Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

R.I.P Robert Dunlop

• 15-05-2008 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭

Dunlop dies after motorbike crash

_44661247_robertdunlophead203.jpg Dunlop survived a major accident on the Isle of Man TT in 1994

Motorcyclist Robert Dunlop has died after suffering severe chest injuries in a crash in Thursday's practice session at the North West 200.
    Another Northern Ireland rider, Darren Burns, suffered a suspected broken leg and concussion in the accident, but is said to be stable in hospital.
    The accident happened in the 250cc qualifying as the riders approached the Mathers Cross Section of the course.
    Dunlop's brother Joey was killed in a racing accident in Estonia in 2000.
    The riders were travelling at speeds of about 160mph when the accident happened.
    Dunlop's bike appeared to seize and he went over the handlebars. He was rushed to the Causeway Hospital in nearby Coleraine, where he died from his injuries shortly after 2200 BST. Burns was following behind and was unable to avoid hitting the Ballymoney rider.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

RIP

another sad loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

RIP Robert..........Such a shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ah crumbs,........not a good month...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

R.I.P,what a waste of a life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Rip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Not another one. Very sad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RIP. Another loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just heard it in the pub tonight, I'm gutted! RIP Robert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Terrible news. Watched him win a 250 race (on TV) last week. Was telling the brother-in-law about it, and said to him that I really wondered why he hadn't hung up his boots already. I mean, his two sons were competing against him in the 125 race! He was interviewed, and asked why he was still racing, and he said (more or less) 'As long as the buzz is still there, I'll keep racing'.

RIP

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kaysersosay

another good one gone :mad: thanks for the enjoyment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

saw a picture of him earlier carrying joey's coffin after his accident, sad to see, RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

jesus,thats shocking ,r.i.p robert and thanks for the memories:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cir287

so sad to hear, thanks for all the memories, you'll not be forgotten.
    condolences to the family
    Godspeed.
    RIP Robert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Very Sad news, RIP Rob.

So harsh on his Family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pirate reject

I've just heard the news. Very sad

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Absolutely devestated.

R.I.P rab :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

R.I.P Robert. Will always remember watching your wins on the rotary Norton back in 1990 from the railway bank in portrush....great memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KramerDog

Another sad loss to Road Racing and of course a far greater tragedy for his family, a fear they must have had at the start of every new racing season. Having watched Robert and his brother Joey race on the roads for many years they both never seemed to have that desperation to win that other racers had and always seemed to ride with a built-in safety margin however small that I'm sure left them both believing they would avoid the dangers in the sport.
    Road Racing is a dangerous sport and there comes a time when you have to tell yourself that it's time to hang up the boots, you have rolled the dice for long enough and walk away. I hope some of the other current riders will learn from this sad event.
    Again, condolences to his family, Robert, rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Rest in Peace Robert "the Dunlop".

Rather than providing 'lessons learned' & 'stern advice' to other racers & sports people, I suggest that people be mindful of the fact that you don't know who might be reading posts on forums & how they are affected by this. Let the investigation, which is underway, into the incident make the recommendations & proposals for the future of the sport.

My deepest condolences to the Dunlop family & wider population of the Road Racing community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

R.I.P Robert

R.I.P Martin

All this is very sad... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

This is truly tragic, coming so soon after Martin's death, I'm really stunned, what can anyone say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    This is truly tragic, coming so soon after Martin's death, I'm really stunned, what can anyone say.

I think most race fans are feeling the same.

I was out of touch with everyone yesterday, had a ton of work to get through so had the phone etc off.

Switched on the radio this morning and thought I'd heard something about Robert Dunlop being killed, switched on the phone to ring around and was sick to my stomach when I got the messages from my brother.

Road Racing, its a terrible beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Jayus, I just heard. Very sad for the family.

RIP Robert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

R.I.P. Robert You will be missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

RIP Robert.
    2 deaths in 12 days, what is going on in this sport? The carnage needs to stop:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 banditboy

R.I.P Dunlop #4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

RIP, condolonces to family & friends, from myself and all the members of the Rock Rebels MCC, Cashel, Co. Tipp

Advertisement