Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAMN brickwall

Options
  • 15-05-2008 5:21pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So for the past few months of been bandless I've decided I want to further myself as a musician before I join any other band.

tbh Im not all that great, Im good at learning songs and most solos, but theory wise I know nothing and and in terms of playing I really dont know what to learn anymore. i.e hit a brickwall. and I really want to further myself.

First off I will need a list of scales and then are vital.

and I really dont get the talk of modes.. It really confuses me. So if someone could help out it would be appreciated.:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I like Guthrie Govans book (Creative Guitar Book 1). I don't know if its the best out there, but it seems pretty good to me, and covers basically what you're looking for - basic theory, chord construction, scales, modes..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

oof 33yoyos lol! It would wanna be good haha!

Thanks for that! Will order it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was thinking of doing lessons myself. Though I did buy a book, I haven't got the finger out to start going through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

im in the same boat myself. I'v been trying to get into playing Jazz lately, it can be nice and technical and also opens up a whole new world of music theory (modes, modulations, real improvisation. ;) ) I'm not a huge fan of Jazz music but am really beginning to enjoy learning it. There is a rake of stuff on the net worth checking out if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    So for the past few months of been bandless I've decided I want to further myself as a musician before I join any other band.

tbh Im not all that great, Im good at learning songs and most solos, but theory wise I know nothing and and in terms of playing I really dont know what to learn anymore. i.e hit a brickwall. and I really want to further myself.

First off I will need a list of scales and then are vital.

and I really dont get the talk of modes.. It really confuses me. So if someone could help out it would be appreciated.:o

Maybe it's not what you want to hear, but I think a few lessons from a good teacher would get you over that brick wall and point you in the right direction. Maybe the teacher could recommend a theory book that you could both work from.

From my very basic knowledge of theory, modes work like this :

Scale of C major = CDEFGAB(C) which is the Ionian mode.

If you start and end on a different note e.g. D ( the 2nd note ) you get : DEFGABC(D) which is the next mode of the C major scale i.e. D Dorian.

There are seven different modes, depending on which note of the major scale you start and end on.

This is a very basic description but I hope it helps. :)

EDIT : There are some threads on this forum dealing with modes.

• Advertisement

^yeah I got that =)

On the lessons part: Yeah your right. Im gonna get a few lessons on this topic.

Thanks for you help guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

^yeah I got that =)

On the lessons part: Yeah your right. Im gonna get a few lessons on this topic.

Thanks for you help guys!

I was in the same position as you a few months back, I was able to play but just stumped when it came to theory. I decided to get a teacher and its much better now. I can read music and I'm finally getting the hang of scales and shoite like that. :)

^Inspiration xD

Maybe lessons will act as a jump cable and get me going again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

^Inspiration xD

Maybe lessons will act as a jump cable and get me going again. :)

If you're in Dublin, send me a PM and I'll give you the info for my teacher. He teaches in the city center and is really good. :)

Advertisement