Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomend A Place To Live

Options
  • 15-05-2008 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

hi neighbours (soon to be),

OK so here is the deal, i have just been offered a 12 month contract with BMS on the cruiserath rd, mulhuddert.

the start date is 9th june but i can't leave my present role until 30th may so i have precious little time to familerise myself with D15.

i am not from Dublin at all, i'm from Cork and don't know anything about D15 or it's environs.

my question is can you recommend a decent place to live (it will be house share too pricey any other way)....i have looked on daft and would really like to know where i should be looking.

i know tyrellstown is closeby.............what's it like there?

how about Blanchardstown itself or clonsilla, ongar etc...

i'd even consider kildare/meath but will struggle big time to find my way round by car.

i suppose ideally i'd like somewhere that is close to work and a nice area.

thanks for reading and thanks for any recommendations..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tyrellstown is quiet, Lidl, Superquinn and a pub there, the hotel across the road... You could walk to work easily and if ya don't want to walk, there's two bus services that pass on the cruiserath road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

what do you want and how will you commute?

I live in Waterville and work in city centre (and that's where I go out)
    but I wouldn't live in city centre... you need to do the same in reverse! is it only public transport you have at your disposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Hi all,

Re: transport i have a car so that wouldn't be an issue, finding my way around however would be but will get to know the place eventually.

i don't want to live in the city centre at all, somewhere in D15 is fine.

i've also read about castleknock and carpenterstown - how about these areas?

thanks for any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

As Adrieanne said, Tyrrelstown is literally just across the road from it, it's fairly quiet and a nice enough spot with plenty of rental property available to you. Another consideration for you if you're thinking about living in Carpenterstown or Castleknock is the commute time at rush hour, traffic is very bad around the Corporate Park near BMS in the evenings, for example a 10 minute drive from BMS to Carpenterstown would take over a half hour in slow moving packer traffic.

Hi Jip,

I will be working shift so the hours are designed to try to avoid the rush hour traffic but it sounds like tyrrelstown is a good starting point alright.

but i've read that the bus service in and out of town there isn't the best but that might not be such an important issue really.

do you think it's possible to cycle from castleknock/carpenters town to bms? weather dependent of course...:o

thanks again for all the info everyone, very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Hi there, I live in Carpenterstown and its a pretty straightforward cycle - one bad part is across the bridge (diswellstown road) which is pretty cold on a wet windy day, but I guess you'd have a car for those days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Depends on where Castlekock/Carpenterston you're talking about as they go right back and have more or less merged with each other but it's a straight enough bike ride and I think there's a cycle path alot of the way anyway from the side nearest to the corporate park. Bus service isn't too bad out of Tyrrelstown, it's served by the 40D which is regular enough and the 38C which is not so regular but both go to town anyway. 40D can get you into the city centre in about 30-40 minutes I reckon outside of rushhour so it's no different than most other places in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 PaintingMedium

Okay, I will try and answer the OP question about where in D15 to live in.

I will go through some of the areas that I know anyway.

1)-Ongar
    This is a new enough area, around 3000-4000 there, new schools are being built too, small village with dunnes, off licence and newsagents, few other shops like butchers, coffee shop etc. No pub though. Huge amount of non nationals here. Quiet enough place to live in. Since you have a car, it would be no problem to get to work. Located just beside Clonee too. Nice place to live for 12 months anyway. Few different estates, do not live in the village though, go for the surrounding estates.

2)-Blanchardstown village and surrounding area
    This is pretty old area of D15, lots of shops and banks located here. Is not really a village anymore, more like one long commercial street. Pubs are here though (avoid the Greyhound like the plague!). Existing housing estates have been here for decades so might be hard to find a place.

3)Roselawn and surrounding area
    this is another established area with few new developments. Quiet enough area, school, small shopping centre with Tesco and pub etc. Again, might be hard to find a place here.

4)Carpenterstown
    Similar to Roselawn area except a lot newer, has sprawled a hell of a lot so you could find a house located far away from shops. Small shopping centre with pub and a tiny spar. Bit of a wannabe scummy area though for some bizarre reason. Nice houses but scummy people?

