Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drawing dole while writing up thesis: possible?

Options
  • 15-05-2008 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey,

Just looking for a bit of advice on this issue. I'm just coming to the end of the normal part (i.e. lectures + exams) of a taught masters ( for which I qualified for the mature student grant).

During the coming summer I will have to write up the associated thesis, and I had heard rumours of the possibility of qualifying for the dole whilst doing this.

Anyone here have any insight or experience of this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

grumps wrote: »
    Hey,

Just looking for a bit of advice on this issue. I'm just coming to the end of the normal part (i.e. lectures + exams) of a taught masters ( for which I qualified for the mature student grant).

During the coming summer I will have to write up the associated thesis, and I had heard rumours of the possibility of qualifying for the dole whilst doing this.

Anyone here have any insight or experience of this?

Thanks

Hey,

I did a taught masters last year. I was lucky enoughy to live off mummy and daddy for the year :)

</snip>

Apart from the dole, you should keep in mind that all colleges have a Student Assistance Fund which can be given to any student in times of hardship (as long as there's money left). It's not a loan or anything and although it isn't bottomless it could still be something to keep in mind. You should apply to your local Students' Union or Students' Services Department or Chaplaincy or Tutor/Mentor, depending where you are. Most will have information on it at least!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Mod Note: You can only draw the dole if you fulfill all conditions of it - that is, being willing and available for work and actively looking for a job. Unless people keep talk legal I will lock any thread involving drawing the dole. It is a very serious matter if someone draws dole for whatever reason and is not eligible for it and the law does not look kindly upon those who do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tones66

snip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Tones66 wrote: »
    snip

its people like this that have us in the economic state we are in. I will happily report anyone i know that is scrounging off the state (when not entitled to it)

On topic - i dont think you qualify for JA as you are a student, but you might qualify for JB if you had been working in 2007 ( the relevant tax year)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm not trying to be a party-pooper, I'm keeping boards.ie litigation-free. Everyone should definitely take the maximum benefits to which they're legally entitled, but no more.

Enjoy your ban for 1 week for arguing with a mod on-topic and having not taken it to PM or feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

as far as i know you are definitly entitled to the dole while doing a thesis, several of my friends are currently doing their thesis and are currently drawing the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

You can get it, as long as you have a letter from the college stating that your finished college. I got a letter off my lecturer and the examinations office saying that i finished all classes and exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 marshall11

Can part time/night students claim dole? I lost my full time job and am seeking employment but cant find a job. Still living at home but need to pay the fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

You can claim the dole while doing your thesis and are entitled to do so if you meet the criteria. You must be finished your exams, must be available for work and have no alternative means of support. Many students doing their thesis in the past worked full/part time to support themselves but now the jobs are just not there. Without a job and with the maintainence grant only provided for the academic year (Oct - May) those individuals who are not lucky enough to have parents to support them or independent means of support of course are just as entitled to apply for the dole as anyone else. Your claim will be assessed and if u meet the criteria and have the documentation you will receive state assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

marshall11 wrote: »
    Can part time/night students claim dole? I lost my full time job and am seeking employment but cant find a job. Still living at home but need to pay the fees?
    To be honest lad your best bet is to go into welfare yourself and explain your situation. You will here alot of conflicting stories here

Advertisement