Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheres the fecking parachute?

• 15-05-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Can someone who is nearly finished this bad boy please tell me that there is a parachute somewhere?. What the point in having all the skyscrapers if you can't jump off the bloody things!.

If you go on one of the helicopter rides, the pilot starts talking about how his buddy base jumped one of the buildings, yet we can't. Please tell me they didn't take the parachute from GTA?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

There is NO parachute in GTAIV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Some people are never happy.

And there's nothing stopping you from jumping off the skyscrapers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Hate to say it though GTA IV is slowly losing its appeal. They took planes away on me, fair enough but parachutes?. PS2 GTA had parachutes, next gen games console has none?. I mean the processor used in an PS3 is the same processor that they use in surface to air guidance missiles, yet rockstar cant used the bloody thing to add a parachute to GTA IV. F*!k that, Im done. Roll on Just Cause 2.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Over reaction of the week goes to ......

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Over reaction of the week goes to ......

Not overreacting at all. The game is good craic don't get me wrong, but a simple thing like a parachute would make it so much better. The fact is that you can't put something good into a game like that and then take it away?. Its extremely easy to get pi$$ed off running around shooting people and wrecking cars.

Think about how much better multiplayer would be with a parachute, I'll give ye another 3-4 weeks at this game before your asking yourself the same question...

• Advertisement

Feelgood wrote: »

Think about how much better multiplayer would be with a parachute,.

Not a lot tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Hate to say it though GTA IV is slowly losing its appeal. They took planes away on me, fair enough but parachutes?. PS2 GTA had parachutes, next gen games console has none?. I mean the processor used in an PS3 is the same processor that they use in surface to air guidance missiles, yet rockstar cant used the bloody thing to add a parachute to GTA IV. F*!k that, Im done. Roll on Just Cause 2.....
    Heh, a fellow Ardee man eh?

Just to let you know, they didn't take parachutes and planes out to save space. They did it to add some element of realism.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Not a lot tbh.

Bollox to that, I was playing in free roam last night and myself and this other bloke were going head on at each other for about 30 minutes straight, neither of us died. So I jack a helicopter and fly to the top of one of the buildings and jump out, so that I can blow him out of his chopper with my rocket launcher.

Turns out the cnut blew up my chopper, so I'm left sitting on top of the building we nout else to do but jump off. Firstly it was the most intense one-on-one gaming session I had ever online, was class and then it got totally ruined by the fact that when you get to the top of a building there's not a whole pile you can do, unless you want to spend 10 minutes running down stairs.

I'll be the first to say that this game is not epic, in fact the more I play it the less appealing it gets. All I can say is I hope Rock* add some nifty new features to its downloadable content packs. There is nothing incredibly new about GTA at all really. Apart from the graphics San Andreas was a much much better game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Apart from the graphics San Andreas was a much much better game..
    HA! :rolleyes:

nealmac wrote: »
    Heh, a fellow Ardee man eh?

Just to let you know, they didn't take parachutes and planes out to save space. They did it to add some element of realism.

Firstly Im not a fellow Ardee man, I OWN Ardee and your just privileged that I let you live in it :)

Parachutes are real though, base jumping is very real. I would be more inclined to say that going head first through the window of a car and then getting up and walking away is not realistic.

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    HA! :rolleyes:

Yo basq don't be coming in here pulling faces. Gimme 5 things (Single player mode only) that are "different" in GTA IV that you hadn't got in GTA SA. Apart from the getting drunk crap, which wears thin after about the 3rd time.

Whats different, how has GTA evolved?. Has it evolved?.

Yo basq don't be coming in here pulling faces. Gimme 5 things (Single player mode only) that are "different" in GTA IV that you hadn't got in GTA SA. Apart from the getting drunk crap, which wears thin after about the 3rd time.

Whats different, how has GTA evolved?. Has it evolved?.
    Internet, phone, far better characters and storyline, shooting improved & cover system, graphics. If you're basing san andreas being better on it having a bigger map that you can jump about in with jetpacks and parachutes then you're not playing the game properly.

