Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing a UK car in the north

Options
  • 15-05-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

Quick question. I have a UK car insured by an Irish company. Part of the time the car is in the Republic for work so thats the address that is used for the insurance but it will also be driven on Northern roads. As it's a UK reg, I'm going to tax it up there. Would there be a problem doing this with an IKrish insurance disc and then northern tax? The insurance company is all-ireland both north and south.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Where you reside Jeff, is the question? If you live in the republic, you should tax it here.........and pay VRT too...........and I know, i know, its mad - but its the law and if you don't like the law consider living in NI.
    All of the rest of us have to pay tax and vrt in the republic........why not you too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Hi,

Quick question. I have a UK car insured by an Irish company. Part of the time the car is in the Republic for work so thats the address that is used for the insurance but it will also be driven on Northern roads. As it's a UK reg, I'm going to tax it up there. Would there be a problem doing this with an IKrish insurance disc and then northern tax? The insurance company is all-ireland both north and south.

Thanks

Yeah reckon that'll be a problem. AFAIK you must have a UK Policy to get taxed in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

Live in NI, work in ROI.....car is insured at ROI work address cos I stay there for a certain number of days during the week but reg plate and home address is NI.

The company insures both sides of the border, just wondering if that could count as a UK policy then as it insures me to drive in the north too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

is it not taxed already? How was it done last time?

Either way, you should be fine - just apply for your disc as normal, and don't raise the issue unless they do. Can you do it online?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afaik, you have to re-register the car in the North to tax it there.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'm guessing your insured with quinn, as you said they operate both sides of the border...

They will not accept the southern policy document to tax the car... you'll need to switch the policy to a northern one with quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

galwaytt wrote: »
    is it not taxed already? How was it done last time?

Either way, you should be fine - just apply for your disc as normal, and don't raise the issue unless they do. Can you do it online?
    I doubt it. When you renew online, I am not even sure you can with DVLA NI, there is a check carried out against the motor insurance database. I would doubt that a Southern Irish policy would be registered on that database.

The best bet would be to just call into a post office with all the relevent paperwork and have a go.

MrP

Just bought the car so the tax is either expired or is nearly up. I'll try the PO and see how I get on.

Thanks

Was also wondering, what if you were stopped:
    a) in the north with southern insurance
    b) in the south with UK reg and northern tax?

Thanks

If you get pulled on either side of the border and they check your docs I would imagine it would arouse suspicion.

Could you not just insure it in the North if you live there and have the car registered there? W.r.t driving it for work in the south - just tell the (NI Branch of the) insurance company that you use the car for work/business purposes. It'll push up the premium but I can't see how else you can legitimately tax and insure it otherwise. Maybe some of the others on here will have a better soultion that doesn't involve breaking the law..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

rigal wrote: »
    If you get pulled on either side of the border and they check your docs I would imagine it would arouse suspicion.

Could you not just insure it in the North if you live there and have the car registered there? W.r.t driving it for work in the south - just tell the (NI Branch of the) insurance company that you use the car for work/business purposes. It'll push up the premium but I can't see how else you can legitimately tax and insure it otherwise. Maybe some of the others on here will have a better soultion that doesn't involve breaking the law..:)

Tax/Insure it where you live. There should be no problem driving it across the border to work. How is that breaking the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yup, insure and tax where resident.

I'm insured with quinn and they also operate in the Netherlands but the irish policy is only good for 3 months at a time.

Tax/Insure it where you live. There should be no problem driving it across the border to work. How is that breaking the law?

When I referred to breaking the law I was referring to not having the car legally taxed, registered and insured in the correct jurisdiction.

If you use your car for work purposes (i.e more than just commuting to and from) you are supposed to make the insurer aware of this and it will have a bearing on your premium. It is usually a question they will ask. I'm not sure that many people answer this honestly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

With a UK reg car you do not have to display the southern insurance disc. As long as you can show the tax office in the North an insurance certificate covering the registration, they won't give a damn whether or not the address is in the north or the south. I have relatives close to the border doing this.

When I referred to breaking the law I was referring to not having the car legally taxed, registered and insured in the correct jurisdiction.

If you use your car for work purposes (i.e more than just commuting to and from) you are supposed to make the insurer aware of this and it will have a bearing on your premium. It is usually a question they will ask. I'm not sure that many people answer this honestly though.
    I just use it for commuting to and from work then "social, domestic and leisure". I be in the republic for part of the week, the north for the other part of the week. My tax has to go to the UK because I am on their roads and it's a UK reg. The easiest thing is prob to change my insurance to my northern address.....just thought this might cause a problem cos the car is kept overnight at a southern address when I go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The problem is they will not accept a southern insurance certificate, it needs to be a UK insurance certificate...

With a UK reg car you do not have to display the southern insurance disc. As long as you can show the tax office in the North an insurance certificate covering the registration, they won't give a damn whether or not the address is in the north or the south. I have relatives close to the border doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

It doesn't matter what address you have used, or where you "claim" to reside as this is judged by to whom you pay your taxes, the UK Gove. or the Irish Gov.

If its the latter then no matter where you work or drive the car needs to be VRT'd, thats the law as it stands.

If you pay tax to the UK then use the NI address for all your cars ownership records !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The problem is they will not accept a southern insurance certificate, it needs to be a UK insurance certificate...

Brother has QD insurance from the south and it was accepted in the post office.

Advertisement