Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handlebars

Options
  • 15-05-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Can someone tell me where you can buy those handlebars you always see bike messengers with?

The small flat bar ones something like this -

ShawnRajchel-2.jpg

Ive been looking online but cant seem to find any.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Are they not chopped down regular bars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

Do you mean the ones in the photo or all in general?

I was under the impression you could buy them like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I don't think you can, I think they are all regular bars with bits chopped off each end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

25563.jpg

plus

30695.jpg

Is it possible to climb out of the saddle with bars that narrow?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I wouldn't recommend a hacksaw. You will get a more accurate cut with a pipe cutter, available from most good hardware stores.

Pipe%20Cutter.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Hermy wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend a hacksaw. You will get a more accurate cut with a pipe cutter, available from most good hardware stores.

Sure you can just keep cutting bits off until it's straight. Maybe that's where the whole ultra-narrow thing came from.

545127521_e1157175f5.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Morgan wrote: »
    545127521_e1157175f5.jpg

That bar was cut with a pipe cutter.:pac:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

crowbar- do bear in mind that your steering and comfort over longer cycles will be severely negatively impacted. Any reason you wouldn't get drops which are narrow enough to begin with (my own are 42cm) give you a wide range of hand positions and I've never had any problem squeezing between anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

crowbar188 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me where you can buy those handlebars you always see bike messengers with?

i'll tell you where you can get them if you can explain to me why you would want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It's not hard to cut a handlebar with a hack saw. Surprisingly easy actually. Less than 5 minutes of rapid action required. File the ends to smooth it off, no problem. Didn't have any problems keeping them straight either.

I looked at pipecutters in B&Q but for a once of job, the cost was looney compared to a hacksaw and spare blades.

Actually, while we are on the topic, I was thinking of getting some old drop, chopping em and trying them out as bullbar style handlebars.

Anyone got a spare drop handlebar they no longer wish for ? Or are they dirt cheap in a shop ? I am unfamiliar with such roady accoutrement's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Drops are pretty cheap, I've seen them as low as £8 (heavily discounted Deda ones.)

EDIT: Here you go - £6.75 in a basket over £50.00 from Wiggle.

blorg wrote: »
    crowbar- do bear in mind that your steering and comfort over longer cycles will be severely negatively impacted. Any reason you wouldn't get drops which are narrow enough to begin with (my own are 42cm) give you a wide range of hand positions and I've never had any problem squeezing between anything.
    niceonetom wrote: »
    i'll tell you where you can get them if you can explain to me why you would want them.

Well im not against drops or anything, its just that ive never used them so im not used to them and seeing as how i do most of my cycling in traffic i prefer flat bars. I also like the look of the shorter ones. You would think some company would make them seeing as there seems to be a demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

blorg wrote: »
    Drops are pretty cheap, I've seen them as low as £8 (heavily discounted Deda ones.)

EDIT: Here you go - £6.75 in a basket over £50.00 from Wiggle.

Great, I should have just looked there. Now to find some bar tape to match my yellow bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

There's a chap called Will who lives in england and runs hubjub, which sells fixed gear stuff. Among the bits he sells is this. The Unique Selling Point is that its completely straight, no bends at all. Most straight bars have a slight bend. One of his most popular items.

Thanks, that looks good.

You ever bought anything from him? Is it 2.50 shipping for anywhere? I cant find much info on shipping.

Advertisement