Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What distance for a first timer?

Options
  • 15-05-2008 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

I'm getting a new bike today and don't even know where to start when planning a route! I'm doing primarily to lose a bit of weight and get fit. What distance should I be looking at covering? Or should I set myself a time and just keep cycling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Guess a lot would depend on how fit you are at the mo. Also type of bike your riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

It really depends how fit you are now, as well as if there's hills on the route etc... I'd say just go out and see how you feel, there's no point killing yourself on your first trip! if you're out of shape try 30mins i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

don't push yourself too far or hard, you'll be using muscles you've probably not used before for a long time. Try find yourself a quiet bit of road if possible away from lots of cars, it makes a pleasant cycle. To start with you could aim for around 30 mins or so, maybe 8-10 km depending on the terrain and see how you feel. Don't feel that you MUST do a certain distance or time - some days it's easier than others, depending on what you've eaten, how windy it is, how tired you are etc. Just get used to cycling for a bit first, then you can start to look at longer cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

I'm not completely out of shape, I used run about 5 miles three times a week last year. Got out of the routine and found it nearly impossible to get back into it. I'm hoping the cycling will suit me. I have about a stone to lose, maybe a little more. The bike is a cheap mountainbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

When you've cycled a bit and feel more confident, you can always join us on a Saturday spin :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

luvlylady wrote: »
    I'm not completely out of shape, I used run about 5 miles three times a week last year. Got out of the routine and found it nearly impossible to get back into it. I'm hoping the cycling will suit me. I have about a stone to lose, maybe a little more. The bike is a cheap mountainbike!

I'd say just go out and enjoy the sun! just pick somewhere maybe a short bus journey away and see what you feel like after that. If its no bother to you pick a new place from there and extend the route i suppose... also no harm going somewhere nice, if you're in dublin up the park or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Not in Dublin but there's plenty of places here down south!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op it depends like others have said on your fitness terrain etc.
    and the wind!
    I was pretty fit before I started cycling but now I do about 35k per day along with 2 matches a week. So as you can imagine my legs can be sore sometimes :D.

Just do what you enjoy, personally I enjoy the cycle home more than the cycle into work but I wont be going back the the Bus/Luas anytime soon!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

a pro cylist once told me that you should set how long you want to ride for.

say start off from one hour and then if you find it ok stay out for longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Cycle in to the wind for the first part of your cycle. You will be tired when to turn back so it's nice to have the help of the wind on your back.

I found out the hard way on my 1st cycle, I thought I would never make it home and I only did 10km.

I spoke to my Uncle last week, he used to cycle 70-80 miles no problem, his 1st cycle was only 3 miles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement