Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Mobile

Options
  • 15-05-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Guys

Just got Digiweb mobile in and to be honest I'm not that impressed with teh speed. it's suppose to be 5.3MB down and i.5 up

DOWNLOAD UPLOAD LATENCY SERVER_NAME DISTANCE
    278 kb/s 285 kb/s 140 ms Dublin ~ 50 mi

271868281.png

am i right in thinking this is a bad result?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Yea seems pretty bad, I presume it was at peak time? Getting speeds like that sometimes is to be expected from all the mobile operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

that speed test was taken last night just before i posted so around 10pm.

if it keeps up like that it's going back to them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All mobile systems are "up to" speeds, not package speeds like DSL, Cable, Metro, Fixed Wireless.

The actual speed depends on the number of users on a mast sector and your signal quality. With 20 Users the Digweb Mobile would be giving about 250k or higher. The 3G/HSDPA mobile would give dialup speeds with 20 users on one sector.

278k is about 6x Dialup speed. Try your modem at different places.

No mobile system will ever give fixed broadband performance all the time, everywhere.

I know it is faster than dial up but I'm paying €35 a month for this and the sopeed is pretty awful. I had ripwave and to be hionest I dont see much of a difference between the speeds. I'll try move the router to a different part of the apartment to see if it gets a stronger signal.

i basically took this package coz i don't have a need for a house phone and hate the thought of paying eircom €30 a month just for having a line in the apartment. What sorts of speeds could i expect if i did put eircom in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

dade wrote: »

i basically took this package coz i don't have a need for a house phone and hate the thought of paying eircom €30 a month just for having a line in the apartment. What sorts of speeds could i expect if i did put eircom in?

Was it sold to you as a replacement for a fixed service like DSL or one of the fixed wireless options (Metro, Ice ect)?

If it was then you probably have grounds for complaint. If not................

• Advertisement

no it wasn't sold as a replacement but they did say that metro wasn't availible to me. but they do have a 14 day cooling off period where they said if you can't get the service. i can get the service put it's pretty bad. one of the lads has rip wave so I'm gonna get him to swing by tonight and I'll do do a test on his for comparison

Basic ripwave is usallly slower with much worse latency, 220kbps. Ripwave+ can be a good bit faster, but probably never more than 1Mbps.

DSL (via phone) is much more expensive as you pay rental and DSL, the basic speed is 1Mbps and more expensive packages depending on how good your line is are up to 8Mbps, 3Mbps is likely possible if your line passes.

But they won't / can't tell you if you will get DSL at all till line is installed and tested.

i've already spoken to eircom and they said i can get DSL no problem. the estate is only a few years old. they said I can get the 3mb package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

i've already spoken to eircom and they said i can get DSL no problem. the estate is only a few years old. they said I can get the 3mb package

Get your phone line connected and go to BT (Smart if available) or someone else with inclusive line rental. All of these will be better than mobile BB and IMO better than wireless.

smart is not available out my way.

I'll recheck the speeds tonight could be the location in the apartment or something. failing that i guess it's time to recalculate the finances

• Advertisement

If you can get eircom DSL (and they won't know really really till it is done), then you can transfer calls, bill and broadband to: BT, Digiweb, Perlico, UTV etc when it is working. This usually gives a saving.

i can ger eircom and so on no problem but i'm tring to limit my expense. i need broadband for work and they sub me €25 a month for it, with this digiweb i also get a house phone for 30 a month so it only costs me 10 + calls. if i get eircom the line rental alone is about 30 then the broadband package then the calls.

I've moved the router to the back of teh apartment and have done two more tests

272245490.png

272246684.png

huge difference. I'll keep testing over the weeked i could have just placed th router in a crap spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

If you can get DSL then go for that. Wireless will just break your heart in the long run.

€60pm will get you rental, local&national calls & 2mb(3mb in June)
    If you go with BT, Digiweb, Perlico etc it will even be a few quid cheaper

25 is more a month than I get. ;)

I've moved the router to the back of teh apartment and have done two more tests

272245490.png

272246684.png

huge difference. I'll keep testing over the weekend i could have just placed th router in a crap spot

I think most people on 3G mobile would be delirious with those upload speeds. Entry level / Basic DSL is 800k to 1000k downstream and 100k to 128 upstream.

yeah i'm delighted with the upload speeds it's the download that's killing me.:(
    I've been checking at various times and its fluctuating at about 1 - 1.5 MB download. so on average what can i expect if i went to a wired solution?

Depends how much you pay.

