Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daddys girl taking over

• 15-05-2008 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

The breakfast show on 2fm with Colm and Jim jim is a half decent listen in the morning but lately it seems that the boss' little girl Lindy is taking over. You can hear the frustration in their voices sometimes but you can bet nothing will be said. She's has a job for life, daddy will see to that.
    And while i'm on this subject, sportsguy Damien o'mara you're not funny so stop trying to be. Stop using words like 'lamp' and 'jocks' while trying to get a laugh. Do the sport then go away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Who is daddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Mr Lahey

Daddy is John clarke, head of 2fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

The show is useless anyway, terrible jingles that go on for ever and really poor bought in "yellow pack "american Comsdy snippets that are not in the least amusing..and really stupid phone in games...axe this show NOW....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Mr Lahey wrote: »
    Daddy is John clarke, head of 2fm.
    Nepotism in RTE?!? Surely not!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nepotism in RTE?!? Surely not!!!!!!!!

Lol just beat me to it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

And while i'm on this subject, sportsguy Damien o'mara you're not funny so stop trying to be. Stop using words like 'lamp' and 'jocks' while trying to get a laugh. Do the sport then go away.

Will you shuuuuuuuuuuuuut up. :rolleyes:

It's nice to have a sports reader who can bring something to a show and the lads look at it as a team effort, JC's daughter included.

Go get yourself a gig, you'll get some of that chip off your shoulder then.

Big Balls wrote: »
    Will you shuuuuuuuuuuuuut up. :rolleyes:

It's nice to have a sports reader who can bring something to a show and the lads look at it as a team effort, JC's daughter included.

Go get yourself a gig, you'll get some of that chip off your shoulder then.

Touchy! Are you related to him or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

The breakfast show on 2fm with Colm and Jim jim is a half decent listen in the morning but lately it seems that the boss' little girl Lindy is taking over. You can hear the frustration in their voices sometimes but you can bet nothing will be said. She's has a job for life, daddy will see to that.

that explains a lot, cant stand her, nearly as annoying as Jenny Kelly but not quite yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RobertaHQ

I'm not too fond of the boys on 2fm, however I had wondered about Lindy. It makes sense now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 whoareyouanyway

I like the two lads its stupid dozy radio but its good stupid dozy radio on a side note the PJ Gallaher calls are terrible how is adding an N into every word supposed to be funny?

• Advertisement

Touchy! Are you related to him or something?

No I just like defending colleagues when faceless muppets get access to a router and an ill informed opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

So, does everyone who wishes to express an opinion different to yours have to shuuuuuuuuuuuuut up, or do they just have to shuuuuuuuuuuuuut up when they express an opinion about being unimpressed with your colleagues and (what they consider to be) their occasionally lame antics?

No I just like defending colleagues when faceless muppets get access to a router and an ill informed opinion.
    Outside of RTE, they are called customers.

Sincere apologies for not noticing her family connections brilliance beforehand.

I'm sure we have a future host of the Late-Late in the making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hang on.

username big balls.

works in rte.

"shuuuuuut up."

I have a theory. You wanna hear more? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

tbh wrote: »
    hang on.

username big balls.

works in rte.

"shuuuuuut up."

Oh Dear God! TV, radio and now Boards? Is nothing sacred?

Colleague-related, sure isn't it all the same in rte.;)

Oh and by the way i dont use a router, just a plain old modem.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

This is a warning for everyone on this thread. Please at least try and be civil to each other. The rule is attack the post, not the poster.

Anymore of this sniping and there will be infractions doled out.

I think the heat has you all riled up more than usual.

Just reading through all of big balls previous posts defending other radio colleagues. Hmmmm i wonder who it could be!

Just reading through all of big balls previous posts defending other radio colleagues. Hmmmm i wonder who it could be!
    Substitute 'wonder' for 'care' and I'm right behind ya brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

tbh wrote: »
    hang on.

username big balls.

works in rte.

"shuuuuuut up."

Your so called theory is wrong. Big Balls does not work in RTE... he is a very experienced individual in the world of radio and his opinion counts in my book even if you don't agree with it.