5)Tyrellstown
    This is a good place. Nice spacious village, restaurants and shops, Lidl and Superquinn, pub. Plenty of foreign people here. I like this place. Located quite close to where you would be working.

6) Mulhuddart
    Eh, well, one to avoid. Some really bad areas here, new developments have been built, have met many people who live there but encounter huge problems with car windows smashed on a weekly basis etc

7) Castleknock Village and surroudings
    Yeah, well if you are loaded, lots of money to splash, this would be a great place, near to the Phoenix Park and pubs, restaurants, proper village feel. Bad points would be traffic at times and cost, huge money!

8)Hartstown
    Many parts are nice, a bit too big of a housing area though, nothing but houses, some parts are horrible, used to be a lot worse but has gotten better, if you are only living here for 12 months, I would not recommend it!

9) Clonsilla Village and surrounding
    Horrible village which has been destroyed by terrible planning from local councillors and politicians who did not give a f**k about it! Really awful planning. Not a bad area because of people just the planning is awful. Only a handful of shops and a pub. Good few new estates which are okay and nothing bad to say about.

You will find many of the new estates have plenty of for sale/rent opportunites as many Irish people invested thinking they would make plenty of money but there are now too many houses so tons of for sale/rent. I would say, come up a few times and have a good look about, 12 months is long enough for you to care about where you live.

I would advise Ongar/Tyrellstown or maybe an apartment near the Blanch Centre, cannot remember what they are called. Really, just come up and have a bit of a tour around before you decide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 plasterboard

Tyrrelstown is very handy for BMS, not a big walk. It's the nearest place to BMS, and there should be a good selection of rental accommodation (it's very new). 40D bus to city centre goes along the road BMS is on, so you wouldn't have to go home first if you wanted a night out in town. There are quite a few agents letting out properties in Tyrrelstown - here's a link to a couple:
    http://www.fisherproperty.ie/tyrrelstownlettings.htm and http://www.wilsonmoore.ie/opencontent/default.asp?itemId=26

PaintingMedium,

Many thanks for your excellent and helpful post, yes i will travel up and check things out, although i will have just one week to do so but as of now tyrellstown is the goal, makes sense as i could walk/cycle to work from there.

Plasterboard,
    thank you for posting the links, very helpful although so far i have been mainly using daft, it seems there's no shortage of places to rent in D15 but i'll be house sharing at least intially.

thanks again for all the info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 PaintingMedium

You are welcome! You should find someone who knows the area and can bring you about and show you the different estates.

I think most posters here and I would say Tyrellstown! Plently of house sharing opportunites there. Nothing will be as nice as Cork ;) But it is only a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

My vote would be Tyrrelstown also. It has most conveniences that you would need and it is close to where you will be working.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Something you might want to consider is parking, depending on how much you value your car. Many of the newer developments are townhouses that don't have a driveway, with communal parking instead. Personally I wouldn't like not to have the car parked in the driveway, especially when clearly many others wouldn't care about bashing your car going on some of the heaps I see been driven. However it may not be an issue for you. Just something to consider anyway.

If I were on a temporary contract like that, I'd want to be near enough for convenience. Carpenterstown wouldn't be ideal from that point of view as the traffic in the morning could result in a long enough trip for a relatively short distance. I'd go with Blanchardstown village, Tyrrelstown, Clonee/Ongar or Roselawn districts, and I'd avoid Mulhuddart/Castlecurragh, Blakestown, Sheepmoor areas personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

If you're coming up, stay a night in a hotel and then drive around a bit, just to get a feel for certain areas. There's one in Tryellstown, and one on the Navan Road roundabout at Auburn Road. Get a map to give you an idea of the main roads. Or googlemap places you see in daft to get an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

I'd also say Tyrrelstown based on getting to work and also having a calm, safe and enthusiastic neighbourhood to live in.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

Is Tyrrelstown any way handy for ITB? Just wondering but I'll be uo that way tomorrow so prob find out.

Advertisement