The basic DSL is 800k to 1000k download and 100 to 128k upload (1M/128k package).

You pay more for higher packages. Assuming the phone line is good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

yeah i'm delighted with the upload speeds it's the download that's killing me.:(
    I've been checking at various times and its fluctuating at about 1 - 1.5 MB download. so on average what can i expect if i went to a wired solution?

dade while that speed it quite good now it will gradually get worse once more people in your area get it after which your stuck in a 12 month contract. Even one or two people will cripple your speeds. The entry level dsl download speed is consistently 1024Kb and rising. DSL if you can get it would be much better in the long run. For example 2mb dsl will have 2048Kb(3072Kb in June) download speed.

Anyone who has 3G will tell you that speeds were alright when they first got it but will ultimately be close to dial up speeds.

Try this speed checker as well it is generally more reliable.

http://www.irishisptest.com/

tried taht site a few times and ut keeps hanging. I'll try it again later today

i hear ya about teh speeds worsening, sure if it's this bad on a nice clear sunny day just imagine what it'll be like in winter. guess i'll just have to bite teh bullet.

However 3G/HSDPA is a different system and degrades x2 to x4 faster as users are added.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    However 3G/HSDPA is a different system and degrades x2 to x4 faster as users are added.

So Digiweb mobile won't degrade?

Dade, get out while you can, before you're stuck in contract.

paulm17781 wrote: »

i have about a week left so gonna make some phone calls tomorrow (bloody exam today) and see what's teh best rate i can get. I know i can get BT, Eircom, Perlico and IBB on DSL so i guess it's down to who has teh speeds for my euro.

i have about a week left so gonna make some phone calls tomorrow (bloody exam today) and see what's teh best rate i can get. I know i can get BT, Eircom, Perlico and IBB on DSL so i guess it's down to who has teh speeds for my euro.

Off the top of my head BT are best priced, not 100% certain though. Have a look around their websites.

Mobile is for "Mobile use" or when fixed Broadband isn't available. I didn't say it doesn't get slower with more users, but not as badly as 3G/HSDPA.

3G/HSDPA has a maximum of 24 connections. At 20 users it easily drops to nearly dialup speed (about 70kbps) . It's possible to have 500kbps with 20 users on the Digiweb Mobile Technology. Also the 3G/HSDPA figures assume no phone calls. The Digiweb system is not shared with phones. The 3G/HSDPA shares with phones which have priority, so with enough phone users even 4 or 5 users of modems on 3G/HSDAP might only get 100kbps.

If you don't need mobility and you can afford 3Mbps ADSL, then obviously that is better. However it's unfair to suggest that the Digiweb Mobile is the same as Regular 3G/HSDPA. That would be like suggesting IBB Breeze is the same as IBB Ripwave. (Yes they both are wireless).

Off the top of my head BT are best priced, not 100% certain though. Have a look around their websites.

It depends on which level of package, how important any phone call bundle is and how much cap etc..

It's quite time consuming to compare eircom, BT, imagine, UTV, Digiweb, IBB DSL directly. Be sure to make sure you include line rental and any minimum call bundle costs when comparing. Note that Fair Use Policy with no cap just means they don't tell you what the cap is till it is broken. The various ISPs vary in how they apply cap, what they do when it is passed etc. Most reserve the right to enforce cap more rigidly if they don't now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭victor8600

Digiweb Mobile, Tyrrelstown (Bellgree Rise). Did not move the router around yet, as it is the latency and speeds are quite poor:

273878909.png

Lower part of Tyrellstown hardly gets a signal. I'm at higher part tonight near shopping centre and I get zero strength with card in laptop slot. Better with Router on windowsill facing Blanchardstown Tech.

You could ring sales/support and see do they have any external aerials yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭victor8600

watty wrote: »
    ....You could ring sales/support and see do they have any external aerials yet.

Thanks, I may try to make an antenna myself if they don't have them :) Anyway, I am moving to Whitestown (near Blanch's shopping center) shortly, and connection there is much better:
    274313837.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Does anyone know when Digiweb will roll this out past the Dublin area? Initially, they claimed they would have very comprehensive coverage across Ireland by now.

• Advertisement

victor8600 wrote: »
    Thanks, I may try to make an antenna myself if they don't have them :) Anyway, I am moving to Whitestown (near Blanch's shopping center) shortly, and connection there is much better:
    274313837.png

The Modem uses a special connector. The wrong plug or aerial could damage it and usually the Modem remains Digiweb property, so you probably don't want to trying doing your own aerial.

Advertisement