Just to add my couple of cents.... She's not national radio material but havin said that its always good to have a weak link in the chain. Someone like Lucy Kennedy would fit in great on that show.

BTW.....Damo is a legend!!!! beats that muppet on ~Yesterday Fm any morning...:cool:
    AXE it now WTF is that all about????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

After reading through the radio boards for a while and this thread illustrates it perfectly the little radio club we have in Ireland. Its kind of hard to take anyones opinion seriousely because of different agendas a lot of people seem to have here. How many radio presenters post here its like a little mafia with some of the sniping and the kind of superior attitude some people seem to have. Haven't heard your one much tbh so don't really have an opinion on whether this is blatent nepotism or if she's got talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

bbability wrote: »
    Your so called theory is wrong. Big Balls does not work in RTE... he is a very experienced individual in the world of radio and his opinion counts in my book even if you don't agree with it.

Eh? Then who was it in RTE messing about with the Optimods live on air????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

I like that show except for when she interrupts all the time.
    I had no idea that she was the bosses daughter though.
    And yeah you can hear the frustration in their voices. I always wondered why they said nothing but now I know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Maybe they shpuld play that T.R Dallas song some morning.Beats me how they are on national radio anyway...ooops i just posted an opinion:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Radio|Man

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Eh? Then who was it in RTE messing about with the Optimods live on air????:confused:

Eh...that wud be me- but I ain't bigballs !

And to digress and besides, nothing was "messed with live on air" ! A standby processor was over plugged and any "messing" was then taken care of 'off air'.

What concerns me, is whom you might be to know such info, and why the hell would you be so bothered as to respond to a post such as this !? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Radio|Man wrote: »
    Eh...that wud be me- but I ain't bigballs !

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Getting you confused with someone else.:confused:

calm down, I was clearly joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Just to add my couple of cents.... She's not national radio material but havin said that its always good to have a weak link in the chain. Someone like Lucy Kennedy would fit in great on that show.

BTW.....Damo is a legend!!!! beats that muppet on ~Yesterday Fm any morning...:cool:
    AXE it now WTF is that all about????

Fair enough, experienced in radio is one thing, knowing fcuk all about music is another, which a lot of DJ's seem not to. I even heard one of the girls on Phantom the other day dismiss Carter USM as she'd never heard of them!! WTF?!! Just a pet hate of mine. Music DJ's should know about music and sports readers should know about sports, a lot them clearly don't. So I can sympathise with the OP's post and possible case of someone clearly not able for radio getting a job because of her Dad.

Predhead wrote: »
    Fair enough, experienced in radio is one thing, knowing fcuk all about music is another, which a lot of DJ's seem not to. I even heard one of the girls on Phantom the other day dismiss Carter USM as she'd never heard of them!! WTF?!! Just a pet hate of mine. Music DJ's should know about music and sports readers should know about sports, a lot them clearly don't. So I can sympathise with the OP's post and possible case of someone clearly not able for radio getting a job because of her Dad.

So just to use your example Pred - attack the overall breakfast show then? Don't take out a personal attack on a guy who reads sport on a breakfast show for roughly 4 mins out of 2 hours. I'm not sure if your post is directed at me or just in general but my music knowledge is far from "f**k all" - I earn a living from it thanks.

To me, the OP has something personal to grind against Damien O'Meara and JC's daughter. So which is it?

Radio is an industry and relatively speaking, anyone who works in it is a colleague, I don't work in RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

Nah its not that Mr Big Balls, it is most definetly the sour grapes shower. The "I didnt get the gig cause the daughter of the PD got the job". Majority of the time these people havent ever received sincere criticism themselves (usually because their mates arent PDs) and go around thinking they know something about radio because the spent 2/3 years in ballyfermot college and worked on community radio for 3 weeks. But usually dont actually get to work in the industry.

Thing is there are people on this board that do actually work in radio. And then there are those that do not. Most of the time its quite obvious who's who by the respect that people show in their postings.

To be honest its tough these days to find a positive thread in this part of the forum. Oh and by the way I hate this "so I cant have an opinion that differs from yours" attitude! Go get a job in radio first.

