Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelers moved in...!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

You know you can't live on public land?
    Believe it or not you can.
    "There's growing public disquiet over a Travellers camp in Moycullen.
    Up to twelve families are believed to be living in 15 caravans on a public roadside since the first week in January.
    Galway county council director of services John Morgan says because the caravans are parked on public property, the council is powerless to remove them".

Full article link: http://www.galwaynews.ie/3435-public-angry-over-travellers-camp-moycullen
    Moving neighbours can be messy business alright ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Has anyone brought arabs into this yet?

ALLAH ACKBAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Believe it or not you can.
    "There's growing public disquiet over a Travellers camp in Moycullen.
    Up to twelve families are believed to be living in 15 caravans on a public roadside since the first week in January.
    Galway county council director of services John Morgan says because the caravans are parked on public property, the council is powerless to remove them".

Full article link: http://www.galwaynews.ie/3435-public-angry-over-travellers-camp-moycullen
    Moving neighbours can be messy business alright ;).
    They're across the road from me (about 3 miles from Moycullen) - I rent so my none 'home-owner' opinion probably isn't relevant.

Then howcome you can get an a court order to get them to move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Lol the Travellers be stealin our wireless!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Karoma wrote: »
    How do you envisage this going? You read the original post presumably; clearly the OP does have a problem with members of the travelling community.
    Me? I picture:
    OP Goes to the council: "I'm not a racist, but I have concerns about some ni...black people moving in..."

If they haven't caused any trouble, why make some? "because they always do"?
    OP: You, sir, are a bigot (or a member of the Thought Police, in which case I'll expect to see you as I turn away from the keyboard...)
    The Travellers have my sympathy, they deserve a better neighbour.

Karoma get a grip on yourself. PC gone mad
    Why is it nobody wants the travellling community near them?
    The answer is very simple...they leave the place destroyed with litter and rubbish. and before anyone says i should'nt be tarring every traveller with the same brush - they all do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

ciotog wrote: »
    They're across the road from me (about 3 miles from Moycullen) - I rent so my none 'home-owner' opinion probably isn't relevant.

Fair enough. The situation is obviously relevant to those renting property also, not intentionally excluding them. I own a house, but currently rent also.

From my point of view, the 'home owner' point was not made with regards to property devaluation, as seems to have been assumed by some.

It was intended to highlight the fact that..someone who is paying a mortgage/rent/council and bills, bin charges etc and are also maybe contributing an annual sum towards the maintenance of the estate, getting the grass cut on the greens and so on...should welcome with open arms an encampment of caravans (again, travellers or not).

How can a cul de sac in a housing estate be deemed an appropriate place to set up residence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I'd burn them out but then I'm a pacifist.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

How do you envisage this going? You read the original post presumably; clearly the OP does have a problem with members of the travelling community.
    Me? I picture:
    OP Goes to the council: "I'm not a racist, but I have concerns about some ni...black people moving in..."

If they haven't caused any trouble, why make some? "because they always do"?
    OP: You, sir, are a bigot (or a member of the Thought Police, in which case I'll expect to see you as I turn away from the keyboard...)
    The Travellers have my sympathy, they deserve a better neighbour.

In fairness, I'm as liberal as the next leftie but that's rediculous. Ok, the original OP's language was not exactly PC but to call him a racist/bigot is b0llocks. If someone moved a load of caravans into my estate, be they travellers or just the house next door getting caravan-happy, I'd be pissed off.

We all pay tax that has funded halting sites for the traveller community and in fairness they don't exactly try their hardest to communicate with the community they move into. I know this from my own experience. I went to school with some travellers who were the salt of the earth, sound guys but by and large my dealings with them have left a sour taste in the mouth. You try your best to be accomodating and they just throw it back in your face by trashing your town.

Until there is a concerted effort by a travelling community group to get their act together to stop littering and fouling everywhere they move into then I really can't blame people for having negative things to say about them. Its a sad situation but thats the reality as far as I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

The local authority is the way to go, I reckon, to start with anyway. If there is any trouble or any more move in, then the Gards. I think that there are laws about parking and living in caravans on public roads. Good luck, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I know a chap that will sort them out. Just send him a quick email at padraignally@gmail.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Controversial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Thats like saying that all Irish people get drunk and make trouble!

they dont!!

dont tar everyone with the same brush!!!!!

I worked in the GTM in headford road as a volunteer and yes the person that said about them being annoyed about being tarred with the same brush is right.

Not all of them are trouble makers etc!

If they havent caused trouble then why are you trying to make some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

hes not trying to extradite them from the country, they moved into the end of his feckin estate! I'm sure these people would be entirely happy if they moved outside their house...for **** sake from the responses here you'd swear the OP was talking about torching a halting site miles away.