Firstly Im not a fellow Ardee man, I OWN Ardee and your just privileged that I let you live in it :)

Parachutes are real though, base jumping is very real. I would be more inclined to say that going head first through the window of a car and then getting up and walking away is not realistic.
    Finnan McCoy? Is that you? :p

Yeah, I know parachutes and base jumping are real, but they're not realistic. There's a difference. Base jumping is fine for someone who has had proper training etc. I don't think an illegal immigrant from europe fits the part :p

Internet, phone, far better characters and storyline, shooting improved & cover system, graphics. If you're basing san andreas being better on it having a bigger map that you can jump about in with jetpacks and parachutes then you're not playing the game properly.

Well the graphics were bound to be better given that the graphics and processor capabilities of a PS3 or XBOX 360 are about 20 times more powerful than that of a PS2, though yes your right.

Phone thing was "borrowed" from Saints Row so thats not evolution its more like plagiarism. Story line follows the exact same theme as previous GTA installments, do some jobs from the mafia, drug deals, steal cars, Rastas etc etc, though the same basic trend is what makes GTA what it is so obviously this wasn't going to change much.

Personally I think the cover system is pants, its alright if your stuck in the one place the whole time though if someone comings running at you to shoot you its a bitch to get off whatever your stuck to. Not great IMO.

Internet?. Hehehehe. Yeah its class. Sure I'm on GTA internet at the minute replying to you.

Right well here are 5 missing things...

Army Tanks or any Military for that matter.
    Airplanes and jetpacks.
    Parachutes.
    Buying Property
    Customising cars.
    Bicycle.
    Flamethrower (My all time favourite)

Basically they should have just released GTA SA with XBOX / PS3 Graphics,
    would have made for a much better game IMO.

Yeah, I know parachutes and base jumping are real, but they're not realistic. There's a difference. Base jumping is fine for someone who has had proper training etc. I don't think an illegal immigrant from europe fits the part :p

Spinnin Finnan....hehehe yeah Im working over at Liberty Rock now.

Thats where your wrong horse, Niko was in the Army and the army know how to parachute they do it in training. Even the bloody F.C.A do parachute training!. Fu*king Johnny Weldon could work a parachute.

Well the graphics were bound to be better given that the graphics and processor capabilities of a PS3 or XBOX 360 are about 20 times more powerful than that of a PS2, though yes your right.

Phone thing was "borrowed" from Saints Row so thats not evolution its more like plagiarism. Story line follows the exact same theme as previous GTA installments, do some jobs from the mafia, drug deals, steal cars, Rastas etc etc, though the same basic trend is what makes GTA what it is so obviously this wasn't going to change much.

Personally I think the cover system is pants, its alright if your stuck in the one place the whole time though if someone comings running at you to shoot you its a bitch to get off whatever your stuck to. Not great IMO.

Internet?. Hehehehe. Yeah its class. Sure I'm on GTA internet at the minute replying to you.

Right well here are 5 missing things...

Army Tanks or any Military for that matter.
    Airplanes and jetpacks.
    Parachutes.
    Buying Property
    Customising cars.
    Bicycle.
    Flamethrower (My all time favourite)

Basically they should have just released GTA SA with XBOX / PS3 Graphics,
    would have made for a much better game IMO.
    So basically copy all the old games and don't try anything new, wow you must love EA.

So basically copy all the old games and don't try anything new, wow you must love EA.

Nope my whole statement was that I though SA was better than IV and that basically if they released it it would have made for a better game.

As per previous posts, the only new thing Rock* have tried was taking away the old good stuff. There is nothing new about GTA IV really. Nothing that blows your mind. I reckon it will be in bargain bins around the country by September 1st....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Nah the cover system and driving add to the game muchly. I agree mostly with your other points though. Theres feck all to do with your money and feck all customisation.
    I feel let down. But the game hasnt come out of the Ps3 until tonight. Sooo ill complete it now and whinge after the third time i clear it. (still havent cleared it once)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

But the same immigrant can fly a chopper which I may add is more difficult to fly than a plane. I agree with feelgood , rock* copped out on alo of things in GTA 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

I skydive. One of the things I did most in SA was skydive. Only lasted a couple of seconds but each time it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. Hugely disappointed they left out the parachute.