Just look at the latest thread titles:

Chris Moyles makes me angry,
    Louise Hegarty on 98fm(The content is usual expected stuff),
    Ray Darcy Lost the plot,
    arrrg Newstalk,
    RTE should axe Feargal Keane,
    that Jerk Duffy.

oh and yes, anyone notice the title of this thread! class stuff indeed)

Slicklink wrote: »
    Nah its not that Mr Big Balls, it is most definetly the sour grapes shower. The "I didnt get the gig cause the daughter of the PD got the job". Majority of the time these people havent ever received sincere criticism themselves (usually because their mates arent PDs) and go around thinking they know something about radio because the spent 2/3 years in ballyfermot college and worked on community radio for 3 weeks. But usually dont actually get to work in the industry.

Thing is there are people on this board that do actually work in radio. And then there are those that do not. Most of the time its quite obvious who's who by the respect that people show in their postings.

To be honest its tough these days to find a positive thread in this part of the forum. Oh and by the way I hate this "so I cant have an opinion that differs from yours" attitude! Go get a job in radio first.

Ray Darcy Lost the plot,
    arrrg Newstalk,
    that Jerk Duffy.

Yep, a lot of sense there in your post.

Sure last week a guy was attacked for playing a theme song on air for 20 seconds.

Everyone is a jock. :D

Slicklink wrote: »

Ray Darcy Lost the plot,
    arrrg Newstalk,
    that Jerk Duffy.

well mate, I'm guessing you work in radio. Listen, you're not going to please all the people all the time. People who read these boards are entitled to their opinion. Personally, I could care less that x is actually technically a very gifted jock or that y has spent 30 years at the coalface - people are entitled to their opinions, and everyones opinion has the same value. If you don't like it, don't read this forum. If you want to see positive threads, start positive threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Whether we are in the industry or not is irrelevant. Being ripped off for 160 euros every year entitles us to our opinions on what is a p1ss poor service and an organisation still unable to halt its nepotistic tendencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

Right , a certain reality needs to be addressed here.

People who come on the radio section of any boards usually have a particular interest in it.

The above pretty much translates into , they want a job on radio.

Thus , they think they could do a better job than anyone currently on the radio.

They cant

Thats why they dont have a job

radio is not that bad

most of these complaints are beyond ridiciulous , and smack of some individual sitting beside his radio bitterly ranting about how he could do a better job

So just to use your example Pred - attack the overall breakfast show then? Don't take out a personal attack on a guy who reads sport on a breakfast show for roughly 4 mins out of 2 hours. I'm not sure if your post is directed at me or just in general but my music knowledge is far from "f**k all" - I earn a living from it thanks.

To me, the OP has something personal to grind against Damien O'Meara and JC's daughter. So which is it?

Radio is an industry and relatively speaking, anyone who works in it is a colleague, I don't work in RTE.

I'm not talking about this case specifically or indeed breakfast shows. But breakfast shows are supposed to be funny imo, but they're lame. Shows that are about music have people hosting them that none little about it (not all shows on all stations) and again you have people as I said, reading the sports news that can't pronounce a name/team and it's obvious they've no interest in it and are just reading from a page, even the slightest bit of insight would be good ya know...I'm not attacking you personally it's just a gripe of mine I have with aspects of the industry in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Originally Posted by Slicklink View Post

Ray Darcy Lost the plot,
    arrrg Newstalk,
    that Jerk Duffy.

You mention my thread "Chris Moyles Makes Me Angry" go over there and read it you will see how my "opininon" has changed instead of making sweeping statements.

People who come on the radio section of any boards usually have a particular interest in it.

Thus , they think they could do a better job than anyone currently on the radio.

oh for gods sake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

RTE in nepotism shocker

They cant

radio is not that bad

most of these complaints are beyond ridiciulous , and smack of some individual sitting beside his radio bitterly ranting about how he could do a better job
    People are allowed express their opinions and as member of the paying public for Irish radio stations their opinions are more than valid.

Sorry pal, you don't pay for Irish radio stations.

You pay a licence fee to RTÉ only and to the best of my knowledge, 2FM don't get the money from it anyway.

