Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Blu-Ray player?

• 15-05-2008 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking the Panny D30 but are there others out there? I need something to play my "old" multi region DVDs as well..... knowwhatImeanloike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

yup, panasonic BD30 for ~500 quid is a stunning player and it can be "modified" in certain places to play all region DVDs!

Denon & Pioneer have new players coming over the summer which are meant to be the business.. but the basic will be around 900 and the the flagship one are the 1500 mark.

denon... hmm.. will probably be up around the 1500-2k mark. and it's not known yet whether they'll be able to be multi-regioned for DVDs.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

big_moe wrote: »
    yup, panasonic BD30 for ~500 quid is a stunning player and it can be "modified" in certain places to play all region DVDs!
    Hi Moe,
    thanks for the info... is that a chip mod or a handset hack? I did find one hack on the 'net for the BD30 but obvioulsy I wouldn't take it for granted that it works.

handset hack that works, guaranteed from us. not too sure about the other hacks online.

i've heard of a chip mod for some of the sony players but not for the pannys yet.

adam

handset hack that works, guaranteed from us. not too sure about the other hacks online.

i've heard of a chip mod for some of the sony players but not for the pannys yet.

adam

Sound.... I'll drop into yerself and Richard in the next few weeks so.....

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Sound.... I'll drop into yerself and Richard in the next few weeks so.....

who's Richard?!

• Advertisement

who's Richard?!

don't Richard and William own that shop? Or have I been calling him Richard for years incorrectly?

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    don't Richard and William own that shop? Or have I been calling him Richard for years incorrectly?

haha, no that's Mark!

you're not the first person to call him Richard though!!

haha, no that's Mark!

you're not the first person to call him Richard though!!

Hah! feck's sake.... He still took my money though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

where is the store? wanna get one...

Alliance Electric on St Great Georges Street, Dublin2. Good shop that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Originally posted by Big_Moe: yup, panasonic BD30 for ~500 quid

€349.50 on komplett.ie. See here:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=350469

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,188 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

if I where you I'd buy a PS3 (I don't play games only watch Blu-Ray, its the best player outthere at the moment) and it supports the latest Blu-Ray profiles and get a decent multi-region DVD player theres a decent one in Argos from Philips that has HDMI and upscales for around 75 euros, save yourself some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

+1 for the PS3.

I bought one specifically for it's Blu-Ray capabilities as it's future proof with their firmware upgrades. I also got a remote for it so saves farting about with the controller if you just want to watch Blu-Ray movies. Plus it doubles as a media centre and has some great games available namely GTAIV.

TC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Has anyone tried the LG BH200 it's a combo player Hddvd & Bluray & also can be made region free for both bluray & Sddvd via a firmware update bluray region codes have to be set each time for different zones eg A,B,C. The availability in europe is poor & expensive but they are cheap enough from the states on ebay anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

If you're looking for a quality Blu-ray player then you should consider the PS3, Sony S350 and the Samsung 1500. They are all great players with their own strengths and weaknesses.

I wouldn't go for the Panasonic BD30 as the DVD upscaling quality is abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

Denon & Pioneer have new players coming over the summer which are meant to be the business.. but the basic will be around 900 and the the flagship one are the 1500 mark.

denon... hmm.. will probably be up around the 1500-2k mark. and it's not known yet whether they'll be able to be multi-regioned for DVDs.

adam

Hi Big Moe
    I see Pioneer BDP-LX71 for €799 on alliance electric website,is it in stock or what! ,because if it is then the LX 91 wont be far then!

the lx71 will be here towards the end of october, then the lx91 will be a few weeks after that.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Panasonic BD30 Is see this has already been replaced by this Panasonic BD35

and the BD50 by the 55.

trabpc wrote: »
    Panasonic BD30 Is see this has already been replaced by this Panasonic BD35

and the BD50 by the 55.

Yes, Panasonic didnt wait long before they moved on from the BD50 and upgraded to the BD55. I wouldn't mind, there was hardly any stock of the BD50 to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

Rsaeire wrote: »
    If you're looking for a quality Blu-ray player then you should consider the PS3, Sony S350 and the Samsung 1500. They are all great players with their own strengths and weaknesses.

I wouldn't go for the Panasonic BD30 as the DVD upscaling quality is abysmal.

+1 for the S350. Great wee player and can be got at a reasonable price and also easy(ish) to make DVD multi-region via a remote hack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Goolay

smiddyboy wrote: »
    +1 for the S350. Great wee player and can be got at a reasonable price and also easy(ish) to make DVD multi-region via a remote hack.

Is it possible to make this player multiregion for Blu-Ray discs also? Just wondering as I'm planning on getting a BR player but will be using a modded xbox to upscale SD dvds.

Dublin579 wrote: »
    Is it possible to make this player multiregion for Blu-Ray discs also? Just wondering as I'm planning on getting a BR player but will be using a modded xbox to upscale SD dvds.

There is a remote hack as evidenced here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

The hack is for DVD playback only. AFAIK you need special firmware to play region A and B BluRay discs. Check eBay for modded players.

MediaTank wrote: »
    The hack is for DVD playback only. AFAIK you need special firmware to play region A and B BluRay discs. Check eBay for modded players.

Sorry, I mis-read the original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=981

Multi region panasonic bd 35 its for multiregion Blu ray and sd dvd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

About the PS3 - does it play non blu-ray disks?

Anyone recommend the best place to buy it at the minute - any good deals on offer???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

lauratkd wrote: »
    About the PS3 - does it play non blu-ray disks?

Anyone recommend the best place to buy it at the minute - any good deals on offer???

Sure does play DVD. Try eBay for a deal.

Yeah i know loads of people use eBay - I use it myself for other stuff. I just don't like the idea of using it for something like this in case there is any problem. I just don't know enough about games consoles to know what to look for!!

Yeah i know loads of people use eBay - I use it myself for other stuff. I just don't like the idea of using it for something like this in case there is any problem. I just don't know enough about games consoles to know what to look for!!

I know how you feel. I try buying most, if not all, of my technology from online stores or in a brick-and-mortar store when possible. My only exception is when buying mobile phones off eBay due to the huge difference in prices.

• Advertisement

I found an 80GB PSP with one game (can't remember which one) for €399 in a shop near me.. Any good? Nothing else extra comes with it really...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I found an 80GB PSP with one game (can't remember which one) for €399 in a shop near me.. Any good? Nothing else extra comes with it really...

argos have a better deal than that at the moment.

Check out bargain alerts

Just checked that out. It's the same price but comes with "Little Big Planet", "Gran Turismo Prologue" and PS3 accessories pack.

Any idea what the Prologue bit is about - is it not just the normal game? Also any idea what's in the accessories pack???

Sorry if I sound like a complete clueless fool in relation to this stuff but I guess I am!! Just trying to get a good Chirstmas present though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just checked that out. It's the same price but comes with "Little Big Planet", "Gran Turismo Prologue" and PS3 accessories pack.

Any idea what the Prologue bit is about - is it not just the normal game? Also any idea what's in the accessories pack???

Sorry if I sound like a complete clueless fool in relation to this stuff but I guess I am!! Just trying to get a good Chirstmas present though!

Go to the argos site. It has it all there

GT5 Prologue is basically a demo of the GT5 game that will be coming out soon. It's a nice way to make money off people who love the franchise, and helps build excitement/developers' wallets by releasing a teaser of the final product.

Advertisement