I couldnt give a toss if they were black or white, rich or poor, if a load of people in caravans moved into the end of my estate I'd be incredibly pissed off. And lets not pretend that knackers isn't worse; most of them ruin their temporary settling places with rubbish, that's a fact. In fact, come to think of it, I've probably only ever seen one or two halting areas that weren't marked by rubbish and general decay and along a route a travel quite often I see a few, one of which has been any eyesore for about 10 years at this stage.

thats not being racist, it's called being a REALIST. Kitten, why don't you invite them all around to camp on your land, seeing as there's nothing wrong with it in your eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

All I'm saying is, give them a chance. If they turn out to be like you imagined, then so be it - report them to the authorities, just don't presume anything.

What is the point waiting until the break into your house before you do anything? Surely prevention is better than cursing yourself for not having taking action as soon as at entered your head that there might be a risk. So you may not be a home owner, but if you have ever had your house and car broken into (like I have) you would hear alarmbells ringing when something like this happens. I'm not saying this is the only situation that well set off the alarm bells but it sure is one of them.

Dont get me wrong, I'm all for giving people a chance and when I worked in retail I was surprised by the amount of really genuine honest travellers I had as customers. Many of these people changed my perception of travellers. In fact they changed my perception so much that I ended up being one of the suckers that got caught out by giving one of them a chance. It only takes one of the bunch to cause complete havock in a neighbourhood.

I dont know the exact statistics but a quick google will tell you that there is a disproportionate amount of crime in the travelling community. People evaluate their decisions and actions based on facts like these and past experience. It is not up to us to change everybodies opinions of travellers, it is up to travellers to prove that they are not criminals and they will not leave the place like a tip when they leave. Maybe if they do that then people wont have as much of an issue with them moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

You have a mobile hospital set up across the road?
    Crap, just hope for the best that they move on.
    Make the area undesirable for them, so they don't want to stay...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Nothing like a rabble with pitchforks to restore that equity in your house and get you out of negative equity...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

There's a halting site in Lower Salthill, one of the nicest and more expensive parts of Galway, just a few hundred metres from my house, and you'd hardly know they were there.

Now I know travellers can cause problems, but it is wrong to say that all travellers cause problems. I've experienced troublesome, nasty travellers and I've experienced decent, honest travellers. I could say the same about native Galwegians, crusties, Fianna Fail voters, Americans, Romanians, etc etc. The OP hasn't experienced any problems from these travellers, the only problem he has is that they're making him uncomfortable. They do deserve the benefit of the doubt. The whole "I'm afraid they'll de-value my property" argument is a red-herring unless you plan on selling up next week, they're not gonna be there forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Dabko wrote: »
    Asked for help and advice, not an answer from a member of the masses!

I've given you the best advice you're going to get on this thread mate, apologies if it came from a 'member of the masses', I didn't realise you specifically wanted help and advice from the aristocracy and not from the proletariat. You should have stated this.

You won't be able to do anything, you're just going to be banging your head against a wall if you try. Just live with it until they pick up and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Zzippy wrote: »
    Right, so if 50 caravans park in my estate, I should be neighbourly to them, as long as they don't break the law? Sorry, but they're not my fuckin neighbours!
    You don't have to be neighborly to them mate.

Sorry mate, but your just prejudging them purely as their travellers.

I strongly suggest that you cop yourself on and stop being so uptight.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Cop yourself on, its clear you're not a homeowner.

Oh no, I'm not a homeowner. Now I'll never be allowed in the country club:(

Cole wrote: »
    I think this was directed towards my previous post..asking if you were a home owner?
    Lets not turn this into the...'educated, broad-minded, liberal and therefore obviously correct' against the 'uneducated, narrow-minded, bigot' type of argument.
    Literary references don't make your opinion any stronger.
    If your turning a literary reference into an attempt to be educated and superior, then that's speaking volumes about your self esteem.
    I used a literary reference (of an extremely well known book on prejudice) simply to draw a parallel. I'm not educated, but
    if you're so insecure about yourself then I can imagine you'd turn it into that.
    I didn't mention property being devalued and I didn't address their race or being a minority. In your desire to be politically correct, you can't see any contrary opinion as not being bigoted.
    No, but the complaints about people living nearby being unfair on those who paid a mortgage does fit alongside.

YOur probably the first person on boards to call me PC. I normally get lambasted for being too insenstive.

Being PC is nothing to do with giving people the benifit of the doubt. Being bigoted however, is doing the opposite.
    As for sorting myself out..you began your post by reference to literature and ended it with a dismissive, somewhat 'ignorant' comment.
    Wow, that literary reference really seemed to get to you.

Nothing dismissive about it, nothing else to say to it except sort yourself out.
    ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Rather ironic to say the least.

How so? People are claiming all travellers are bad. I gave an example of the ones I know, all of whom are sound. Hence, not all travellers are bad.
    Nothing to do with me saying "All travellers are good".

Maybe go back over my post and read it properly?
    kthnxbai

July wrote: »
    I can't believe the amount of PC sh*te from people, nobody would want a shower of 'shkonks' to pull up alongside them.
    Ah yeah, PC. I don't think being a traveller means your automatically scum so I must be PC.
    The op said

How or who can get rid of them, move the bastards along? They havent caused bother yet, but they always do.
    Travelers dont. They operate and move above the law, and take/expect everything for sweet fuk all!:mad:
    Prejudice? Assumptions?
    Yes.
    He's doing arts.he is hardly educated!;):pac:
    Have you seen the requirements for arts or the standard of aspects of it?
    Hardly anything to do with education.

As for it being nothing to do with prejudice, again the poster said

How or who can get rid of them, move the bastards along? They havent caused bother yet, but they always do.
    Travelers dont. They operate and move above the law, and take/expect everything for sweet fuk all!:mad:
    Clearly the OP has clear views on what they will do purely as they are travellers.

Look folks, when I lived in England, (we rented, did not own) the automatic assumption was that "Oh no, Irish people, they'll be drinking and causing trouble until God knows when" A friend of mine was around 2 when himself and his mother were kicked off a bus in Birmingham as the driver didn;t want Irish people on it.

Yes there are travellers who cause trouble, if they do something wrong or park illegally then please go to the guards.

Inductive reasoning is an awful awful thing. I know a few sound travellers, hence they cannot all be bad. Equally, some of you have presumably met naughty travellers hence they're not all good.

This is really boiling down to prejudice.

• Advertisement

You don't have to be neighborly to them mate.

Sorry mate, but your just prejudging them purely as their travellers.

I strongly suggest that you cop yourself on and stop being so uptight.

But neither can you ex

Oh no, I'm not a homeowner. Now I'll never be allowed in the country club:(

Are you honestly suggesting that if several caravans of travelers parked outside your family home (as opposed to some rented place you couldn't care less about) - you'd be totally cool with it?

I've dealt with a lot of knackers were I used to work (in the health board, so literally 100's of them) - and I got nothing but grief from 90% of then, including being threatened on occasion. Sure there was the odd good one, but that doesn't negate the fact that a large percentage of them are trouble, nor should it. Also where I'm working part time now as a student, they are the ones that incite the most trouble. On the route to my grandmothers house, we used to pass several roadside sites, which were destroyed by rubbish and broken down cars, etc. It was an eyesore beyond belief that was only moved on after years. They moved in Oranmore a while back, taking up the entire public car park for their caravans and littering. I went to Limerick with my girlfriend to a hotel, only to discover it overlooked a halting site, which looked like downtown Baghdad.

You tell me, is a subsequently developed natural dislike/wariness of Travelers racism or just realism? I'll have you know I was always polite to them, and continue to be as I firmly believe that an individual deserves my respect until they refuse to give me the same in return, and even then, I often continue to extend it. I'm sorry if that's my personal experience, but you'll find others will tell you similar stories. Perhaps it's easy for you to cry out discrimination without having ever experienced what it's like to have to deal with them. And yeah, knowing a few in school is not remotely the same. We all have that, and they were fine.

People also seem to forget they're parked at the end of his friggin estate, NOT just in a local site that happens to be nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The irony is in the fact that you said in your post not to "tar all with the same brush", "innocent until proven guilty" blah blah, and yet that's exactly what your doing to anyone who has the surname Ward
    I know a few (even named Ward) and they are all sound people.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

To paraphrase:
    If 20 caravans park in front of your house it's racism, inequality and bigotry not to embrace diversity and fairness. It's a nessecity of social fairness.
    If 20 caravans park in front of my house the gardai, county council and hospital are kept on speed dial just in case.

People need to realise that whether you rent or own a property it has some intrinsic worth to you. No one is saying all travellers are bad people, simply that having that having that number of caravans outside your house is far from ideal. Their right to squat never transcends the owner's right to own his property in peace, irrespective of individual traveller's personalities etc.

Like other posters said there are camping sites designed to properly facilitate them: i.e ones with washing and toilet facilities (at no extra cost). Surely that suits all round. People buying/renting in the area at least no from square one what to expect if there is an organised site nearby.

Are you honestly suggesting that if several caravans of travelers parked outside your family home (as opposed to some rented place you couldn't care less about) - you'd be totally cool with it?
    No, I'd be extremely wary simply as I admit I have prejudice the same as everyone else. However, I'd be unable to bring myself to do anything unless they actually did something.
    The travellers are welcome to come live near me in Barna. Not much to do out here though. Second they do something wrong then I'd be among the first with a torch and pitchfork.

Oh yeah, my family doesn't own a family home. THey rent as they can't afford to buy one. Presumably this explains my relative sympathy to the travellers.
    I've dealt with a lot of knackers were I used to work (in the health board, so literally 100's of them) - and I got nothing but grief from 90% of then, including being threatened on occasion. Sure there was the odd good one, but that doesn't negate the fact that a large percentage of them are trouble, nor should it. Also where I'm working part time now as a student, they are the ones that incite the most trouble. On the route to my grandmothers house, we used to pass several roadside sites, which were destroyed by rubbish and broken down cars, etc. It was an eyesore beyond belief that was only moved on after years. They moved in Oranmore a while back, taking up the entire public car park for their caravans and littering. I went to Limerick with my girlfriend to a hotel, only to discover it overlooked a halting site, which looked like downtown Baghdad.
    Sorry to hear about the bad travellers, and while I'm unable to comment on the cases you mentioned, I don;t think anyone should be able to make any assumptions on an entire group of people, even if that majority are bad eggs.

You tell me, is a subsequently developed natural dislike/wariness of Travelers racism or just realism?
    Certainly not racism are the travellers aren't a race.
    Sure it might be understandable prejudice (I'm personally wary of most travellers I meet) but I'd be unable to bring myself to try and get them forced off land near me purely as there have been bad experience before.
    I'll have you know I was always polite to them, and continue to be as I firmly believe that an individual deserves my respect until they refuse to give me the same in return, and even then, I often continue to extend it.
    Good for you. Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic there.
    I'm sorry if that's my personal experience, but you'll find others will tell you similar stories. Perhaps it's easy for you to cry out discrimination without having ever experienced what it's like to have to deal with them.
    Depends what you mean by deal with them.
    And yeah, knowing a few in school is not remotely the same. We all have that, and they were fine.
    Not from school, there's a fair few in my boxing club. They are sound, the OP was tarring all with the same brush. Hence, not all of them are bad eggs.

The irony is in the fact that you said in your post not to "tar all with the same brush", "innocent until proven guilty" blah blah, and yet that's exactly what your doing to anyone who has the surname Ward

Please, PLEASE read my post.

I know a few and they are all sound people.

As in, the people I referred to are all sound people?

Seriously, mate, read it properly.

Dear God, it's hardly rocket science.

Let me brake it down for you nice and easy.

The OP claims
    They havent caused bother yet, but they always do.
    I said Travellers cannot all be tarred with the same brush.
    I gave an example of some travellers I know who are nice enough people, hence cannot be tarred with the same brush as the OP.
    You claim it's irony.

How?
    Explain please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I'll have you know I was always polite to them, and continue to be as I firmly believe that an individual deserves my respect until they refuse to give me the same in return, and even then, I often continue to extend it.

Good point.

I think this goes to the heart of this 'not in my back garden' debate. As with everything in life there will always be people who tend to tar one class of people with the same brush. However in this instance I do not think this is the case. A large amount of us have had personal dealings with travellers and speaking from personal experience they have been almost all bad. That's not to say there aren't good travellers, there probably are, but personal experience, experience of friends and family and indeed some empirical evidence would suggest that travellers tend towards anti social behaviour, littering et cetera. Compounding this argument is the extremely valid concern of homeowners. Why should they have to slog their guts out in order to service a mortgage so they can own their own homes, pay bills etc etc when these travellers who have absolutely no right or connection to the community land on their door step and by and large serve a detrimental purpose.

It seems that the people that are coming down in favour of the travellers need to have them live on their door step for a few weeks. It's all well and good to watch a TV programme or read a newspaper article about travellers who are integrating and getting an education and think gee aren't they great. However it is a different matter entirely to have a family of them camped illegally in your estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

How?
    Explain please.

This:
    (even named Ward)

Even named Ward. You're saying that someone with the surname Ward, who is not a nasty traveller, is the exception. Hence the irony.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Forgive me for saying, but I was under the impression that members of the travellering community are not recognised as an ethnic group, although they are in the UK. This been the case, would it be right to say that you can't be classed as racist for taking a dislike to them?

My own opinion is the OP has the right to kick off when such people move in on your doorstep, even if they are the nicest, cleanest travellers in the world. You work hard enough to pay for your house without having the stress of knowing that members of a community with acknowledged and recognised antisocial behaviour are on your doorstep.

delly wrote: »
    You work hard enough to pay for your house without having the stress of knowing that members of a community with acknowledged and recognised antisocial behaviour are on your doorstep.

Ahem...that's actually a pretty good synopsis on the argument thus far! :o

• Advertisement

This:

Even named Ward. You're saying that someone with the surname Ward, who is not a nasty traveller, is the exception. Hence the irony.

Actually I was being sarcastic.

Everytime I hear about the travellers here it's always people saying "he's a Ward too you know" etc etc.

My point about them even being called Ward is that despite the fact so many people think of them as scum, I know a few named Ward who are perfectly decent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement