Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

e39 530d economy

Options
  • 15-05-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I Bought an 2003 E39 530d (manual) last July. very happy with it bought it with 66,000miles now heading for th 88,000 mark. all it has cost me so far is Diesel.
    I am finding this car very economical averaging about 47mpg. My old 1998 s40 1.9d was only doing 44mpg.

My friends 02 Auto is only magaging 34mpg

I drive from Portlaose to Rathcoole every day so I suppose it a nice handy run with a smll bit of city driving but it still averages 47mpg(trip comp says 48-49)

I should add I use the Cruise control alot and set it at about 110-115km/ph.

What are other e39 diesel owners getting from there car and what are the newer e60 525d and 530d returning?

is the e60 520d not a bit underpowered for such a big car 4cyl?? whats its mpg like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 520d with EfficientDynamics more economical than a Prius even when 80% of the time in a Sunday Times test the conditions favoured the Prius.

The latest 177 bhp version with the aforementioned EfficientDynamics does 0-60 in just over 8 seconds, very good for an entry level 2.0 diesel Executive Saloon.

I am still of the opinion that Executive Saloons should really have 6 rather than 4 cylinders. The 520d isn't very cultured sounding, and at this level and size of car, not refined enough either.

So a 6 cylinder 5 series still wins out for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

trabpc wrote: »
    I am finding this car very economical averaging about 47mpg

That's amazing frugality from a 3 litre 6 cylinder engine!
    bought it with 66,000miles now heading for th 88,000 mark. all it has cost me so far is Diesel.

Did you not service it since you bought it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

They're a fantastic engine alright, you should get it chipped and see how much better it will be both on performance and economy. I chipped my X5 and it was like adding another turbo to it and way better on diesel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Agreed the 6cyl sounds more at home in the Car.

I should add ..sorry yes I gave it one service. Brake pads all round and full service after 11,000 miles due again in 2 weeks. Plus a €35 turbo filter and full synthetic oil cost €480 however i don't really count this as anything other than regular servicing what i should have said the car has not cost me anything above normal.

my old s40 volvo.. looking through old dockets was serviced 3 times in the 1st yr alone. Above the normal service I put in Ball joints, Bushings brake hoses and a Clutch!! costing weel over a 1200 on top of servicing!

You can't really compare a Volvo and a BMW to be honest, they're poles apart.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

i have an E39 2 litre petrol, doing about 17k miles a year, 34mpg average. Would a 3litre diesel be a cost saving purchase. My only quams is the increased motortax bill? Insurance shouldn't go up by much.

junkyard wrote: »
    You can't really compare a Volvo and a BMW to be honest, they're poles apart.;)

do you mean in reliability or looks, and know they are miles apart but I was just saying I put 1200 into the volvo in it first 12-13 months above servicing and I found it reliable and was happy with that. so do you think the BMW will cost me less in part over its life?

TAX
    530d 1200 a yr tax
    520-2.2 800 odd

400 difference don't know but at 17,000 a year I doubt it.

However I think they are completely different cars.

the 530 will also cost a little more to buy over the 520 so with that and tax you might not save much.

my Insurance is about 470 Fully comp with Glass cover.

i'm 31

i have an E39 2 litre petrol, doing about 17k miles a year, 34mpg average. Would a 3litre diesel be a cost saving purchase. My only quams is the increased motortax bill? Insurance shouldn't go up by much.

Probably not. Most people underestimate the transaction cost of changing cars. To top that up, the second hand car sales market here is as dead as it has ever been at the moment...

The BMW will hold it's money better too and won't cost as much on general wear and tear. As far as I'm concerned the E39 is a better car than the E60.

Hopefully, the 530d would be a swap(long story). basically in the short term to long term and daily bills would it be good economy for my wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I should add ..sorry yes I gave it one service. Brake pads all round and full service after 11,000 miles due again in 2 weeks.
    I would have thought the oil and filter should be changed a lot more frequently?

Not your ornery onager

Usualy do an oil change every 6k miles, filter every 12k. Whatever your having yourself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I have a 2002 E39 525d Touring Auto. I'm averaging around 35mpg but mainly around town and M50 so it's not really a fair comparison to the OP's 530d.

i'm sure i heard it somewhere, but cruise control "ON" restricts higher MPG, and an auto gearbox also restricts a high MPG.

the 530d would be a swap(long story)

Ok, so comparing just tax and fuel. Doing 17k miles per year. Tax is €590 on the petrol and €1,231 on the diesel. Following assumptions:

-petrol €1.20 per litre, diesel €1.25 per litre
    -if you can manage 34MPG out of the 6-pot petrol, you'd easily get 47MPG out of the 530d

You'll save yourself €30 per year going diesel :D

Even at 40k miles, the saving would be less than a grand...

That said, I'd have the 3l diesel over the 2 litre petrol any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

junkyard wrote: »
    The BMW will hold it's money better too and won't cost as much on general wear and tear. As far as I'm concerned the E39 is a better car than the E60.

e39 is a modern classic imo, residuals are taking a massive hammering here tho

which is a great thing if buying, crap if selling thp

• Registered Users Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

unkel wrote: »
    Ok, so comparing just tax and fuel. Doing 17k miles per year. Tax is €590 on the petrol and €1,231 on the diesel. Following assumptions:

-petrol €1.20 per litre, diesel €1.25 per litre
    -if you can manage 34MPG out of the 6-pot petrol, you'd easily get 47MPG out of the 530d

You'll save yourself €30 per year going diesel :D

Even at 40k miles, the saving would be less than a grand...

That said, I'd have the 3l diesel over the 2 litre petrol any day!

er, simple answer there is the 530i :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'd never choose diesel over petrol in general. I don't do a lot of driving, so economy is not a priority.

Apart from economy, diesel still is not as good as petrol, and probably never will be either. In saying that I don't have any problems driving derv powered motors, far from it in fact. I have no problem recommending people to choose derv power over petrol, and with the new VRT rules and more importantly the motor tax rules, you'd really want to have your head stuck in the sand NOT to choose diesel in a lot of cases. I love the torque at low revs!

But the petrol engine is undergoing a serious revolution at the moment, direct injection is clawing back a lot of the economy advantage that diesel has, and turbocharging is starting to restore the power advantage and more importantly is now giving the petrol engine that big shove at torque at low revs that diesel drivers and diesel fanboys love.

As direct injection gets better and more and more petrols start to have turbos fitted, the only disadvantages of petrol over diesel are going, meaning that once again petrol is unquestionably better than diesel like it always was until 5-10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Boots2006

'03 E39 530d auto here.

Best I've managed to get:
    53 mpg on a run at 90 kph (cruise control on)
    50 mpg at 100 kph

On a run, mainly national roads, not watching the mpg, including overtaking etc. I'd get 43-44 mpg regularly.
    City driving depends heavily on the traffic/route (lights etc.). Typically I'd get 29 mpg, that would include leaving it in Drive at the lights, and light enough traffic.

I do think that people generally overstate mpg figures though. e.g. to put the 29 mpg in perspective I once got 12 mpg :eek: driving 10 miles into the city centre, stuck in stop-start traffic the whole way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I've had the same experience with my 2003 530d Sport. Fantastic cars. My record was 62mpg over 200 miles :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

On the Manual v's Auto topic, I have had Auto and Manual 523i's, the Manual averaged about 30mpg while the Auto averaged about 24mpg, combined country and city driving (50% each ish) I now have an E39 M5 that averages 19.5mpg:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

E92 wrote: »
    Apart from economy, diesel still is not as good as petrol, and probably never will be either.

The SEAT team is doing quite well in the Diesels on the BTCC this year and are keeping many Top Petrol heads behind them :D:pac:

just wondering about that guy looking to change from 520 to 530d. Is his 520 an 2.2 or older 2.0. if its the 2.2 his tax would be 790 more like.

I usually use fully synthetic oil at €200 a fill if I was to change evey 6000 miles surely I should use a cheaper oil?

I still have 2 green lights left and I thought changing early at 11,000 using fully synthetic was good enough.

Whats the consensus here fully synthenic or regular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I had a 2003 530D M sport in auto......the onboard computer said i was averaging 38mpg but on a real "fill her up to the brim test and then fill it again and do the maths test", it was doing 33 in reality. The car was chipped to may i add.
    If anyone here is posting from onfo on their dashboard.........i'm sorry, its not accurate. The fill it to the brim test is the only true way of knowing your mpg imho.
    The driving i was doing was motorway stuff..........not urban.

Lovely car.........oodles of power, comfort and fun to drive.......I sold it there a while back........and miss it now.
    I'm looking at buying into the brand again.

If anyone here is posting from onfo on their dashboard.........i'm sorry, its not accurate. The fill it to the brim test is the only true way of knowing your mpg imho.

QFT

And measuring several fills in a row (rather than just the one fill) makes it more accurate again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

unkel wrote: »
    QFT

And measuring several fills in a row (rather than just the one fill) makes it more accurate again

+1.......agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Boots2006

I've done the brim-to-brim thing several times, and it was pretty much spot on each time (dash readout being within +/- 1 mpg of the pump figure)...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I currently have a 07 535d (auto) which is getting around 36mpg in a good mix of motorway and city driving, and thats reasonably aggressive driving

I did have an 06 pre ED 520d (auto) and was getting around 42 mpg

I Never trust the comp my self. My last 2 tanks brim to brim were 48mpg and 47mpg. comp said 50 and 49

e39 530d manual 80% motorway 20% city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm thinking of getting myself an auto 5 series as my next car - currently have a manual 01 320ci which is getting about 20-22 MPG and costing anywhere from €25-30 for a hundred miles (city driving). I love the car but I am wondering if I would get better results with say an auto 520d auto in the same setting?

Advertisement