Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelers moved in...!

Options
  • 15-05-2008 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

anyone any advice here, would be great.

I bought a house in a housing development on the outskirts of Galway city (headford road). Its quite a decent area. On Monday, a travelers caravan moved into the cul de sac at the end of the road. Then on Wednesday, another caravan moved in. Im not a snob, far from it to be honest, but not really fond of looking out my front door at jippos.

How or who can get rid of them, move the bastards along? They havent caused bother yet, but they always do. And when it happens, the bastards either move away in the night or "Ah garda, twas nathin ta do wit us, boss" Any advice greatly appreciated?

And before all you activists start a campaign on my ass for not liking jippos, dont. Not interested. I pay taxes and the government will pin my ass for every penny i make. Travelers dont. They operate and move above the law, and take/expect everything for sweet fuk all!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Challenge them to a boxing fight, for a caravan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

biko wrote: »
    Challenge them to a boxing fight, for a caravan.

Not a bad idea! If only ya could take on one at a time and not have the entire family of bastards after ya for life!!:D

Live with it.

Asked for help and advice, not an answer from a member of the masses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Ask advice in the Travellers Centre, it's near Argos. Honestly, they're really helpful. Explain you have nothing against the travellers in question but that you're concerned.

• Advertisement

Ask advice in the Travellers Centre, it's near Argos. Honestly, they're really helpful. Explain you have nothing against the travellers in question but that you're concerned.

Hey, cheers for that. Honestly never thought of that course of action. Nice peaceful friendly(ish) approach. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Bring them over a hamper with food and toiletries, don't forget the toiletries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Get onto the City Council and complain like f***. They are probably the ones the moved out of Ballybane.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

How do you envisage this going? You read the original post presumably; clearly the OP does have a problem with members of the travelling community.
    Me? I picture:
    OP Goes to the council: "I'm not a racist, but I have concerns about some ni...black people moving in..."

If they haven't caused any trouble, why make some? "because they always do"?
    OP: You, sir, are a bigot (or a member of the Thought Police, in which case I'll expect to see you as I turn away from the keyboard...)
    The Travellers have my sympathy, they deserve a better neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Karoma wrote: »
    How do you envisage this going? You read the original post presumably; clearly the OP does have a problem with members of the travelling community.
    Me? I picture:
    OP Goes to the council: "I'm not a racist, but I have concerns about some ni...black people moving in..."

OP: You, sir, are a bigot (or a member of the Thought Police, in which case I'll expect to see you as I turn away from the keyboard...)

Aw, enough PC shite! You can't say anything about a minority these days, even if its true, without some do-gooder shouting "racist!"
    The OP paid a lot of money to buy a house in a nice area, why should he have to share it now with someone who just pulled up in their van one day and parked the caravan. If the travellers want to live there, let them buy a house too. We all know there are problems with a large number of travellers, so let's not pretend they're all nice and neighbourly.
    I'm not sure you'd be so PC if they parked up outside your house and set up camp :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Zzippy wrote: »
    Aw, enough PC shite! You can't say anything about a minority these days, even if its true, without some do-gooder shouting "racist!"
    The OP paid a lot of money to buy a house in a nice area, why should he have to share it now with someone who just pulled up in their van one day and parked the caravan. If the travellers want to live there, let them buy a house too. We all know there are problems with a large number of travellers, so let's not pretend they're all nice and neighbourly.
    I'm not sure you'd be so PC if they parked up outside your house and set up camp :rolleyes:

Good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Seriously!! Are you having a laugh?

Would you like if a load of travellers pitched up their caravans beside your house? I think not.

My uncle had a load of travellers come onto one of his fields about two years ago. They were the most aggressive shower of fu*ckers I've ever come across. The little sh*t kids repeatedly stole from the farm, they tried to break into the house and they keyed my uncle's jeep.

Initially my uncle tried to be civil about the matter and asked them to leave, to which they told him to fu* k off and called him out for a fight. They said that the only way they would leave was if he gave them €5,000 cash (of course). The alternative would be to bring Circuit Court trespass proceedings which would cost over €5k also.

Being a stubborn gent my uncle went for option C. At about 5am one morning he and several friends went into the field with about four truck loads of huge stones and proceeded to build a ring of stones around the camp. The icing on the cake was when he and his friends drove their tractors with the slurry throwing machines around the camp nicely coating it in fresh slurry. Needless to say it wasn't long til the travellers were on their merry way again. All in all the stones and the slurry probably cost about €5k but it was the principle of the matter.

As for moving the jips out of your estate you will need to make a big stink with the local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

That just HAS to be a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Me? I picture:

I'm backing Karoma here.

I'm unsure if there are any laws against what they did, if they broke something, then by all means complain to the cops.

You say they always cause trouble, what is this based on? I know a few (even named Ward) and they are all sound people.

My aunt also used to teach some of them to read, they hated the negative image they kept getting due to the actions of a few troublemakers who gave the rest of them a bad name.

Travellers are just like the rest of us, there are good uns and bad uns. Tarring all with the same brush is just silly.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Forget about the fact that there are travellers.

Two caravans park up in a cul de sac in a housing estate and effectively, set up residence...and the people that have taken out mortgages to provide a home for themselves have to be good neighbours!

I presume you're not a home owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Reminds me of To Kill a Mockingbird and Bob Ewell complaining that the blacks devalue his property.

If the travellers are on public land, then they really aren't doing anything wrong, despite your dislike of them being neighbours.

If they do something wrong, then by all means go to the guards.

