Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What board to buy?

Options
  • 15-05-2008 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I am looking at either a BIC 8'4" Magnum or 7'3" Mini Mal
    I've been surfing before, but am just a beginner really
    am about 13 stone but fit enough (i saw the magnum recommended for the bigger surfer)
    i'd like to go for the 7'3" as it wouldn't be as chunky, a bit lighter
    what would ye recommend?
    thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'd be inclined to go for the bigger one as you need that bit more bouyancy as a beginner. You might get away with the 7'3" but it'd make progressing a bit more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I am looking at either a BIC 8'4" Magnum or 7'3" Mini Mal
    I've been surfing before, but am just a beginner really
    am about 13 stone but fit enough (i saw the magnum recommended for the bigger surfer)
    i'd like to go for the 7'3" as it wouldn't be as chunky, a bit lighter
    what would ye recommend?
    thks

Hey. I've surfed a BIC 7"9' and a BIC 7"6'.
    They sound almost identical when you quote the lengths only. However their shapes are very different and the performance is also very different, the 7"6' is much faster and easier to turn than the 7"9' but not nearly as good at catching waves.
    What I'm trying to say is that you can't judge a board by length alone.
    Based on how the 7"6 performs i would believe that the 7"3' will be way too light for you to learn on, you're not light either. Of those two I would prob recommend the magnum which i haven't surfed either.
    You need something you're going to get up easy on and not get frustrated on while you learn.
    A friend bought a 7"6' and sold it as soon as he could and got a 9" as he was getting so frustrated with it. He;s also 13 stone.

If possible try to get a demo board of each size and try them out.
    If i was you i would try a magnum and a BIC 7"9', see what you like. If you decide after a few months that you need something else they're both extrmely easy to sell secondhand. I would steer clear of NSP, I've had one and didn't like the construction at all. not nearly as strong as the BICs.

Let us know how you get on, will help other posters in the same position.

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tanjian0007

Depending on the waves you will be surfing ( big waves small board small waves big board) I presume as a beginner you will be starting out like us all at what ever you can get. I have been surfing 5 years and have many boards I started on the Bic 7'9 and gradually reduced in size, but last summer the surf was so small I bought a 9'2. the best thing I have ever bought I only wish I had tried long boards earlier. Although the 7'9 was not bad it would have been much easier with a bigger board I thought my friend to surf 2 years ago he started on a bic 8'4 and was surfing in a couple of weeks. Any beginner I take out now they usually are standing in 1 or 2 sessions on the 9'2

What ever you decide, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I'm in a similar situation, i have been looking at the bic 7' 9" and 8' 4" and im the same weight.
    Report back and let us know what you choose/how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I have a magnum 8'4" since taking up surfing a few months ago. Boy is this a forgiving board! Easy to catch waves and the buoyancy is brilliant! Highly recommended for a beginner. ;)

Recently I've been thinking of trading down to a 7'9" as I've improved alot on the bigger board and can catch most waves. I'm a sprightly 12 stone so I think it could be a good move!

Check out this surfboard sizing chart: http://www.islesurfboards.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=18
    (if it hasn't been posted before!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Longboards are the best.

I learned on the 6'4 but some of the best surfs i've ever had have been on the 9'0".

For consistant waves and progression, longboard is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

hey,

thanks for all the info, looks like the bigger the better for now
    i'll let ye know what i get and how it goes

i have been looking at e-bay and the boards there are WAY cheaper than any shop in ireland, incl delivery.

edson

Advertisement