Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

e39 530d economy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting myself an auto 5 series as my next car - currently have a manual 01 320ci which is getting about 20-22 MPG and costing anywhere from €25-30 for a hundred miles (city driving). I love the car but I am wondering if I would get better results with say an auto 520d auto in the same setting?
    You'll save some money, but you'll also be giving up a fantastic engine note and all the smoothness 6 cylinder motoring brings as standard, and of course the joie de vivre of a petrol engine.

A new petrol 6 cylinder 5 series should average around 38 mpg overall, or around 28 mpg in town.

A 525d should do around 34 mpg in urban driving for the manual, and 33 mpg for the Auto, while the 520d Auto does 37 mpg in a similar situation.

The cheapest option by far would be to stick with your current car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting myself an auto 5 series as my next car - currently have a manual 01 320ci which is getting about 20-22 MPG and costing anywhere from €25-30 for a hundred miles (city driving). I love the car but I am wondering if I would get better results with say an auto 520d auto in the same setting?

are you driving it in first fear all the time?

i get better than that with an m3 :confused:

Maybe he's fond of giving it plenty of stick - like I am with my 6 pot E34 which does nothing for the economy:D!

doubt he is giving it stick in city traffic :o

My bad:o!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Cyrus wrote: »
    doubt he is giving it stick in city traffic :o

You're right. I rarely get the engine above 4k rpm. When I do it's great but I'm no speed demon. It's all urban/city driving that I do, I thought that 22MPG was right on the numbers for this car - what are you getting Cyrus?

E92 tbh I'm not mad about speed or sound of an engine (though the M54 is smooth as silk) which is why I was considering the diesel 5. It's just I heard that while diesels are great for MPG on long journeys, the gap narrows considerably when it's all start-stop. If I only got a few extra MPG I don't think it would be worth it, and manufacturers figures are not always correct in a real world setting.

ah i suppose im not being fair, if i drove in that kind of traffic id get 14 or so, id also be gone mad!

ive just down 400 miles of long commuting at a cruise speed of 130 or so on motorways (gps speed not speedo) with some b road blasts and the trip computer is telling me 32 mpg, cant quiet believe it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I had a 2002 530d for a while and it averaged 42mpg - I thought that was the best you could get from these cars?

Obviously on a long (mainly motorway) journey it could average over 60mpg - are you doing lots of motorway driving? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

as I said before mainly 80% motorway.

Last week I drove maybe 30%city 70% Motorway at around 80mph

Brim-Brim 45.5mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Mine is the 2.0 version, pre-facelift(pre-september 2000)...

Usually get between 300 & 340 miles for 50e. This is not brim to brim, but i always put in 50quid and get the same milleage out. Yellow light is my tank empty, give or take a few miles.

Current driving is 90% motorway/10% city. Economical gear changes most of the time, some 3rd gear overtaking too.

But I need the justification money wise of getting a 530d, tax being my only concern, insurance not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

... i always put in 50quid and get the same milleage out.
    Ah, right Ted. Doesn't vary with fuel price then? :p

Not your ornery onager

If you read the rest of the post you would know what I mean. 50cent difference .isn't going to be a whole lot of miles. Stop nitpicking at nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I read it again, nothing there to qualify your statement.

Not your ornery onager

Usually get between 300 & 340 miles for 50e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

if petrol costs €1 per litre and you average 35mpg then €50 will return 385.46 miles.

if petrol costs €1.50 per litre and you average 35mpg then €50 will return 256.97 miles.

Thats 128.49 miles of a difference.

At the current price I'm paying €1.26 at 35mpg will return 318.666 miles.

If you read one of my previous posts I said I get between 300 & 340 miles for €50. is 318.666 miles not close enough to 320 miles for you?

You've taken my figures out of context, i should have said 50cent a fillup, not 50cent a litre extra. Why would you assume 50c a litre, when was the last time petrol was €1, and when will it be €1.50???

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

You've taken my figures out of context, i should have said 50cent a fillup, not 50cent a litre extra. Why would you assume 50c a litre, when was the last time petrol was €1, and when will it be €1.50???

FFS

€1 per litre, about 3 years ago
    €1.50 per litre, probably next week

chill;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Im looking at upgrading to a e39 530d at the moment around 2002ish. Im coving approx 22k a year... anyone any links to anything worth a look out there. Problem is im looking at a trade in on a 02 bora tdi cmfrtline with 78k on the clock...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

junkyard wrote: »
    They're a fantastic engine alright, you should get it chipped and see how much better it will be both on performance and economy. I chipped my X5 and it was like adding another turbo to it and way better on diesel too.

what sort of MPG do you get with your X5?

• Advertisement
Advertisement