Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a ladies bike

Options
  • 15-05-2008 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi, I am new to cycling and want to purchase a decent bike for commuting to work in Dublin. A friend suggested a hybrid bike over a mountain bike. I am on a tight budget and want to get a good bike for as cheap as possible. Can anyone help with models, places to buy, second hand places etc. I know Im asking the impossible-quality for a low price! But I just want to get the best deal. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Hybrid is indeed the best idea. Buy&Sell, adverts.ie and gumtree.ie are good places to look for second-hand. What sort of budget were you thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sarahspud

Hi, Thanks for those suggestions. I am regularly scanning those websites, plus craigslist. The top end of my budget is around 200 but I would like to get it for a lot less if possible as I also have to buy a helmet, lock etc. Are there any good shops that sell secondhand bikes? The one in UCD is poor, they have no secondhand bikes currently and the staff are unfriendly and unhelpful. Can anyone advice which brands are good quality?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You should get something for €200. "A lot less" might be pushing it but you could possibly get something good for €150.

Good brands that do hybrids include Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant.

Dawes do good low-end hybrids that are popular- look out for something like a Discovery 201.

Something like this if it fit, I'd try to bargain them down:
    buyandsell wrote:
    Dawes Discovery 201. Leinster Dublin 5
    Like new only on road 1 yr with 2 new anti- puncture road tyres.200euro 200 087-9355457

I have a Discovery 201 myself which I use for about town and it has been very reliable.

Advertisement