Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concentration and Focus Supplements Needed

• 15-05-2008 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey everyone,

I'm having an exam on Saturday and was wondering if anyone knows or used any vitamins, pills or other supplements for brain stimulation to help concentrate and focus. I am having great difficulties to study these days and would really need something to help. I went to the gym, park, had loads of fruits but nothing.. :(

Thanks for the help

Sue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Have you ever tried burning rosemary oil in an oil burner while you study ?It's traditionally associated with memory. There's a line in Hamlet spoken by Ophelia "Rosemary for remembrance".Science wise they say it does help increase cerebral blood flow somewhat and hence concentration. I was quite dubious about it but I tried it when I did my exams and I think it helped a bit. It may have been a placebo effect but often that's all you need with these things. Unlike lots of other memory and study aids at least it can't hurt.

I'd be very careful about taking anything that promises miracles at the best of times but taking anything so close to an exam could be extremely dodgy. Be careful about it and good luck on Saturday :)

At this stage lots of water, good nights sleep and make sure your getting a decent supply of protien.
    I find my thinking much more coherent when I've had my Omega supplement.
    At the minute I'm using Udo's choice but i prefer milled flax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Fish oil is your best bet. It's used as a treatment for ADHD children. Ginko is also good, but hard to get in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Cut out sugar, take fish oils, take magnesium (chelated or citrate, not oxide) before you go to bed, drink lots of water, plenty of undisturbed regular sleep in a completely darkened room.

A decent amount of protein as another poster said. That should pretty much cover the majority on the diet side.

Edit:
    EileenG wrote: »
    Fish oil is your best bet. It's used as a treatment for ADHD children.
    Indeed. Magnesium deficiency is also linked with ADHD. Most people do not nearly get enough magnesium in their diet. Magnesium also helps with sleep, which should affect alacrity during the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    alacrity

I had to google this.
    1. cheerful readiness, promptness, or willingness: We accepted the invitation with alacrity.
    2. liveliness; briskness.

Pretty much what I had guessed from context. Just thought others might benefit from it. Or maybe I'm just thick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Heh sorry, I only know that word from Deus Ex, it was one of the stat points you could upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

Same was queried on The afternoon show yesterday, excuse spelling, I's sure healthshop people will know what your talking about. Ithinacea (not to be confused with Echinacea) also confidence essence. Best of luck with exams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

you could try carnitine (alcar varsion) and or taurine

Advertisement