Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shearaton Hotel Athlone - anyone been? review?

• 15-05-2008 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Staying here shortly on business.
    Anyone been or seen good reviews about it?
    Just opened earlier in the month I think. Having some teething issues (leisure and fitness centres still not opening) and some reservation probs.

Near any nice pubs / restaurants?

Any input welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

Stayed there and loved it - very modern. Spa and leisure centre are open now too and very posh. Food is too die for in the resturant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Staying here shortly on business.
    Anyone been or seen good reviews about it?
    Just opened earlier in the month I think. Having some teething issues (leisure and fitness centres still not opening) and some reservation probs.

Near any nice pubs / restaurants?

Any input welcome!

Check out tripadvisor.com, its got some excellent early reviews. Its dead centre of Athlone. plenty of pubs and restaurants within easy walk. Pubs recommended, would be Gurty's and Sean's Bar, over the bridge, about 5 minutes walk or so. Kin Khao restaurant up beside Sean's Bar, is a superb Thai restaurant to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

€4.60 for a pint of lager in the bar. €5 for glass of wine (I think)
    The bar itself is nice enough. Doesnt quite look like a regular hotel bar but doesnt look quite like a pub/bar either!

Can't comment on all of them but 1 bar man in particular needed to have a wine spritzer explained to him as he'd never heard of it before!!

They also own the Harvest Cafe which is upstairs in the Shopping Centre ... only ate there once, never again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Cheers for all the help folks.
    Went a while back and loved it - was never in Athlone, but always heard bad things about it, which was unfair.
    Had a fab time in the place - Seans Bar was great, and found some lovely restaurants.
    Got a great deal on the hotel, and the spa / pool was brilliant.
    Highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

While I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting the Shr I would like to offer some advice on surrounding area.The arrival of the Shr has given a welcome boost to what has always been a rather dull part of the town.There are three pubs in the immediate area none of which can be recommended.Next door to the Shr is The Shannon bar grubby down at heel but lively at weekends.Across the street is ONeills,ok for pub grub during the day but dont bother any other time its a rough dive.The other one is Cartys.It too is a dive but a friendly dive.Lively at weekends watch your wallet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement