Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When buying a car from a dealer...

Options
  • 15-05-2008 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

....what is a resonable price to offer for a car if you are buying.

I have seen a couple of nice second hand cars that would suit me, however, they are slightly over the price I am willing to pay.

I am gonna be paying cash for the car, so is a 10% discount on the car a reasonable request on my behalf or am I asking for too much.

The particulars are thus: the car is advertised as €15,900 but am only willling to pay max €14,500. Will I offer my max and see what happens or start at €14,000 and see does if it gets to the €14,500 mark that would suit me.

Any opinions would be grateful.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Start at €14,000, see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I would expect that that car's priced to sell at 15K. Dealers don't mark up by a percentage, they mark up by a set margin which they then try and keep as much of as possible.

I think if you're a really good haggler and they really, really want to sell a car they might drop to 14,500, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you try and low-ball at 14K you may be risking them just saying "no".
    If they're not careful with their words they'll close the door on further negotiations and you won't get the car. If they are careful and they leave the door open, you'll have to up your offer immediately leaving you in a weaker negotiation position.

Try and get the car for 14.5, be prepared to go over your budget if you really want the car. If 14.5 is your absolute max, I don't think you'll get the car....

Good luck with it, let us know how you're getting on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

What car is it? Alot depends on that, if it is an easy car to move then go in at 14000. I got nearly 9000 (20%) off the asking price of mine over the phone!! But its a hummer so its very hard to move, I knew they would want rid. You are going in to buy cash (no trade in) yea? If so you should get atleast 1000 off the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Mickk wrote: »
    What car is it? Alot depends on that, if it is an easy car to move then go in at 14000. I got nearly 9000 off the asking price of mine over the phone!! But its a hummer so its very hard to move, I knew they would want rid. You are going in to buy cash (no trade in) yea? If so you should get atleast 1000 off the car.

Ford Focus '05.
    No trade in, have a car but not gonna use it in any negotiation, yeah will be cash.
    Have checked three websites and this one seemed ideal, I will continue to troll a few more and see if there is one for sell for €15,500. A grand of that will put me at budget.

Good advise there Chris, a grand off seems to be the early advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Shop around, asking €15,500 for a 05 Focus is expensive imo. Plenty of 05 Foci out there for sale.

I reckon paying €14k straight cash for one is more than achievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

BobbyD10 wrote: »
    I will continue to troll a few more and see if there is one for sell for €15,500.
    It's 'trawl'.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Be careful about where you start. You should be able to fire off a few reasons why you don't want to pay full whack.

Chris is dead right that if you try and start negotiations too low, you risk them just refusing but the bottom line is, if you don't ask you won't get. If they agree to 14000 I will immediately think "sh1t, i should have gone 13000!".

BobbyD10 wrote: »
    Ford Focus '05.
    No trade in, have a car but not gonna use it in any negotiation, yeah will be cash.
    Have checked three websites and this one seemed ideal, I will continue to troll a few more and see if there is one for sell for €15,500. A grand of that will put me at budget.

Good advise there Chris, a grand off seems to be the early advise.

Just double checking but you do know that carzone has 7 pages of these, not just one. 05 focus's go right down to 7000! Maybe you have already seen this but I think it could be made clearer...

Be careful about where you start. You should be able to fire off a few reasons why you don't want to pay full whack.

Chris is dead right that if you try and start negotiations too low, you risk them just refusing but the bottom line is, if you don't ask you won't get. If they agree to 14000 I will immediately think "sh1t, i should have gone 13000!".

Yea exactly what I do, find small things and just be negative. If they do just refuse put the ball in their court and just say, "right well what can you do for me?" and say nothing else. With a low figure in their minds they often come back with a decent offer to, and if they do turn around and say, "I'll tell you what, to be fair I will meet you halfway" and split the difference between your initial offer and their best. If they start at 15900, go in at 13500, they might come down to 14900 and then split your prices at 14200...
    If its a car that the vrt will come down on july first mention that, the fact that there are 7 pages of them on carzone mention that, if the garage isn't in a great location for passing trade mention that too!
    In fairness I usually do this on private sales with great effect but have done it for a friend in a garage once and it worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

what model focus is it, i bought a 05 saloon last june with 17000km's on the clock with 1 previos owner(oap), the askin price was 16900 and i got it for 16000 i think ya would be mad to pay anythin more than 14500 for it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yea exactly what I do, find small things and just be negative.

U can only go so much with being negative. If u go too far, the dealer will be pushed off u and know u are only tryin get money off. Be careful, don't go too negative.
    guil07 wrote: »
    what model focus is it, i bought a 05 saloon last june with 17000km's on the clock with 1 previos owner(oap), the askin price was 16900 and i got it for 16000 i think ya would be mad to pay anythin more than 14500 for it now

+1

Sold a 05 Focus freedom before christmas with low miles for around 14,000. Albeit it was a 1.6, i can't understand why u pay this kind of money 6 months later.

As for price, i'd go and look at the car. Browse around it, drive it etc. etc. Then talk money. I wouldn't be too afraid of just sayin ur 14500 and leavin it up to the dealer. At this time of year and because so close to the June changes, alot of people aren't buyin because of ignorance to the new laws. As said "Look at twenty, buy one". Do ur homeowork, at little bit of work and travelling could bring massive rewards. Don't settle for something u won't be happy with in time to come.
    It's a buyers market, and ur buying, so if ur strolling around with cash i can't imagine a better position to be in.

Here's a 06 that u could possibly walk away with in ur budget or a bit over. (Don't know whether u want a saloon or hatch etc.)
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/1.4-ZETEC/928330/

Here's a 06 that u could possibly walk away with in ur budget or a bit over. (Don't know whether u want a saloon or hatch etc.)

Slightly off topic but don't you just hate when the trim level being advertised is incorrect. That is not a Zetec model as described despite the LX badge being on the boot of one of the photos for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but don't you just hate when the trim level being advertised is incorrect. That is not a Zetec model as described despite the LX badge being on the boot of one of the photos for all to see.

Ha good spot. The wheels threw me off.

"Bmw M3, 1.8 petrol", that kinda ****:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

same thing happened to me before bout the wrong model, was gonna buy a passat and out of curiousity i did a check on cartell and it was only the base model, was supposed to be the the 130bhp one

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's 'trawl'.;)
    Thanks...lol.. :)
    Just double checking but you do know that carzone has 7 pages of these, not just one. 05 focus's go right down to 7000! Maybe you have already seen this but I think it could be made clearer...
    Excellent point.
    guil07 wrote: »
    I was hoping for a low milage. Hence, the reason I was querying the price at €15,900, seemed a little high.
    U can only go so much with being negative. If u go too far, the dealer will be pushed off u and know u are only tryin get money off. Be careful, don't go too negative.

+1

Sold a 05 Focus freedom before christmas with low miles for around 14,000. Albeit it was a 1.6, i can't understand why u pay this kind of money 6 months later.

As for price, i'd go and look at the car. Browse around it, drive it etc. etc. Then talk money. I wouldn't be too afraid of just sayin ur 14500 and leavin it up to the dealer. At this time of year and because so close to the June changes, alot of people aren't buyin because of ignorance to the new laws. As said "Look at twenty, buy one". Do ur homeowork, at little bit of work and travelling could bring massive rewards. Don't settle for something u won't be happy with in time to come.
    It's a buyers market, and ur buying, so if ur strolling around with cash i can't imagine a better position to be in.

Thanks for the link, ;) as it's only my second purchase of a car since nearly six years since the first, it is handy getting some opinions from the boards community.

This was the initial car I'd noticed.

http://www.sdfc.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1028827

Thanks... :)

If I was you
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/1.6-ZETEC/1061289/
    Low miles, same colour zetec, slightly bigger engine but you could get it for 11500.
    You would have loads of money left over to get a great home gym ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 libby25

hi guys was wondering what roughly would be the asking price of a 2000-2001 toyota yaris. was tinking about buying one. It's my first car. Does anyone have any buying tips for me please? I have'nt a clue really.[/B]
    Seen one for 4000e. The year is 2000 with 40k miles on the clock.. Does this sound right? Its also NCT'd til feb 2010. seems a little dodgy?:confused: any advice or tips greatly welcomed. Also anynone know of any reliable dealers in the midlands or west?Thanks again..:)

libby25 wrote: »
    hi guys was wondering what roughly would be the asking price of a 2000-2001 toyota yaris. was tinking about buying one. It's my first car. Does anyone have any buying tips for me please? I have'nt a clue really.[/B]
    Seen one for 4000e. The year is 2000 with 40k miles on the clock.. Does this sound right? Its also NCT'd til feb 2010. seems a little dodgy?:confused: any advice or tips greatly welcomed. Also anynone know of any reliable dealers in the midlands or west?Thanks again..:)

The mileage is pretty low alright but not unusual if the it was only used as a second car, but I would want to see some sort of service history to verify the mileage.

Also have the car checked out by a mechanic before buying. If you haven't a clue about cars then I suggest you bring someone along with you to view the car who knows their way around cars. A relative, friend or neighbour who is experienced in at least looking at cars or dealing with sales staff as they can be a little intimidating at times if your not used to dealing with them. They can be quick at spotting someone who is inexpierenced and can try and influence your decision to buy something your not 100% sure about.

€4k seems about ok for a 00 Yaris. Assuming it is in good shape and mechanical sound I would open with an offer of €3,500, see what they will say but I would pay no more than €3,750 for it.

Also get in writing what sort of warranty they are giving you as verbal warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. On that note I would imagine on an 8 year old car the warranty will probably only be 3 months and only cover engine and gearbox so don't rule out buying from a private seller as the market is very slow at the moment and there are good deals to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 libby25

Thank you for your advice.. :) Greatly appreciated..Will defo get someone who knows their stuff to come with me.:)

Advertisement