Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build problem: No signal to monitor.

Options
  • 15-05-2008 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Well I am glad to say that my parts for my new rig arrived today. It cost me 50 quid to get to the airport to collect them from DHL in a taxi but that’s a story for another time….

The new rig is all built next time me but when I turn it on I get nothing on screen. The monitor isn’t picking up a signal. Its SLI so I am wondering has that got something to do with it? I’m getting no beeps for errors. But I am also not getting a PSOT tone, not sure if I should be getting one though.

Is there something have to do for SLI? I took one card out but still nothing!

Any ideas?

Here is the list of components:

Name: 4096MB-Kit OCZ PC2-6400 ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth, CL4
    Article number: HV20OB96DE
    Stock balance: ready for dispatch
    Quantity: 2
    Price per unit: 95,79 €
    Price: 191,58 €

Name: Antec Nine Hundred, ATX, ohne Netzteil
    Article number: HV203KA9DE
    Quantity: 1
    Price per unit: 88,10 €
    Price: 88,10 €

Name: ATX-Netzteil Corsair TX750W 750 Watt
    Article number: HVR570CTDE
    Price per unit: 80,53 €
    Price: 80,53 €

Name: Club3D 8800GTS, 512MB, NVIDIA Geforce 8800GTS, PCI-Express
    Article number: HV1023DQDE
    Quantity: 2
    Price per unit: 183,88 €
    Price: 367,76 €

Name: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 boxed, 8192Kb, LGA775, 64bit, Kentsfield
    Article number: HV20QX66DE
    Price per unit: 158,95 €
    Price: 158,95 €

Name: LG GGC-H20L Retail
    Article number: HV207LC2DE
    Price per unit: 115,95 €
    Price: 115,95 €

Name: Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
    Article number: HV202G5RDE
    Price per unit: 47,84 €
    Price: 47,84 €

Name: Micro-SD-Karte 4096MB "SHDC"
    Article number: HV20DD96DE
    Price per unit: 16,18 €
    Price: 16,18 €

Name: MS Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Englisch
    Article number: HV33EVU6DE
    Price per unit: 140,55 €
    Price: 140,55 €

Name: MSI P6N SLI-FI, Sockel 775 nForce650i SLI, ATX
    Article number: HV1125MZDE
    Price per unit: 81,01 €
    Price: 81,01 €

Name: Samsung HD103UJ 1TB 32MB SATA II
    Article number: HV13103SDE
    Price per unit: 121,99 €
    Price: 121,99 €

Name: Super-Flower Fanmaster, Lüftersteuerung 5,25"
    Article number: HV30SFFMDE
    Price per unit: 27,54 €
    Price: 27,54 €

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Easy one! I had the same problem before and it applies to any second graphics card on these types of boards, not just sli.

See the card in a slot similar to a laptops ram slot or mini pci slot, its in between your two PCI-E 16x slots? Pop out that card turn it upside down so and pop it back in again and your in business! Nice rig btw....whats the 900 like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

skuzzb wrote: »
    Easy one! I had the same problem before and it applies to any second graphics card on these types of boards, not just sli.

See the card in a slot similar to a laptops ram slot or mini pci slot, its in between your two PCI-E 16x slots? Pop out that card turn it upside down so and pop it back in again and your in business! Nice rig btw....whats the 900 like?

Hmmm. Donest seem to work!

I first tried it and the sli bridge (mini pci card slot thing) looked like this:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/mainboards/msi-p6nsli-platinum/sli-s.jpg

So if I turn it around the other way, isn't that wrong?

Yeh the picture there is right for SLI....bugger thought this one was gonna be an wasy one!!!

Right so im presuming you did the normal checks (are all your cables in :p)

Did you reverse the pci card thingy when you tried to boot with the single card....

And the question i always have to ask.....did you use risers (the little brass thingys) when screwing the motherboard to the case?

Yeh the picture there is right for SLI....bugger thought this one was gonna be an wasy one!!!

Right so im presuming you did the normal checks (are all your cables in :p)

Did you reverse the pci card thingy when you tried to boot with the single card....

And the question i always have to ask.....did you use risers (the little brass thingys) when screwing the motherboard to the case?

Cables: From the power supply I have two to the MoBo: the atx 12v power connector an the atx 20 pin power connector. then i have 1 pcie powercable into each GPU (2 seperate ones).

I'll try that reversal now with the one card but pretty sure I've tried every combination.

Brass risers: Yes. I presume if I didnt I'd have a fried mother board and nothing in it happening at all?

Everything else so far checks. fans are spinning. Ram only put one stick of ram in, its in the A channel, slot one. I have only one hard drive in at the moment. CPU is spinning fine.

I still can't hear a post. I have heard the continues beep when I forget to plug into the power to the graphics card.

I should still be able to see the bios even if the hard drive were knackered, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

First thing to do is to stay calm, clear your head and dont panic :p

Take out both graphics card and use on onboard graphics, to see if its something to do with the video cards..

Check the ram i think thats your problem..

Try it with one stick of ram, then try one stick of ram in another slot and so on..

• Advertisement

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Take out both graphics card and use on onboard graphics, to see if its something to do with the video cards..

Edit this before somebody else see's! Its a 650i board so no onboard :pac:

Oh another quick one before im off, check your cmos clearing jumper is in the right postion, my 650i board wont boot if its not in or if its in the clear position!

each card has two DVI connection so I presume it doesnt matter which one I put it in?

Just gonne try get one card working for now!

Yeh it does sometimes, as your looking at the back of the case it should be in the left hand port.

Oh another quick one before im off, check your cmos clearing jumper is in the right postion, my 650i board wont boot if its not in or if its in the clear position!

This is where I fall into the novice category! Can you elaborate please?

• Advertisement

Im not 100% sure with that board and i cant find any decent pics....should be in the manual tho....

I am thinking now the problem is with the main board. I unplugged all ram, the graphics card and hard drive so just had the CPU in there. I didn’t get any beeps for no RAM which I think is odd.

I connected everything except the RAM and still no beeps.

I connected everything (including RAM) but did not connect power to the Graphics card and I gone one long continues beep.

I am presuming now that the problem is the main board so think I'll have to return it! :(

That long beep is actually coming from your graphics card! When nvidia cards dont get enough power they squeel a high pitched noise as it can damage the card....they should be fine but just dont do that again!!!

Are you sure you have the mini speaker conected to the motherboard and the pins are the right way around??

ah so that sound wasnt from the main board! hmmmm

I was there last night till 1.30am with my two buddies, both of whom are more experinced in building new machines than me and we tried everything! We took everything out and started from scratch and still nada. Still can't get any sort of a tone for errors or a post tone!

hmmm try get your hands on a low end core2duo maybe an e6300 or something, you might just need to flash to the latest bios also borrow a stick of ram from a friend and try that too...when you were buying did you make sure that ram was compatable?theres often issues with certain brands on certain boards.....would be much easier to try that and know its the motherboard rather than waiting a on a chance that they could send ya back the same board!!!

hmmm try get your hands on a low end core2duo maybe an e6300 or something, you might just need to flash to the latest bios also borrow a stick of ram from a friend and try that too...when you were buying did you make sure that ram was compatable?theres often issues with certain brands on certain boards.....would be much easier to try that and know its the motherboard rather than waiting a on a chance that they could send ya back the same board!!!

yeah, I'm gonna have to have another look at it Sunday night as I am just getting ready to leave now for the weekend. Plus I wont ahve a chance to look at it then again till Thursday as I am out of the country :(

Will keep ya posted!

Advertisement