Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone missing a rabbit???? Bremore Castle estate, Balbriggan

Options
  • 15-05-2008 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

This%20little%20guy%20appeared%20in%20my%20back%20garden%20yesterday.%20I%27ve%20asked%20a%20few%20of%20the%20local%20kids%20if%20they%20own%20him%20but%20no%20luck%20so%20far.%20It%27s%20beige%20with%20a%20fluffy%20white%20tail,%20so%20so%20cute.This little guy appeared in my back garden yesterday. I've asked a few of the local kids if they own him but no luck so far. It's beige with a fluffy white tail, so so cute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Comforting Rabbit Stew with white wine

The secret to the intense flavour of this recipe is browning the rabbit pieces, and all the other ingredients that go into it. Caramelising everything provides a base to support the wine and the stock and gives you a wonderfully earthy round flavour.

Serves 2 (4 for a starter)

Ingredients

One rabbit, jointed – get your butcher to do this (if frozen, defrost fully)
    2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
    2 small onions, cut into quarters or 8 pearl onions, drained from a jar
    1/2 chicken stock cube made up with 8 fluid ounces (1/2 pint) of water or the equivalent in fresh chicken stock
    2 cured rashers/bacon cut into small pieces
    1 glass of dry white wine
    Olive oil and butter for frying
    Salt and pepper

iStock_rabbit200(2).jpg

1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Season the rabbit pieces with salt and pepper. Put a splash of olive oil and a knob of butter in a big frying pan. Heat until the butter is melted. Add the rabbit pieces and fry all over until they are as brown as you can get them without burning them. This is important for the final finish and flavour.
    2. Take the pieces out and put them into an oven proof casserole or terracotta dish.
    3. In the same pan, fry the onions until they are caramelised on all sides. Add them to the casserole.
    4. In the same pan, fry the garlic until it is lightly browned. Add to the casserole.
    5. Add the bacon pieces to the pan and brown them until the fat is crispy. Add to the casserole.
    6. Make up the stock cube if you are not using fresh stock and add the stock to the casserole. Add the wine and stir.
    7. Put the casserole in the oven and cook for 50-60 minutes until the rabbit is meltingly tender.
    Cook's note
    – If you want a thicker sauce, sprinkle the browned rabbit pieces with flour when you place them in the casserole. You will need to stir the casserole about 10 minutes after you put it in the oven.
    – You can add a few potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks, into the stew after 30 minutes of cooking time. You will have less sauce if you do this and it is probably best not to add the flour to the rabbit pieces.
    – This is very easy to reheat and the flavour is even more exciting the next day. Add a little more water, wine or stock if it needs it and reheat at 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 for 15 minutes.
    – If you have leftovers, strip the rabbit from the bones and use it to make a risotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

You're terrible!! It's bad enough that the neighbourhood cats are staking out the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

where abouts is bremore?

Bremore Castle is where the locals affectionately call "Legoland". Its off Hamlet Lane, just past O'Dwyers Gaa on the left hand side.

Bremore Castle is where the locals affectionately call "Legoland". Its off Hamlet Lane, just past O'Dwyers Gaa on the left hand side.

Balbriggan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Bremore Castle is where the locals affectionately call "Legoland".

Oh it's just one piece of Lego Land. There are many.

OP - they tide will be full out at around 6pm today if you want to bring it for a 'walk'.

Sorry, I just assumed that people would know it was Balbriggan, as most of the threads here are about the briggan..My bad!!!
    It is only a small part of "Legoland", I can't believe how many estates are springing up, you wonder where they will stop?

Lol at you Bluetonic, wouldn't I look great going down the beach with a rabbit hopping along beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

This%20little%20guy%20appeared%20in%20my%20back%20garden%20yesterday.%20I%27ve%20asked%20a%20few%20of%20the%20local%20kids%20if%20they%20own%20him%20but%20no%20luck%20so%20far.%20It%27s%20beige%20with%20a%20fluffy%20white%20tail,%20so%20so%20cute.This little guy appeared in my back garden yesterday. I've asked a few of the local kids if they own him but no luck so far. It's beige with a fluffy white tail, so so cute.