For everyone who's so obsessed with the realism aspect, why not put it in as a cheat? I'd say there's something unrealistic about shooting someone in the face with a sawn-off only to watch them get up and limp away clutching their leg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

There was one reason planes were left out....lack of premise for em to be there. Where the hell would you fly to??? Fly from Liberty City to Liberty City? That's what choppers are for.

SA was the most broken GTA game released. The game was all over the shop and had no focus. CJ was a bad character, where you just could not justify the mayhem he was capable of causing. He was too good. He was drawn into the whole "gangbanging" scene by other characters in the game, not because of the person he was. The random acts of violence that make GTA the game it is didn't fit with his character.

Parachutes could have been left in...but without airplanes is there anything they add to gameplay???

Buying property does not fit into this iteration of GTA either. Niko came to find a certain someone, not become a successful business man, and if he did become a successful business man would the story make sense??? Would it have the same emotional investment??? Aside, property prices in a city like Liberty city are well out of reach of a bottom rung criminal. Realistically you would need at least 10 million to buy a property that would be capable of earning funds.

Jet packs or military are also totally out of context. In fairness the military doesn't get involved in hunting a criminal, even if that criminal were a terrorist, thats what the FIB are for.

The story in this GTA is far more advanced than any previous GTA game. It may be played in the same fashion (go there, watch cutscene, play mission), but the character development, and plot development are head and shoulders above other games(bar a select few, Max Payne2, System Shock2, Deus Ex, HL2). The mentioned games are the only ones to match or surpass the story and characterisation of GTAIV.

If you ask me this is the most complete GTA game yet, where everything fits to create a convincing virtual world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

The thing that annoys me most that they took out is the stealth element.

A silenced pistol would of been nice along with the stealth kills with the knife.

then theres the tanks and parachutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'm really annoyed that they took out airplanes, flying was one of the best aspects of SA imo.

Spinnin Finnan....hehehe yeah Im working over at Liberty Rock now.

Thats where your wrong horse, Niko was in the Army and the army know how to parachute they do it in training. Even the bloody F.C.A do parachute training!. Fu*king Johnny Weldon could work a parachute.
    Ha, ha good old Johnny.

Yeah never thought of him being in the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The story in this GTA is far more advanced than any previous GTA game. It may be played in the same fashion (go there, watch cutscene, play mission), but the character development, and plot development are head and shoulders above other games(bar a select few, Max Payne2, System Shock2, Deus Ex, HL2). The mentioned games are the only ones to match or surpass the story and characterisation of GTAIV.
    :eek:
    ah MGS maybe..;)

anyway i agree with feelgood about parachutes and things. And i don't see why people are talking about the realistic part of gta cause its not that realistic.. it is a game afterall. i still think it's a better game than the other gta's and the cover system and aiming are miles better but the could have icluded a bit more maybe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

I landed a helicopter on one of the bridges but when I got out the back kind of sunk into the bridge I couldnt get in and couldnt move it so I had to jump. I tried aiming for water but was to far away from it. A parachute would have come in handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

I think the reason for no planes in Liberty City is pretty obvious even for a company like Rockstar who court controversy.

Planes in NYC, ability to fly them into buildings= HUGE HUGE PR NIGHTMARE.

Also the realism factor too, everything in this version of GTA fits with the city, scenario. IMO car custimisation fitted with the "pimp my ride factor" in San Andreas not in NYC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i misss the parachute, bicycle & most importantly WHERES MY TANK!!

other than that its a great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

tok9 wrote: »
    :eek:
    ah MGS maybe..;)
    Sorry dude, I don't rate MGS. I find the story relies too heavily on cutscenes, and the cutscenes are over long, and self-indulgent. I just don't like Kojima's style of story telling. Its aged...badly. I never even finished Snake Eater, as I got pissed off having to watch a cutscene after every 10 mins gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Just enjoy the "Splat!" at the end of the jump, there's no fun in falling at 3 miles an hour! :D

Advertisement