Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smartcar?

Options
  • 16-05-2008 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Does anyone own or know anything about them? What are they like as a car for daily use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I know any guys/gals with the Roadster seem to really love them. There are a few users on Octane.ie that own or have owned one.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ive driven them plenty in the past.

Pros:
    Nippy enough
    Great for parking
    Stands out
    Great boot space!
    Pretty good on petrols
    Tiptronic so nice for longer driving

Cons:
    Hard to service (can also be expensive)
    Motorway driving is dodgy
    Poor Safety
    Suit 2 passengers (or 4 if the squish in the back)

I have to say. I loved driving them. Great fun and different. Always put a smile on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Made by Mercedes Benz and Swatch afaik. Very expensive here when new and limited dealerships so sold in very small numbers.

ForFour and Roadster are different though. Brabus versions are interesting.

Could be hard to shift though as this one has been on carzone for a long time:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Smart/forfour/BRABUS-1.5T/426477/

Many City-Coupe or ForTwo models seem to end up being used as novel ways of advertising businesses or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I've owned both the ForTwo and the Roadster. The ForTwo is nippy enough to deal with city traffic, but not the best for motorway driving, the wind influences direction a little too much.

The Roadster is a very fun car to drive. Feels much quicker than it actually is and has excellent handling. Fuel consumption on both is good, too.

Can't really comment on the safety of the ForTwo, but I can say the Roadster is very tough.

Servicing isn't that hard, it's more awkward than anything else with the rear needing to be removed for access to the lower spark plugs, and no actual oil sump.

Advertisement