Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking suggestions for cafe location south Dublin

Options
  • 15-05-2008 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All,

I am planning to open a cafe in south county Dublin (I live near Stillorgan) and I am looking for suggestions as to where I might locate, please.

I would like to find a premises in a mature residential area, probably part of a row of shops; there are several such small developments around and the premises are hard to find on internet sites such as daft. Typical size 75 sq m. I am not inclined to locate in villages themselves.

I plan to sell coffee, hot sandwiches, salads, pastries, etc, with an emphasis on top quality ingredients, everything prepared to order. Some of my sandwiches will be unusual - not off-the-wall, just not the usual fare you find in most places. Target market would be the local residents and any nearby businesses. All the better if there's a school or playground nearby.

If you know of an location (even better if there's a suitable premises to let there) where you think there's a market for my idea, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Rathmines needs a good coffee shop. There's a great site almost opposite Leinster Road... between the Town Hall and th Swan Centre but... it might be a short term lease which is why I haven't jumped on it myself. If you're interested in a partnership operation let me know... I've been thinking along the same lines but haven't made the leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I don't think there's any coffee shops in Clonskeagh.
    Surprising given, that it's right beside UCD.

Blisterman wrote: »

6 students sitting around one cup of your cheapest coffee for 3 hours = bankruptcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Rathmines needs a good coffee shop. There's a great site almost opposite Leinster Road... between the Town Hall and th Swan Centre but... it might be a short term lease which is why I haven't jumped on it myself. If you're interested in a partnership operation let me know... I've been thinking along the same lines but haven't made the leap.

I was Thinking of Rathmines...
    The Building where Del-ish was is now on the market.. Is'nt Moda up for lease too?
    And I think I know of the Building you're thinking of.. The whole back of that building is gone...

There is another building there too does it begin with R????

LoanShark wrote: »
    I was Thinking of Rathmines...
    The Building where Del-ish was is now on the market.. Is'nt Moda up for lease too?
    And I think I know of the Building you're thinking of.. The whole back of that building is gone...

There is another building there too does it begin with R????

Del-ish never really took off under any guise... I suspect it's at a point where people are either close to home or early in their walk to work... either way is bad for casual custom.

Moda has been on the market for ages... asking €350k or thereabouts. I haven't seen the accounts but I'm not convinced it would be worth it in it's present format.

The building I was (and I stress WAS) thinking of was once Chartbusters and has the whitewashed windows. Great location and size but as I said before... too short a lease and no business to sell on as it will all be demolished.

Dunno the "R" building!

• Advertisement

Del-ish never really took off under any guise... I suspect it's at a point where people are either close to home or early in their walk to work... either way is bad for casual custom.

Moda has been on the market for ages... asking €350k or thereabouts. I haven't seen the accounts but I'm not convinced it would be worth it in it's present format.

The building I was (and I stress WAS) thinking of was once Chartbusters and has the whitewashed windows. Great location and size but as I said before... too short a lease and no business to sell on as it will all be demolished.

Dunno the "R" building!

HI I was talking about the Chartbusters Building that is the one that has No Back to th building.(Well it had no back when I last saw it)

The R building is the old RAC office in rathmines that is now closed.
    There is also a few unused outlets near Jo Burgers I think there was a charity shop in one of them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'll throw in dun laoghaire as a suggestion. Lots of people working in teh area and on sunny days the town is jammed. The only existing places really are Insomnia, a costa coffee upstairs in H&H (which a lot of people don't even seem to know about lol) and my own favourite, Poppies a little further up on georges St nearer the people's park.

On a side note, I really liked Delish the few times i was in there - sth nice and old school about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Blisterman wrote: »

There is a couple of pubs serving food and a lot of people head down Ranelagh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

6 students sitting around one cup of your cheapest coffee for 3 hours = bankruptcy.

There is also a staff bases of a couple thousand

• Registered Users Posts: 21 werbone

Thanks everybody for your input, I'll follow up all suggestions. Keep them coming!

• Advertisement

werbone wrote: »
    Thanks everybody for your input, I'll follow up all suggestions. Keep them coming!

If You Build It We Will Come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

What brand/type of coffee and tea would you plan on using?

Advertisement