• Advertisement

we still pay for them. If we don't listen, no advertisers, therefore no job. simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You pay a licence fee to RTÉ only and to the best of my knowledge, 2FM don't get the money from it anyway.
    Ehhh, the 2fm that is part of RTE, who get the biggest chunk of licence pie, uses the same resources which we pay for. Sounds like your comment is mere nonsense, just like some one else's about this being a radio industry/job forum.

Besides the opinion of any potential customer of any radio station counts. It's basic marketing/customer service theory.

Sorry but do have any clue whatsoever, 2FM , RTE Radio 1, RTE lyric all are owned by RTE.

Who pays for RTE , the public do!!!

Our License fee pays for that, the license fee is what funds RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I've seen this mentioned so many times, so can we have it cleared it up once and for all ?

Assuming for a second that the standard stuff (wages, etc) are all covered by advertising, how much does RTE 2FM pay for the following:

1. Studio rent & equipment costs in Dublin 4, Limerick, Cork & wherever else they might be
    2. Transmission costs
    3. News service
    4. Cross-pollination & plugs (Gerry Ryan getting repeated TV shows despite them being crap; Pat Kenny promoting his radio show on TLLS, for example)
    5. Actual advertising of radio programmes
    Even 6. Announcements of transmission outages, etc

If any of those are subsidised, reduced-rate, or free, then us non-listeners to RTE 2FM are paying for at least some of it via our licence fee.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I've seen this mentioned so many times, so can we have it cleared it up once and for all ?

Assuming for a second that the standard stuff (wages, etc) are all covered by advertising, how much does RTE 2FM pay for the following:

1. Studio rent & equipment costs in Dublin 4, Limerick, Cork & wherever else they might be
    2. Transmission costs
    3. News service
    4. Cross-pollination & plugs (Gerry Ryan getting repeated TV shows despite them being crap; Pat Kenny promoting his radio show on TLLS, for example)
    5. Actual advertising of radio programmes
    Even 6. Announcements of transmission outages, etc

If any of those are subsidised, reduced-rate, or free, then us non-listeners to RTE 2FM are paying for at least some of it via our licence fee.
    He clearly hasnt a clue of what is going to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pirate reject

Looks like this thread is deteriorating fast.

But just before it sinks completely a few points.

Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion. Previous statements that suggest that if you are not part of the industry you are not entitled to have an opinion are ridiculous and part of the problem that has dogged radio for years. The notion that the industry knows best what the punter wants is so completely wrong that it defies belief. THE INDUSTRY IS THERE TO SERVE THE PUBLIC. The public is not there simply to provide 'fans' for those who have been lucky enough to break into the industry. When the industry stops listening to the voices and opinions of its listeners then it fails those very listeners it is supposed to serve. Why else has pirate radio thrived so much despite so many attempts to surpress it. Simply because it serves those who are not served by the industry who doesn't listen.

Yes there are those within the industry who believe the hype about themselves and fall foul of the 'god syndrome'. Ego to a degree an essential part of a radio jock's presentation. There is a need to show off and act larger than life, and in order to achieve that aura you sometimes almost need a split personality. Unfortunatley some people forget to leave their radio ego at the door when they leave the station. For others it gets so big it takes them over and they are nothing but ego. When this happens radio suffers because they can no longer see what is genuinely good radio and what is simply feeding their ever growing head. I have no problem taking these people down a peg or two. I was fortunate enough to work on a few of Dublin's biggest pirate stations during the 90s and worked with a lot of the jocks who are now 'main stream'. Most of those guys are the nicest people you could meet, but some once they got their break wouldn't even look at you if you still worked at a pirate.

And finally No talent is not necessarily required to get a job in the industry. Many of the best talents I worked with on pirates didn't get a job on legal radio not because they were not good enough but because they didn't 'fit in'. And though some may not believe it others were not given the chance simply because they were actually better than the controllers who were too jealous to hire them. I also know for a fact that during the 90's a number of well known stations effectively 'reverse auctioned' their shows to the lowest bidder, forcing up and coming jocks to undercut each other in wages simply to get their break. This meant often that the show went not to the best candidate but the one who didn't need to pay as many bills.

So essentially yes some on here do want a job in radio, some have been and some if lucky/talented enough will be.

