Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bright star like object

Options
  • 15-05-2008 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

Saw bright star like object travelling fairly fast over Dublin at around 3am last night. I thought it was a fast moving airplane but had no flashing lights. Was among brightest objects in sky. Moved from generally westerly to easterly and out over Irish sea almost directly overhead to me in Dublin 9. No tail on it. What was it likely to be, I checked for Iridium flares but it doesnt match any records , maybe ISS or some other satellite.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 murphyme

There was a bright mag -2 ISS pass at around that time that fits the bill.

From heavens-above:

16 May -2.3 03:17:19 25 WSW 03:18:47 57 S 03:21:38 10 E

Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It regularly passes over Ireland. With the help of Heavens Above, you can see when it is due. Usually it'll pass over regularly for about 10 - 14 days and then you won't see it again for a couple of months. This site will tell you exactly where it is at any given time, along with many other satellites:

http://www.n2yo.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

See three last night travelling in different directions over the course of an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

With the sun not so far below the horizon all night, this is the time of year when you will see most satellites. If it is clear and you spend a bit of time looking, you'll often see some. If you are lucky you may even see several within a few minutes of each other.

Advertisement