Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choke size and shot spread, I've no idea as to what it should be?

Options
  • 15-05-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

I was out last night for the first time since getting a secondhand Mossberg Maverick 88 pump shotgun. First time to use a SG in 35 years, I was only a lad then.
    Anyway nothing out last night so I put up a large sheet of thin white plastic covering. Now from about 30 large paces I fired off 2 carts. to see the spread. At that short range I got a spread of around 36 inches and the shot was well spread out over that 36 inches, a very uniform circle of lead-shot, shots taken on 2 different parts of the plastic sheet.

I used an Eley 7.5 x 28 grain and an Eley 5 x 32 grain. The choke was the one supplied with the gun a Modified 95195 choke.

Is that spread about right only it looked a bit on the large side at the 30 odd yards range. At bigger distances surely the spread would only get bigger? Should I try to get another tighter choke to get the spread smaller? I think the next size choke is a Full choke, would that do?
    I'm only starting out again so keep it simple for me ;) oh the joy's of shooting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

What is your intended quarry? Rabbits, Pigeon, Pheasent..etc etc and what kinda range do you what to shoot? (i would'nt recomend shooting at any live quarry further than 40ish yards.......) this will help identify what you really need and what ammo will most suit your needs.

I have Full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, and Cylinder for my semi and to be honest i only really use the 3/4 (pigeon, rabbits) and the cylinder for slugs. I find that i play around alot more with the chokes on my o/u

After market chokes aren't necessarrily expensive but the cost would mount up when buying a set and why buy somthing you might never use.

Hezz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Mainly going shoot rabbits so I think the 5x32 grain would be best to use.
    It's just that looking at the 2 spread patterns that a lot of the lead-shot will miss the target. So do you only need a few lead-shot to hit for a kill?
    The gun will take 2 3/4 or 3 inch cartridges so are the bigger carts. better and carry more lead?
    And what are turkey chokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

For starters if you have a nice even spread of lead all over the area where the shot impacted that's fine. It means your gun has a nice even spreading pattern.

As for different chokes, how tighter the choke how smaller the area covered by shot at a set distance becomes. For example : my Merkel S/S has a set 3/4 in the right barrel and a full in the left. With a 7.5 28gr cartridge I've no problem breaking a clay at over 70 yards with the left barrel. For live quarry I'd seldom fire at anything more than 45-50 yards away.

Personally for hunting I'd stick to anything thighter than 1/2 on a gun with variable chokes. A number 5 or 6 32g cartridge would be a decent allrounder for hunting in my books as well.

As far as I know anything about turkey chokes ( they're an American thing after all ) they're an extremely thight choke used with heavy big diameter 3" loads.

As for only a couple of pellets hitting the target, don't worry too much about it man. It wouldn't be the first time I've plucked pigeons or pheasants or skinned rabbits or hares that've only taken 2 or 3 pellets. At the end of day you don't want too see the sun shining through the holes in your dinner either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

As for only a couple of pellets hitting the target, don't worry too much about it man. It wouldn't be the first time I've plucked pigeons or pheasants or skinned rabbits or hares that've only taken 2 or 3 pellets. At the end of day you don't want too see the sun shining through the holes in your dinner either.

MeathStevie thats good made me laugh and I see what you mean. I think I'm begining to see the light as well. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

shotgun-chokes.gif

Check out some of the sites below which will explain chokes in detail

Some call cylinder - open choke
    improved cylinder - quarter
    modified - half
    improved modified - three quarters
    - full

http://science.howstuffworks.com/shotgun8.htm

http://www.melbournegunclub.com.au/chokes.html

http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelasfieldguides/FirearmsTechniques/UnderstandingShotgunChokes.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Advertisement