Some are, or if given the opportunity could be better than those already on radio.

Just because you are on the radio doesn't mean you automatically deserve to be there.

But we are all here for a reason and that is to talk about radio and so even if those in the industry don't want to listen, on here of all places everyone's opinion should count.

But just before it sinks completely a few points.

Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion. Previous statements that suggest that if you are not part of the industry you are not entitled to have an opinion are ridiculous and part of the problem that has dogged radio for years. The notion that the industry knows best what the punter wants is so completely wrong that it defies belief. THE INDUSTRY IS THERE TO SERVE THE PUBLIC. The public is not there simply to provide 'fans' for those who have been lucky enough to break into the industry. When the industry stops listening to the voices and opinions of its listeners then it fails those very listeners it is supposed to serve. Why else has pirate radio thrived so much despite so many attempts to surpress it. Simply because it serves those who are not served by the industry who doesn't listen.

Yes there are those within the industry who believe the hype about themselves and fall foul of the 'god syndrome'. Ego to a degree an essential part of a radio jock's presentation. There is a need to show off and act larger than life, and in order to achieve that aura you sometimes almost need a split personality. Unfortunatley some people forget to leave their radio ego at the door when they leave the station. For others it gets so big it takes them over and they are nothing but ego. When this happens radio suffers because they can no longer see what is genuinely good radio and what is simply feeding their ever growing head. I have no problem taking these people down a peg or two. I was fortunate enough to work on a few of Dublin's biggest pirate stations during the 90s and worked with a lot of the jocks who are now 'main stream'. Most of those guys are the nicest people you could meet, but some once they got their break wouldn't even look at you if you still worked at a pirate.

And finally No talent is not necessarily required to get a job in the industry. Many of the best talents I worked with on pirates didn't get a job on legal radio not because they were not good enough but because they didn't 'fit in'. And though some may not believe it others were not given the chance simply because they were actually better than the controllers who were too jealous to hire them. I also know for a fact that during the 90's a number of well known stations effectively 'reverse auctioned' their shows to the lowest bidder, forcing up and coming jocks to undercut each other in wages simply to get their break. This meant often that the show went not to the best candidate but the one who didn't need to pay as many bills.

So essentially yes some on here do want a job in radio, some have been and some if lucky/talented enough will be.

Some are, or if given the opportunity could be better than those already on radio.

Just because you are on the radio doesn't mean you automatically deserve to be there.

But we are all here for a reason and that is to talk about radio and so even if those in the industry don't want to listen, on here of all places everyone's opinion should count.
    Excellent Post

Let me state I have no desire to get in to radio, I am just a listener.

Cruijff wrote: »
    Excellent Post

Let me state I have no desire to get in to radio, I am just a listener.

:)
    Cruijff wrote: »
    Sorry but do have any clue whatsoever, 2FM , RTE Radio 1, RTE lyric all are owned by RTE.

Who pays for RTE , the public do!!!

Our License fee pays for that, the license fee is what funds RTE.

Stop making out you know what you are talking about - nobody here (Liam etc) has claimed they know what the licence fee goes to in 2FM (they are second guessing like myself) but one thing is for certain - YOU certainly don't.

In case you are a little touched in the eyesight department, you said radio stations. I said there are more stations than RTE out there, you were implying you pay for everything, independent stations included.

Then I said to the best of my knowledge, I didn't say it was fact.

Now you can try and turn this around as much as you like to take the heat off yourself but the fact is, I have a full time gig in radio, I don't have anything to prove to anyone and you coming out with childish comments like "you don't have a clue" are quite hilarious I'm afraid. :o

Was it ever anything in the first place??

They cant

radio is not that bad

Haha absolute horsesh1t. Talk about generalizing. I earn a very very good living doing what I'm doing and I don't want to work in radio, or is that too hard to believe? Radio is that pretty bad imo which is why I don't really listen to it anymore. I actually have a keen interest in music and radio isn't where I find what I'm looking for anymore. Also, radio stations are extremely slow in picking up on new, good bands.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm closing this thread because it's gone way off the original topic and despite my warning to keep it civil, the thread has been anything but.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement