Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert with 'D.C.G'

Options
  • 15-05-2008 5:34pm

Hi to whoever reads this thread.
    I'm a 6th year student who has to repeat my leaving cert next year as i was absent for alot of this year due to medical issues. I only have 6 honours subjects, not including irish which is oridinary level, and i need points in excess of 570, so all 6 honours subjects are vital.

A new technical graphics course (design and communication technology) has been introduced as im sure youre aware, the problem is that technical graphics is one of my honours subjects, and when i repeat it will be a new course. So my question is: Is the new course completely different from the last, and could i adapt to the new syllabus, or was 5th year a vital part of the new course.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi to whoever reads this thread.
    I'm a 6th year student who has to repeat my leaving cert next year as i was absent for alot of this year due to medical issues. I only have 6 honours subjects, not including irish which is oridinary level, and i need points in excess of 570, so all 6 honours subjects are vital.

A new technical graphics course (design and communication technology) has been introduced as im sure youre aware, the problem is that technical graphics is one of my honours subjects, and when i repeat it will be a new course. So my question is: Is the new course completely different from the last, and could i adapt to the new syllabus, or was 5th year a vital part of the new course.

Thank you.

Your best bet would be to ask your tech graphics teacher what he thinks. From what I know of the new course it incorporates computer aided design, so I suppose it depends on what way your teacher is teaching the course.

That said, if it isn't possible to repeat tech graph, you could take up another subject in its place.

Thanks for your reply rainbowtrout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya just take up a easy subject thats possible to do well in after one year.
    Id recommend Business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 flint_72

S***,sorry to here that dude.Well while I cant help on the Tech G. front,what subjetcs do you do? There may be an easy subject that you can take up; eg. if you do Maths and Physics take up Applied Maths? It'd be an easy A for you. Also Classical Studies and Agg. Science are supposed to be quite easy As.Accounting is an easy A and a short course.Also,if you did Tech G,Engerining or Construction may be good bets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Diesel3545

If you were doing well with TD you'll have no problem with DCG. There's one 3 hour exam (60%) and a student assignment (40%). The assignment will issue from SEC in late Sept for completion in late Jan 09 and will consist of both freehand, manual and CAD drawings to a max of 14 A3's at higher level. The final exam will cover all the core geometry areas you're already familar with and will have 5 option questions to do 2. The 5 options cover both the existing paper 2a and 2b so you should be able to pick 2 you like. Your school should have the SolidWorks CAD software set up and you are entitled to a copy of the student edition for home use - though the assignment must be completed entirely inschool.
    Take a look at the technology subjects support service website www.t4.ie for more info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

"Accounting is an easy A and a short course"

Not it is most certainly not, not anymore anyway! You wont master Accounting in a year!!

Business is the only one that I have heard people do well in. That and/or Ag Science.

Thanks very much for all your comments.

Flint_72, Yes i do physics but unfortunately my school doesn't offer applied maths, i've asked! And I was thinking about ag science, I suppose its probably the easiest alternative!

And Diesel3545, I was also thinking that, although its a different course, what I know already can surely help me through it, and doing that course has to be easier than taking up an entirely new subject!

And to 1huge1 and Nerd3000, would Ag Science or Business be the easiest subjects to pick up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Hi Jammydodger (cool name by the way).
    I'd say you should be ok for the new DCG course as my teacher said that a lot of the questions on the new paper are just simplified versions of the ones we're used to from the old course. Of course they would'nt be too simplified, but judging by the fact that they have condensed a 6 hour exam into a 3 hour one it could'nt be a whole pile harder. If you're good at sketching and handy with a PC you should be alright for that side of the course. My teacher said near the end of the school year that if any of us have to repeat we should get our hands on a copy of solidworks, and get to grips with it during the summer in order that we could use it by september. Then the 5th years couldn't have too much more done than you for the exam. It could mean a lot of work on your behalf, but if it gets you your 570 points it would be worth it, wouldn't it?

As regards Ag Science, I know a lot of people that took it up in October of 6th year and they all seem to have got on very well with it. They did with a grinds teacher for one hour a week, and still managed to get the whole course done in good time. Again, this could be more work for you, but think of the results!

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ag Science isn't what i would call an easy A. I teach Ag Science. People do well in it, but you will have to work at it, if you have biology it would be an advantage. There is also a project worth 25% which has to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

pjtb wrote: »
    My teacher said near the end of the school year that if any of us have to repeat we should get our hands on a copy of solidworks, and get to grips with it during the summer in order that we could use it by september.
    What's this? new book?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Solid Works is the CAD program that's being used for the new DCG course. There's a student version of it that's free, as far as I know. They had it free in my school anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

technical graphics is one of my honours subjects, and when i repeat it will be a new course. So my question is: Is the new course completely different from the last, and could i adapt to the new syllabus, or was 5th year a vital part of the new course.

Thank you.

Get a copy of the Solidworks 2006 disk off one of last years 5th Years and start using it NOW. you can download the 2008 version but it's not been used in the schools so stick with the 2006 version.
    Theres tonnes of instruction notes available online and in the softwares help files. If you are clued into it by September you will have no problems with the new course. (if you were doing honours this year and have an aptitude for the subject.) Also practice sketching, as these are the two new elements to the course that will help you get a high garde in the project.
    The project will start the last week in September and has to be completed by the end of January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

I'd heard it said about the business being an easy A so decided to take it up last year. It was painful to study and I wound up with a D3 so bear that in mind if that sort of thing isn't your thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

I'm a fifth year despearately looking for DCG grinds. Anyone available please e-mail me...
    andy_cannonball@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I'm a fifth year despearately looking for DCG grinds. Anyone available please e-mail me...

You shouldnt need grinds so early on in 5th year, if your desperately in need already, maybe you should consider another subject

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

it will be a hell of a lot of work. the project wud be do able but dont see you covering the topics in the paper..... thats coming from a teacher and has been at all the in services.

Thanks for all your comments, they've been very helpful.

@kollegeknight

Last June I got an A1 in the old technical graphics exam. And from what I know many of the topics are similar to what I would have done in 5th and 6th year in the old course, are they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

you should have no problem getting grinds from the student DCG teachers in UL....Head straight for the thomond building with a few posters !

OP
    I'd say go for DCG it being the first year the paper will have to be fairly straightfoward and like the sample paper thats coming out in a few days...as for the solidworks get yourself the student copy ASAP....do the online tutorials on it and youll be up yo speed in no time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Also, please don't bump old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement