Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History special topic project!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Imallin9989

In my view I think you should pick something local and unique, for example I picked a local racing event that was of huge importance to Carlow town in th 17 and 18th century. It gives the examiner something she/he has prob never come across before. So pick something from your locaility thats interesting.:D;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

So just wanted to know how far on are people in this. We are just starting ours but i still cant make up my mind on what to do. I doing religion as well so i want something that i can do for both History and Religion. Any ideas? I was thinking the Results of Vatican 2 in Ireland but i have kind of gone off it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LiveLifeLively

I really haven't even thought about it yet. Everyone else in my class seems to have some idea of what they are doing. Could I do Anne Boylen maybe or else maybe Boolavogue? I know this next one's a long shot but maybe the sign of the horns? You know the thing you do at heavy metal concerts and stuff. Cos that I'm interested in... and plus it also has different meanings in different religions and cultures. It'd be so cool if I could do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

I really haven't even thought about it yet. Everyone else in my class seems to have some idea of what they are doing. Could I do Anne Boylen maybe or else maybe Boolavogue? I know this next one's a long shot but maybe the sign of the horns? You know the thing you do at heavy metal concerts and stuff. Cos that I'm interested in... and plus it also has different meanings in different religions and cultures. It'd be so cool if I could do that!
    with the little finger and the index pointing up? .. i thought that meant love..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It has a name?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I did my History project (LC 2007) on the Influence of Grigori Rasputin on the Russian Royal Family, 1910-1917. Was given 98/100 for it.

My girlfriend did hers on Tom Crean (LC 2008) and got 97/100.

Both topics were very difficult to research due to the lack of available (and reliable) texts on these individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LiveLifeLively

KatCookie wrote: »
    with the little finger and the index pointing up? .. i thought that meant love..

Yeah that's why I want to do it cos it means a lot of things... not very historical though so i suppose i should scrap that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

strongr wrote: »
    So just wanted to know how far on are people in this. We are just starting ours but i still cant make up my mind on what to do. I doing religion as well so i want something that i can do for both History and Religion. Any ideas? I was thinking the Results of Vatican 2 in Ireland but i have kind of gone off it now.

em im on my 2nd draft but im my class of around 15 id say theres at least 6 who havent started it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

If you're in 6th year, you should be all well into it now...we had our first draft done about half way into October

I did mine on an artist called Cesca Trench who lived during 1916 and how all the events of the time influenced her work....pretty obscure and i only started it at after Christmas TBH!I had been doing Irish neutrality during WW2 but was way too broad!

My advice is too keep it specific as possible...if you're interested in Hitler for example, choose a small part of his life i.e his time in the bunker, his relationship with Eva Braun maybe. Though, if the person is lesser known, as my artist was, I was able to pretty much write about her life. We were told this was a godd idea too, as its simple and straight foward....they were born here, they did this, they died at this time...

Also, the examiners love love LOVE local history....i.e the story of your town, how it grew etc. It shows you actually went out and did some researcgh instead of just picking up your history book and regurgitating the info!

Hope this helps! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

If I was to do it again, I'd do Anne Boylen or Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire (loving the Tudors and the film "The Duchess"!!) Would be easy to get sources on them as there seems to be more of a general interest in period dramas lately.

I'd also love to look into the life of Eva Peron....she seems a pretty interesting story!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

lilmizzme wrote: »

Also, the examiners love love LOVE local history....i.e the story of your town, how it grew etc. It shows you actually went out and did some researcgh instead of just picking up your history book and regurgitating the info!
    Primary research FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Ah! i think i've just found out tht the topic i was going to do has no actual sources, ie i can't prove what happened is real, anbd i've to have my outline plan done by next week!! :(

does anybody have an ideas on agricultural topics? ie farming, tractors, im fairly stuck here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

KatCookie wrote: »
    Ah! i think i've just found out tht the topic i was going to do has no actual sources, ie i can't prove what happened is real, anbd i've to have my outline plan done by next week!! :(

does anybody have an ideas on agricultural topics? ie farming, tractors, im fairly stuck here!
    if you are into farming why not try the tractor one

its nice - horses - threshing machines -tractors etc and define a period say 1930-60

so you could have onset of mechanisation
    decreae in uses of horses
    war years and fuel its impact
    post war and tractor
    fall in agricultural labor with mechanisation

it would bring you thru ww ii etc

loads of sourses especially from farming organisations and ploughing championships

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Aine1981

I did my history project on Bloody Sunday 1920. I mapped out the activities from the morning to the night time. I enjoyed the project as this was the area that interested me.
    As some of the guys on the form have said pick something you are interested in. It helps. Best of luck

Advertisement