Until then, sort yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

simple op- do what glenamaddy(co. galway) did a few years ago, gang a locals, upturned torched caravans, badda bing badda bang, safe neighbourhood again.pc my hole.power to the man that pays!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Reminds me of To Kill a Mockingbird and Bob Ewell complaining that the blacks devalue his property.

If the travellers are on public land, then they really aren't doing anything wrong, despite your dislike of them being neighbours.

Right, so if 50 caravans park in my estate, I should be neighbourly to them, as long as they don't break the law? Sorry, but they're not my fuckin neighbours!
    Cop yourself on, its clear you're not a homeowner.

You know you can't live on public land?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Lets all be honest here and put ourselves in the OP's situation. You buy a house in a reputable neighborhood, pay a fair price for the right to live there and set down roots. All of a sudden someone who, for whatever reasons they may have(cultural or financial) decides they want to live next to you. Fine, except they have not paid for the right to be there nor have they any intention of doing so. I think we can all agree this is unfair, especially considering the knock-on effects of having itinerants squatting on your road can have(Devalued prices of property, increased chance of more itinerants showing up and increased chance of criminal activity, though I admit the last is an assumption based upon my previous experience with the traveling community).

Now the OP may have no legal right to say who lives on that land on which these people have moved onto, it is public land of course. But seriously. He paid to live there. They did not. If they don't want to consider themselves "settled" then why choose a housing estate and not somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Cook them breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I know a few (even named Ward) and they are all sound people.
    Tarring all with the same brush is just silly.
    Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Rather ironic to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Would you like if a load of travellers pitched up their caravans beside your house? I think not.

My uncle had a load of travellers come onto one of his fields about two years ago.

...blah blah blah...
    Are they the same travellers that the OP is talking about? No? Then presuming that they're going to cause the same trouble, and be the same based on the fact that they are from a particular community and adhere to a particular lifestyle = racism/bigotry.

Hellm0 wrote: »
    Fine, except they have not paid for the right to be there nor have they any intention of doing so. I think we can all agree this is unfair, especially considering the knock-on effects of having itinerants squatting on your road can have(Devalued prices of property, increased chance of more itinerants showing up and increased chance of criminal activity, though I admit the last is an assumption based upon my previous experience with the traveling community).

Now the OP may have no legal right to say who lives on that land on which these people have moved onto, it is public land of course. But seriously. He paid to live there. They did not. If they don't want to consider themselves "settled" then why choose a housing estate and not somewhere else?
    Cole wrote: »
    Two caravans park up in a cul de sac in a housing estate and effectively, set up residence...and the people that have taken out mortgages to provide a home for themselves have to be good neighbours!
    They paid for a mortgage to buy their house, they got their house. Any "devaluation" is going to be based on the opinions of like-minded bigots (See kickoutthejam's reference for similarity just replace "itinerants" with black people and era...too bad some people are stuck firmly in the past)
    All I'm saying is, give them a chance. If they turn out to be like you imagined, then so be it - report them to the authorities, just don't presume anything.

papagormo wrote: »
    simple op- do what glenamaddy(co. galway) did a few years ago, gang a locals, upturned torched caravans, badda bing badda bang, safe neighbourhood again.pc my hole.power to the man that pays!
    Inciting violence against a minority? I wish there were laws against this.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Rather ironic to say the least.
    How so? I don't think he said "all travellers are sound based on the few I know."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Tell them their mother/sister/daughter looks hot - you'll be right in there :D

Halla halla sham

I think this was directed towards my previous post..asking if you were a home owner?

Lets not turn this into the...'educated, broad-minded, liberal and therefore obviously correct' against the 'uneducated, narrow-minded, bigot' type of argument.
    Literary references don't make your opinion any stronger.

I didn't mention property being devalued and I didn't address their race or being a minority. In your desire to be politically correct, you can't see any contrary opinion as not being bigoted.

As for sorting myself out..you began your post by reference to literature and ended it with a dismissive, somewhat 'ignorant' comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

OP, you have my sympathies. You need to nip this in the bud - how I don't know.

I can't believe the amount of PC sh*te from people, nobody would want a shower of 'shkonks' to pull up alongside them.

Maybe you should talk to your 'proper' neighbours to try to decide on a legal collaboarative approach.

They paid for a mortgage to buy their house, they got their house. Any "devaluation" is going to be based on the opinions of like-minded bigots

You specifically quoted me in order to make that point Karoma..again, I didn't mention devaluation or them being travellers or any other minority..read the posts carefully.

Cole wrote: »
    I think this was directed towards my previous post..asking if you were a home owner?

Lets not turn this into the...'educated, broad-minded, liberal and therefore obviously correct' against the 'uneducated, narrow-minded, bigot' type of argument.
    Literary references don't make your opinion any stronger.

I didn't mention property being devalued and I didn't address their race or being a minority. In your desire to be politically correct, you can't see any contrary opinion as not being bigoted.

As for sorting myself out..you began your post by reference to literature and ended it with a dismissive, somewhat 'ignorant' comment.

He's doing arts.he is hardly educated!;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Dabko wrote: »
    I bought a house in a housing development on the outskirts of Galway city (headford road).

I'd say ignore them. They'll move on eventually, tis there nature, and you'll probably get yourself far more trouble trying to confront 'em then just crossing your fingers and waiting for them to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

It's the smell of them I'd be worried about. If they had a wash now and then, and they weren't a bunch of thieving scumbags, I probably wouldn't mind.

Sorry I've come across them a good few times over the years (and so have people I know) and they've all been as bad as each other. The OP has every right to annoyed IMO. Unfortunately I'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement