Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any mayfly showing in your area?

Options
  • 16-05-2008 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

plenty showing along the river annalee around ballyhaise/butlersbridge in cavan. ive been catching plenty wild brownies all week to dry mays. heaven!
    landed a 2lb wild brown wednesday night, ate it this evening.. marinated it overnight in the fridge in rosemary/garlic and a tiny bit of french dressing- baked in tinfoil for about 20-25 minutes at 200deg..served with oven chips and fried mushrooms...mmmm what a feed after another evenings fishing!(the first one i brought home for the pan this year, ive been releasing the rest of them, even the over-1 lb-ers)
    anyway, such a joy to see the mayfly in good numbers, dancing high up over the trees , flying high and then parachuting down a bit and then back up... classjob!
    btw, have any of ye tried the "gink" dry-fly floatant?.. its brilliant, just a tiny dab between your thumb and forefinger- rub it into the hackles and give it a few minutes to dry. just try not to get any on the leader.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

The trout were having a feast yesterday! Unfortunately I dont know how to fly fish and yesterday my buddy and I sat at the bank in our little spot watching the trout on a mayfly frenzy. No interest in the juicy worms I got out of my grannys compost. The water was teeming with trout and the Mayfly were on some sort of Kamikazee mission. It was great to watch, the water bubbing! but ignoing our worms! We got one little fellah in the end. Ill just have to convert. I got about 7 nibbles but they must be full on fly and uninterested in anything else. I couldve had a spin through them it wouldve been like Mackie fishing! Ill have to go for lessons, any recomendations,cheaper the better some places are €40 an hour.

Sorry that was in Rathfarnham,Dublin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Flanum: Yes. Only two floatant formulas are worth it ... Gink and Permaflote.
    I like both.

Cormdogg: If you want to be shown how to flyfish on the Dodder call a DAA committee member number and ask on your club card. They will show you poss for free. Helpful guys.

Might do coolwings thanks. Ill have to be taking my patch off my coat and sticking it on something a little less heavey with this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Good hatches on Corrib today, lots of spent coming to the water after 6pm, fished dry fly for a few hours but couldn't hook a fish, loads of rises but not one proper take. Heard of huge hatches on Derg during the week. Mask starting to get a few, heard of a 15lbs fish taken on the dap on Tuesday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

coolwings wrote: »
    Flanum: Yes. Only two floatant formulas are worth it ... Gink and Permaflote.
    I like both.

Would you pay10 euro for a small bottle of water?? Gink is just Vaselene in tiny bittles and sold on for 50X the price

Permaflote : Old formulation, which is what I'm using works great
    - Silicone dissolved in carbon tetrachloride .......

I guess the local chemist or dry cleaners would have solvent, the silicone ... not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Cormdogg wrote: »
    The trout were having a feast yesterday! Unfortunately I dont know how to fly fish and yesterday my buddy and I sat at the bank in our little spot watching the trout on a mayfly frenzy. No interest in the juicy worms I got out of my grannys compost. The water was teeming with trout and the Mayfly were on some sort of Kamikazee mission. It was great to watch, the water bubbing! but ignoing our worms! We got one little fellah in the end. Ill just have to convert. I got about 7 nibbles but they must be full on fly and uninterested in anything else. I couldve had a spin through them it wouldve been like Mackie fishing! Ill have to go for lessons, any recomendations,cheaper the better some places are €40 an hour.

If that is the River Dodder you are talking about, the trout probably arent feeding on Mayfly as the Dodder doesnt get a Mayfly hatch. I'm going to try and get down there during the week though, I'd imagine it'll be good fishing.

Yeah ... on the Dodder it'll be Iron Blue Dun, Medium olive & Blue Winged Olive at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

10 of us fished corrib sat and sunday. Tough enough going but fish small and not so small had by all.
    I had three on sat best 4.25lbs:) and my boat partner blanked. She had three sunday and i blanked:o
    Light enough mayfly hatches and the fish didnt seem properly keyed onto them yet but if the breeze stays sw for a few days i reckon it will be bonanza time.
    A dapping competition outa greenfields on sat (jack kelly cup) was won with 3 fish for bout 4.5 lbs i think. Not certain of weight as i was a bit boozy from celebrating my new pb:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lough Derg has large hatches around it at present, with the small to medium brownies feasting on them, and the large, and sometimes huge, feral trout feasting on the brownies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

incidently, i caught a medium (3/4 lb) brownie on sun, great wee fighter, when i got him in, noticed a massive fresh inch-wide lump bitten out of his back, with the teeth marks on the other side.. pike, not mink id say. But anyhow, the wound was still very fresh but the wee fighter was still feeding heartily!!!! i released him gently back into the flow and off he shot! what hardy wee lads they are!

Advertisement