Aww he's so cute! I live in Bremore and all i can hear are dogs barking all night long :mad: Or cats sitting on the fence and the bbq staring at me!
    It would be a nice surprise if i found that little fella in the back garden for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

it would look even stranger if you were in the nip

dubmick wrote: »
    it would look even stranger if you were in the nip

This has happened!! :D

Just looking back i don't think you meant the cat staring at me, sorry (the shame!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Aww he is lovely:)
    I used to see loads of Hares around but never any rabbits.

Maybe if you put a note up in Dunnes or Supervalu the owner might be able to find you.

It is very very cute. I've made leaflets so I'll drop them into a few more houses tonight in the hope I'll find it's owner. I've no idea how it came to be in my garden as I've concrete walls on 3 sides, he must have come up the road and under the side gate.

Jessie, if you have any kids cud u ask them to ask their friends if it's theirs. I'm ashamhed to say I'm living here 3 years and I know none of my neighbours, I felt a right twat going knocking on doors.

It is very very cute. I've made leaflets so I'll drop them into a few more houses tonight in the hope I'll find it's owner. I've no idea how it came to be in my garden as I've concrete walls on 3 sides, he must have come up the road and under the side gate.

Jessie, if you have any kids cud u ask them to ask their friends if it's theirs. I'm ashamhed to say I'm living here 3 years and I know none of my neighbours, I felt a right twat going knocking on doors.

it's a good way of getting to know your neighbours! the first contact is always the hardest.

We're there a year and a half and don't know the neighbours either. My bf knows one of them to say hello, the others the other side of us keep to themselves. I wouldn't even know them to see!
    So i'm afraid i don't know anyone either, sorry. I'd say Dunnes would be a good bet or throw a poster or 2 up on some lamposts, there's always kids out playing and someone is bound to spot it.

Thanks for that, I'll drop up to Dunnes and superValue with a leaflet. I went looking for some kids yesterday evening but none were to be found.

Jessie1, We could be nieghbours and wouldn't know it!!!! It's terrible really, I only really know my immediate neighbours and even at that its just to say hello and a quick chat on the driveway. The rest of them I would pass them in the street without knowing who they were.

I would say I live in Balbriggan but still refer to my parents house as "home"

Same here, i don't refer to it as home either! Think my parents house will always be 'home'.
    Maybe we are neighobours! Although yesterday there were loads of kids playing outisde the house all evening with footballs and the like, my heart was in my mouth because they were on the road and a bit too close to my car for comfort with the footballs and tennis balls ! Didn't want to be like an old biddy and ask them to move up a bit.
    If i see them again tonight i'll say it to them about the rabbit and if anyone knows anything i'll let you know!

Thanks a million for that Jessie1. I had to run a few of them off my front grass a while ago as they were tramping on the plants right outside my window so they don't come down our end anymore. I'm sure they think I'm an aul biddy!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

This is around the stage when someone suggests Balbriggan Beers again... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I would partake in Balbriggan Beers, just name a place and date.

BTW another Bremore Castle resident here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mehh

jessie1 wrote: »
    Aww he's so cute! I live in Bremore and all i can hear are dogs barking all night long :mad: Or cats sitting on the fence and the bbq staring at me!

What's the story will all the damn cats in Bremore anyhow, every time I look out the back windows there's one on the fence lookin smug or taking a dumb in the garden.

That bunny did well to avoid em

• Advertisement

Darren I just had a quick look at your Flickr and those pics of Balbriggan beach and harbour are amazing.

As for the cats, I hadn't seen any of them before yesterday. They were like ninja's leaping around the place trying to get at poor bunny.

I can handle the cats, just about, looking at me with their beady green eyes but its the dogs that drive me mad. I swear they bark all night, one starts the other off and i'm seriously lacking sleep! I've tried earplugs. Seriously though, how do the owners of these dogs sleep!! Grr, rant over, sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

The barking can get a bit much. I have a dog myself but he sleeps indoors and is very well behaved. Now, the cats are multiplying by the looks of it and they have no fear in antagonising my dog.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I suggest "The Hamlet" as a venue for no other reason then it is within walking distance for anyone in Legoland;)
    A thread should prob be dedicated to Balbriggan drinks too so people can see it obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

did you find the owner yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

The Bolt- This thread is over a year old so imagine rabbits owner was found by now or if not someone has taken him in to keep..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement