethal, got a sample of the viper bar and on a recent MTB spin I took off like a rocket down a hill (its laced with caffiene!) !! great buzz though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Maybe check out the Hammer Nutrition range of gels and energy drinks,they are made of natural ingredients,i used there Perpetuem product,mixed it into a very thick paste,put it in a gel bottle,it served me very well at last year's Etape, look at their website: www.hammernutrition.com, they produce a really great free pdf about supplements and nutrition etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Drapper wrote: »
    That viper stuff is lethal, got a sample of the viper bar and on a recent MTB spin I took off like a rocket down a hill (its laced with caffiene!) !! great buzz though!
    I think that you are talking about the Viper Extreme product.
    It has 150mg of caffeine per 50g scoop.

In comparison, the PowerBar caffeinated gels contain 50mg of caffeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

gerardk55- what are you eating at the moment on longer cycles?

Personally I just use the bars and they do me fine. Nutrigrain on the bike as it's easier to eat (soft) and the nut-type ones during the stops. I do find Nutrigrains give a noticable boost pretty quickly. Lucozade diluted with water in one bottle, water with salt in the other. Sandwich half-way through.

Make sure to eat before I feel the need- I use the calorie counter on my computer for this; I am sure it is not accurate but it does take into account climbing vs. descending so it gives me a rough idea. I'm sure a simple time interval would work as well.

Bananas are of course a cyclist staple, I just hate the things.

I'm not going crazy speeds mind, 25km/h average last year in the W200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

gerardk55 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm doing the Ring of Kerry cycle again this year, last year I hit the wall somewhere after descending from Coomakista. I was chatting with a friend who's done a good few charity cycles and he said that there is a Gel Bar you can get for an energy boost. Anyone know the name or where they can be got or more importantly are they any good?

I suppose it can be handy to have an emergency supply of energy in your pocket just in case. But many people find those electrolyte-laden energy gels a bit hard to stomach so don't just try them for the first time on 'race day'.

To be honest though, unless you're planning on racing the whole way around, the regular pit stops should be enough. Feed well at the school in Caherciveen and drink plenty en route, you should be able to make Sneem comfortably without hitting any wall after Coomakista. You can grab a nutrigrain and bottle of lucozade sport at the shop in Sneem which will keep you going 'til the second full refuelling of the day in Kenmare. That'll be more than enough sustain you over the Col de Moll and back into Killarney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i have recently gone off these things as they cut my stomach to bits, i mainly just take nutri-grain bars not as they are cheap and they dont taste that bad.

will only take an energy gel if im about to really calf

Advertisement