Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon 9800 XT to TV

Options
  • 15-05-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What cable do I need to connect my ATI Radeon 9800XT to a TV?
    In the specs it says it has TV out.
    I can connect it to either scart or the plug sockets (RCA)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

s-video i'd imagine but only if your tv has it, it's a small round socket bout the siz of a fingernail (roughly). Don't think you can convert easily.

looks like this http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dynaweb_docs/hdwr/SGI_EndUser/books/O2_OG/sgi_html/figures/s.video.gif

What kinda TV is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It's just a basic TV with scart and RCA connections.

I was looking at this... DVI to RCA Cable
    Would it require seperate Audio cable for playing sound through the TV?

Well unless you have an LCD or Plasma That is HD ready it won't have a Component connection (generally speaking anyway) this would be red green and blue, plus a red and white for sound, 5 connection side by side.
    What you probably have is a yellow(video) red and white(stereo) connection which is a video and two phono, 3 connections side by side.

RCA describes the type of individual plugs used.

You probably have an RCA video and two phono.

HD uses RCA Component cables.

They do not use the same type of video signal.

That ebay item you linked, the picture is wrong,it could be used on a hd tv and should be red green and blue it does describe it as red green and blue in the details. it converts to Component signal It's no good to you.

I've checked the specs of that card and lke all other cards with tv outs it comes an s-video out for your tv. but it will only work with an svideo connection TV.
    Your best option is to buy a tv card which would send sound and video to your tv. I'll link you to something if you want.

The card has DVI out as well.
    So I can't connect the DVI plug to my computer and the RCA to the TV?

Looks like I'll have to go S-Video to RCA then will I?

Bummer. As long as the picture is reasonable I don't mind. I would have to gt an audio cable as well I guess. Like a small jack to Audio on TV.

kleefarr wrote: »
    The card has DVI out as well.
    So I can't connect the DVI plug to my computer and the RCA to the TV?

Looks like I'll have to go S-Video to RCA then will I?

Bummer. As long as the picture is reasonable I don't mind. I would have to gt an audio cable as well I guess. Like a small jack to Audio on TV.

DVI isnt an option for you it's digital. You will need a seperate audio minijack to two phono adapter.
    S-video to rca sems like an option for you, i wouldnt recommend it though quality will probably be poor.
    You can probably get a cable that pairs the two together.

• Advertisement

How about VGA to RCA? CABLE

There is no guarantee that will work. The s-video to rca should work i'd go with that. Quality is never great on those but it should be watchable. What are you using it for.

I wanted try and play a PC game on the TV.

I'll have a go at this then. http://www.svideo.com/7svto3rca.html

Got that cable a couple of days ago. Plugged it in and connected to my smaller TV. Quite impressed, even with the game images.
    The only thing was that text was not great. :)

nice one.

• Advertisement

Is there anything I can do to improve text?

I noticed in the graphics settings an option to change DPI to a higher amount, I suppose this would help wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I did the same thing, Svideo to rca. it worked pretty good for movies, text however - when using windows was a little bit poxy. I recommend using the included video card software to tweak the aspect ratio etc until you can see things little better.

rafter

Advertisement